Choice of handgun for Home Defense

When I'm asked this question I always say get a shotgun and have ServePro on speed dial. :)

I use a colt detectives special and an Remington 870 shotgun for home defense.

I prefer a handgun to a shotgun because it is hard to answer the door casually with a shotgun, and it is a little less maneuverable.

We talk about home defense like it is going to be some sort of systematic assault, but more often then not it is something like a stranger at the door, a child arriving home at an unexpected time with a friend or a drunk. Being able to check things out with a firearm available but not obvious is a benefit in those situations. A long arm can be either too provocative or get left behind for fear that it will be.

Home defense weaponry should be a well rounded thought. A handgun is a good idea for quick applications and home searching (not a good idea unless you have been specially trained in this activity). Shotguns are great for a safe room (where your family holds out, calls 911, and waits for the cavalry). A rifle can be beneficial if you are in a country setting and your neighbors are not close. I live in a small city but have at least one of each available. My handguns for this are a Beretta 92F, 4" S&W model 686, 4" S&W model 28, 4" S&W model 10, 3"S&W model 65. My wife's home defense handgun is a 2 1/2" S&W model 66. With the right ammunition a 3 or 4 inch S&W revolver will serve you very well. My shotgun is a 20" Remington 870 Wingmaster. My rifles are a Colt AR-15 SP1 and a Beretta CX4 Storm set up to match my 92F. Another piece of equipment is a good high output flashlight. A bright flashlight may blind the invader to the point they don't want to fight. I new of a guy many years ago who used a 1,000,000 CP rechargeable spotlight. With that shining at the subject he never had to fire his Colt 45 ACP.

For general HD like answering the door, investigating an unusual sound, etc. a four inch K-frame S&W in .357 or .38 spl. is my choice. Either one loaded with .38spl. +P158 gr. LSWCHP ammo. For those loud smash/bang door shattering sounds I prefer a shotgun loaded with Buckshot. YMMV. tom. :cool:

I keep a 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded with #1 buckshots at home.

I also keep a glock 23 in my emergency supply box. We have earthquake in Southern California. In case the big one comes, I can still dig out the boxes (20mm cannon ammo cases) from under the rubbles. The supply will keep our family going for a week on a stretch, and the glock will be the tool for security if needed.

With the glock, I also have drop-in barrels for 9mm Luger and .357 sig, and some other spare parts. Extra ammunitions are stored at separate locations.

I have other pistols. I usually shoot them single-handed bullseye style. But for the glock, it is in two-hand Weaver's stand.

-TL

My nightstand pistol is a S&W model 64 .38 special. In the closet is a Mossberg pistol gripped Tactical 500 12 gauge.

I was kind of leaning towards a Smith and Wesson. 357 Revolver with a 3 or 4 inch barrel.

That's my choice. I have a S&W 686 with a 3" barrel. It's a 357 Mag, but I load it with Speer 38 Special +P 135g Gold Dot "Short Barrel" ammo.

Inside a house, full power 357 magnum rounds are way too loud. They also tend to flash via barrel and barrel/cylinder gap. I don't need to be temporarily blinded and rendered deaf. A properly placed 38+P round is about as effective as any.

It's going to come down to what you are proficient at shooting. But revolvers are simple and don't give your mind anything to think about other than aim and fire. There's a lot to be said for that.

If you are new to firearms, a revolver in .357/.38 special is a good place to begin. Smith & Wesson would be my first choice, but Ruger makes fine revolvers as well. Find a range where you can rent several models and see what works well for you. The snub nosed revolver has a proven track record since the 1920's. It's easy to carry, and will get the job done.

I usually have my 1911 on my hip or the night stand. It has enough firepower to hold off someone until i can get to the 20 gauge. I feel the shotgun is a much better home defense weapon, but it is a little tough to carry the long gun around the house all day long.

Home defense handgun is usually what I carry. I carry 24/7, the past year it's been a Glock 19 that sports a Streamlight TLR-1s sometimes and sometimes doesn't.

Prior, it was the SIG Sauer P226 or Glock 21, 17, 34, with the same light.

I have a little over 6 magazines out for my Glock 9mm's including one 33 rounder.

Hurricane/power outages my AR-15 comes out for night duty.
Sometimes my AR comes out for no reason at all.

I recommend a shotgun for home defense, but haven't trained with one. Given my research they make the most sense.

I stick to my Glock 19 and/or AR-15 which has 7 magazines out.

Buzzcook said it all. The only thing left out is a Hi-Point in 45 so when you run out of bullets you can throw the darn thing at em for a kill clocking.

I would use anything before a 357Mag

Too much power

I still like the autofeeds

Glock, Sig, H&K, XD

All very good choices

Snake

Plus 1 on post #28....

I agree with post #28.
Many gun owners or license holders do not put the practical elements of what a home invasion or break in will really be.
It will be in low light, during hours or times where you might be asleep or "off guard".
You'll be on the phone or using a alarm to contact 911 or a security service(if you have that plan).
Your kids, spouse, pets, etc will be amped up & either freaking out or in their home defense mode(if you already had that plan or system in place, ;) ).
You may need to fend off a attacker or some strung out junkie who lunges at you for your weapon. A M4 or patrol rifle might not be as swift as a .357magnum snub or a compact pistol with a white-light/strobe.

Lenny Magill, www.gunvideo.com put out a well made home defense video several years ago, both he & his lovely wife advocated a simple DA 3"/4" .38spl or .357magnum revolver for basic home protection.

That's good advice for most shooters/license holders.

I don't have a handgun for home defense. I have about half a dozen, discretely dispersed about my premises. I am never more than a few feet from one or another. They are all revolvers. Calibers include .38Spcl/.357Mag, .44 Special, .44Magnum, .45 Colt, and .45ACP. Their intended role is to defend myself on the way to my closet where a very handy AK47 Underfolder and a Remington 1100 await.

All are on a regular rotation for trips to the range.

When you choose a handgun, you have to understand some factors.

1. you cannot care about shooting great aunt emmas china hutch or what the other relatives will say about you doing so.

2. Ideally, you need a firearm that will render great aunt emmas china hutch and your fold out couch into something useless for a criminal to hide behind for safety.

3. Taken 2 is a more realistic outlook on how a home invasion is going to go down. Expect at least two thugs at one time. And be prepared to shoot till your barrel turns red and melts.

Well 357 is an awful good caliber. So is 45 colt and 44 special. SO is a wheel gun in 45acp that can be loaded to .460 rowland type fun.

A long gun will generally trump a handgun for self-defense. If you're certain that you can stay barricaded with a single room and not have to assure safety of kids and other loved ones, the best place to be is behind cover farthest from likely entry portal. If you have to leave your room for any reason, a long gun becomes a liability.

For me, the best is a 1911A1. For others, it's what they shoot best and are most comfortable.

horselips,

I am curious of where you live.

How do you plan to control the various guns you have about your home? In other words, how would you prevent an intruder from getting one or more of them?

horselips said:
I have about half a dozen, discretely dispersed about my premises. I am never more than a few feet from one or another.
I used to do something like that. In a small house or an apartment staging weapons isn't that complicated. But I just moved to a three-story house and I realized that it's a lot simpler just to concealed carry inside my house as well as outside. Now I don't have to worry about where the closest firearm is because I just have it on me whenever I'm not in the shower or in bed.

Back