Choice of handgun for Home Defense

I would not want to fire a 357 in a small dark room - besides deafness, the blinding flash will interfere with any follow-up shots

Your main considerations should be where bullets that miss their targets might go (God forbid!)
Wife, children, neighbors, outside traffic etc are your main concern.
When you ascertain your wall strength, window locations, distance from neighbors, safest places to shoot from, etc... THEN have a look at your safest handgun options.
Good luck, stay safe, and God bless!

I keep three firearms in my bedroom. There is a 4.2" Ruger GP100 .357 magnum in my night stand. It would be my go to gun in a home defense situation. I store my CCW overnight in my dresser as a backup weapon. It is a Kahr CW9 compact 9mm pistol. I also keep an AR-15 under the bed with a couple of extra magazines incase I ever need it. The primary reason it is there is because it won't fit in my gun case in the den though. My wife is comfortable using the Ruger and the Kahr, but not the AR-15. I think that is an important factor if you have a family to defend. There is no guarantee that you will remain standing for the whole fight if your home is invaded overnight. Someone needs to be able to take over for you, which requires that they be comfortable with the weapon you were using.

i truly believe the best dedicted home defense weapon is a serbu super shorty style, since you said the ability to CC in the future with your HD gun i guess i would go 357mag

my 357 sleeps with me, shotgun next to the door and ar next to the bed, i figure the ar wouldnt really come to play unless i am checking outdoors, the shotgun is for bumps in the night, and the 357 is with me in case someone gets into my room while asleep

but having children can really change things, if you get the jump on a bad guy near your kids room you could have a possble hostage situation, in that case i would still feel most condifent with a SA/DA revolver, i would not feel confident takng a head shot next to a childs with a DAO

I was kind of leaning towards a Smith and Wesson. 357 Revolver with a 3 or 4 inch barrel.

I'd use a rifle but there is nothing wrong with your choice. If you are going to conceal it later get the 3". Just keep in mind it will fireball on you with that short barrel and full power loads.

I have two Springfield 1911-A1s set up with a Surefire X300. Makes a great HD pistol, and snap off the light, and it slips into a CCW holster.

For revolvers I like my Ruger SP101 in 357mag the best. For home use any good 38Special self defense round. I also have a S&W 38 Bodyguard. It is a good gun, but I shoot the Ruger better.

For Semi auto, my favorite is a Ruger SR9c. I have a Glock27 as well, but still like the Ruger.

All together I have 5 semi auto pistols, and 6 revolvers, ranging from .22lr to 44Mag.

Last edited:
At home, you have the advantage of going with a bigger gun. Personally I would pick my benelli nova shotgun. For me, that's the easiest weapon I can use. If your more comfortable with a handgun, then go with a handgun. Glock 17 for me. Just whatever feels natural to you. Because your best gun, is the gun you know how to use.

For middle of the night, you're really going to want a light on it. I'd suggest a Glock 19 with a light and 124 grain JHP.

Personally, I have a Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm) with a light.

Practice, Practice, Practice!

I only keep 1 firearm ready to go. Since I carry, that means my carry weapon is also my HD weapon. Glock 19 Gen 4 plus a spare does it for me. I have two copies, and I shoot and dry fire those and a 23 Gen 4 very regularly. Live fire 100/week lately, plus dry fire 3-4 days/week.

For middle of the night, you're really going to want a light on it.
Maybe if you live alone.

But if you have kids or a wife or a girlfriend or room-mates, then just keep a flashlight near your pistol.
That way you don't have to point your pistol at one of your loved ones just to light them up.

And you can keep the flashlight away from your body, since a bad guy might just shoot at the light.

XD 45. 13 rounds of 45 is awesome.

As others have noted, you will want to try some guns and find one you can both shoot and carry. Practice.

For me, there are plenty of guns in the safe. The day you need one at home, it would take too long to open the safe and load. So the home defense piece is the everyday carry piece. For me that is the Ruger LCP. Small, light and easily carried in a pocket anywhere.

My choice is my Ruger SR1911. I'm a newbie, so that's my only choice besides a S&W MP22 that I own.

I keep it in my nightstand, BUT I don't keep it cocked and locked as a sort of safety against my sleepiness - just a magazine full of JHP's. But should I worry about it? Am I being too much of a paranoid newbie by not keeping it cocked and locked?

I have a Beretta 92FS Vertec....but since it's no longer available I'd recommend a good revolver - such as a S&W 686/586 4". Very reliable and wonderful sights.

Laura

Back