Charter Arms Forum?

Finally found a place that has the Pachmayr gripper grips for the CA guns. I ordered two, one for my Pitbull and the other for the Bulldog.

"Bulldog, Pit bull, and Pug....Gives new meaning to the term "Release the hounds". "
That is funnly. If you want a good deal on a revolver for self-defense Chater Arms is it. Made in USA. Not for shooting all the time, but a couple hundred rounds a year and they are perfect.

.40 Pitbull

Count me in for wanting a Charter Arms forum. I just bought my second one today. It's a .40 S&W Pitbull.
I just got one, too. Same reason, thinking of a gun for the wife (not that I wouldn't want it....)

I found the thing very picky about ammo. I reload, and I have a .40 Sub 2000. The load I developed for the Sub 2000 (135 gr. Nosler over a max load of Unique) wouldn't shoot worth beans in the Pitbull. Shot way low, and patterned like bad buckshot.

Finally found it likes heavy bullets. A light powder load with a Berry's 180gr. HP bullet shoot beautifully, and right to point of aim. Could shoot it all day long.\

ETA: I would definitely use a Charter Arms forum.

Well finally some good news on my search for Pachmayr Gripper grips for my "dogs". I exhausted all the online dealers. NOBODY had them in stock. So I went on E-Bay. Got one brand new set for $19 and a used/like new set for $12. I'll report back on how they feel and how they work at the range.

Dave: Think I will try some factory load 180 grain for the Pitbull next time I go to the range. :)

One thing I really like about Charter is there fantastic customer service.....

A story.....I went in a LGS and saw a older Charter 38 snubbie in the used gun section ( the corner away from everything ,had a knifes around it...you know that corner) The price was 150.00 ..I asked to see the revolver, it was tight , overall great shape...I asked the store owner about the little gun...,He said "I don't like'em ..my brother once hit a man in the head with one and the grip broke"

I asked if he would take 5.00 for it ..he said , "no way !!!" ,are you crazy ?

I said no..I just thought with the 5.00 you could buy your brother a hammer....:)

We settled on 100.00....:D

Last edited:
Great news!

Got BOTH my Pachmayr Gripper grips for my Pitbull and Bulldog. Put them both on. First impression....WOW! They feel MUCH better than the factory rubber grips. And the grips fill my hand much better and are a softer rubber than the factory ones. Squeezing the trigger double action also requires less effort and is more comfortable. I'll post feedback on actually shooting with them when I get the chance.:D

Hey, I'm up for a Charter forum.

I can't turn around without finding a Charter "orphan" at a good price (and of course, buying it).:rolleyes:

Currently, I'm up to five Charters, but just put a vintage Bulldog on layaway. I needed a 6th one anyway. :D

^^Yah, I, also.

I recently had a half-dozen, 3 Undercovers and 3 .44s (Bulldog SS, Bulldog, and Pug) all either Stratford or Bridgeport guns, but let my friend trade me out of one of the .38s and the Stainless Bulldog.

I've given away two or three of the Undercovers over the years.

I'm a big fan and have been for a long time.

Buckeye, are you the same on 24 hour? If so, I'm really pleased with the Redhawk!!

Best,

Will

I tell you what I have 2 boards One for Bersa and one for America classic 1911's I have a revolver section on 1911 board . If I can get enough interest for you all I will ad a Charter Arms section on my 1911 board. If it goes and grows I might consider a 3rd board I added a KelTec years ago on the Bersa and it has some traffic

I have owned a couple of the 38's and at present have a older 44 special I like the pistols just never considered a board . By way these places can be a lot of work I spend several hours a day on mine . So If your really serious and interrested PM me here

Pitbull 5" 40 S&W on the way

I have a Glock 22 I carry as a duty weapon and have another Glock 22 I use the lower on a Mechtech upper making it a carbine.
I reload for the 40 and wanted a revolver in 40 caliber.

I choose a Charter Arms Pitbull with the 5" barrel.
A call to Charter Arms and it was ordered, also a letter and some other stuff.

It should be here this week, here is a photo from the web.

10526238743_3e6c67e6bf_o.jpg

WOW! Never knew they made a 5 inch barrel!!! Looks great. How is recoil with that barrel? That is the only complaint I have with my Pitbull. Every dang round I have tried has had brutal recoil. I started with 180 grain, then 165 and then 155. All were real kickers. I have some Winchester Ranger in 135 grain FMJ/FP and hopefully that will be okay.
I've been trying to buy a Charter Undercover in .38 Special but no luck. Seems like all the wholesalers are out of them. I may have my LGS contact Charter direct and see if he can get one that way.

That is the only complaint I have with my Pitbull.
Every dang round I have tried has had brutal recoil.

Yep, that's my .44 Special Charter as well,,,
It's no surprise because it's essentially a J-frame,,,
That's an awfully big bullet for such a small framed handgun.

I don't like shooting .40 S&W in any platform,,,
In a revolver I'll bet it's punishing.

Aarond

Actually, I have no problem shooting the .44 Special out of my Bulldog. I put on Pachmayr Compaq grips and they are much better than the factory neoprene grips. Definitely do NOT use any kind of +P or hot .44 Special in the Bulldog. For carry use Charter recommends Winchester Silvertip and I just shoot Remington LRN or Cowboy Action loads for practice. The main downside to .44 Special is the price of the ammo. :(

I like my .44 Bulldog enough that last week I picked up an undercoverette in
.32 mag. Both are good lightweight guns for CCW here where it's usually HOT outside. Might even pick up a third in .357!

I too think they are good guns for the price and didn't realize how popular they were until I saw this thread.

Got the Charter Arms in.
Shot 50 rounds of 180 grain reloads through it at steel targets.
200 grain bullets were a hair to long overall to fit in the chambers.
They would not seat all the way in.

No issues whatsoever with the revolver.
The 40 cal cases seat in the chamber and click in so no moon clips are required.
It shot low and to the right so I will need to bench rest and sight it in.

I shot metal plates and the gun functioned like a wheel gun should.

The single action is crisp at about 4 pounds, the double action is double action....

The stainless is a brushed finish. The fit was good from what I could tell and appears functional.

For the price, less than 400 bucks, I think it is a good value.

10844915284_1b5c64eabd_c.jpg

Back