Charter Arms Forum?

A couple of days ago, I decided to buy a dremel to play around with. This is my first project... custom grips for my Bulldog .44 Special. Started out with 1/2" thick Bocote wood... ended up with these. I'm going to leave the finish a little "rough" like this for practical gripping reasons 'cause it's one of my SD guns... (Not a barbecue gun... Still, it's sort of on the fancy end in terms of my humble collection.)
SNV32771.jpg

Last edited:
Count me in for wanting a Charter Arms forum. I just bought my second one today. It's a .40 S&W Pitbull.

pitbull.jpg

My .44 Special Bulldog (Charter 2000) has been 100% reliable and everything on it has remained tight and like brand new. Is it as pretty as a Model 60? Nope. But somehow I don't think the bad guy will give a dang about how pretty it is when he is eating lead from it. :D

Just got my stainless Bulldog and really like it. worth every penny. I don't plan on shooting it much, so it is perfect for me. As for the forum - YES!

Range report for Charter Arms Pitbull

Just got back from the range with my wife. I was hoping the Charter Arms new Pitbull in .40 S&W would be okay for her to use. It isn't. At least, not in the ammo I was using. I had a box of Federal 165 grain FMJ. I figured recoil would be fairly mild. I had fired the same stuff in a SIG P226 and recoil was easy to handle. But the Pitbull is VERY light and doesn't have a hand-filling grip. My wife saw the look on my face and told me "no thanks". I didn't force the issue. The palm of my right had was bright red after only 25 rounds. I packed it back up and put it back in the range bag. I may try it with 135 grain ammo in the future. For now, it stays in the box. As far as reliability it was just fine. No misfires. A couple of times the spring-loaded lip that catches the cartridge rim overrode the rim and it was a bit finicky to get the shell out. But I think that was user incompetence and not the guns fault. I was used to just slapping the extractor rod like with a normal rimmed cartridge. Can't do that with the Pitbull. Once I turned the gun so the barrel was pointed up and just pushed the extractor rod firmly, they all came out with no problem. I notice that Pachmayr makes "Gripper" grips that should fit the Pitbull. I may invest in a set. :D

My first firearm: Charter Arms .38 SPL.
DSCN0584.JPG

DSCN0583.JPG

I still have that gun. Box, sales reciepts, everthing!
It says BULLDOG on the front of the box.
UNDERCOVER on the left side of the box.
3" bbl. MODEL 13831.
Made in Bridgeport, CONN. on, get this, ASYLUM STREET. :eek::D

The Pachmayr Compac(sp.?) grip works well on this.
But speedloaders, like the HKS, don't like to squeeze in too well.
The gun may be smaller, but I think the grip is available for the larger-frame Charter Arms revolvers.

In your .40 - - - I wonder if 180-gr. ammo might actually give a more pleasant recoil impulse than the 165's.
I'm curious as to how the 135's will feel and where they'll shoot to at 20-50 feet.

Cripes...I just tried to order the Pachmayr Gripper grips and it seems like everyone is on back order. I can get them direct from Pachmayr, but that is big $$. I wanted to pay around $25-$28. Not $35+.

180 grain may be less recoil. I'm just not crazy about that bullet weight. I can use .44 Special or .45ACP if I want slow and heavy in a bullet. The 155-165 grain bullets are pretty hot and good self defense loads with decent velocity. The 135 grain should give less recoil due to the lighter bullet. But again, I'm not crazy about that bullet weight either. Might as well use 9MM at that weight. I think the change in grips will solve my recoil problems. At least, I hope so. :D
Worse case scenario, I can use Winchester PDX-1 in 180 grain for the heavy bullet. I can tell you about how the 135 grain shoots at 20 feet. But my eyes are too old for 50 feet. :)

Charter forum

Yep,sign me up 44spl Bulldog Pug owner here.I would love to compare loads and here from others who have tried different things such as grips or spring kits or other mods they have made or are considering.

Well I can say the Speer Gold Dot 200 grain HP was very nice out of my .44 Bulldog. I need to order another box of that stuff. But the factory rubber grips on both the Bulldog and Pitbull were too small to be comfortable for any amount of shooting.

Back