CCW for extremely light clothing?

My philosophy for choosing a concealable carry gun is that it must be concealable. I choose an LCP. It fits in my hip pocket and is no more uncomfortable than my wallet in the other pocket. I use my handkerchief as a (sorta) pad to cover the print. I don't use a holster to avoid extra material or thickness. Come summer with shorts I don't see a change in habits. For me, and IMHO, it is the perfect carry gun. I also have a Walther style PX22 and a Beretta 21A. Slightly larger and have a couple 'catchies' that can hinder pulling out of the pocket. The Ruger LCP is smooth and free of those 'catchies'. Great feature.

My feeling is you're a perfect candidate for IWB carry. Thin guys can carry pretty large guns this way w/o printing.

Like other posts, I think you might try any of the following:

Ruger LCP or Sig P238 or Kahr .380, if that's ur thing
Sig p938 still my favorite due to size/caliber/safety/NS/etc, but more costly
Kahr CM/PM40/9 due to most caliber/for smallest size w/no beaver tail irritations. Reliability is only concern as I've only owned CM40 for three weeks now w/100rds through it thus far.
Glock 27/26 is awesome. Only drawback is weight/width. That keeps mine in safe more than on my waist but with your build, you might be fine with it. I'm 5'11" and 185# for reference.

My favorite, most comfortable/hidden holster would be the Stoner IWB w/body shield deep-conceal option, single clip, second place is Crossbreed mini-tuck or micro-clip(for .380), third choice is cheap, light, but tiny Don Hume soft pocket single clip.

Good luck and, most importantly, don't skimp on cost for this gun. A really cheap gun is exactly that. I see guys all the time buying unreliable guns to save $100. One of my recent customers insisted on a used Cobra for $150 found online instead of a new Ruger LCP I could get him for an extra $150.

Don't go cheap!....

A big problem many new CCW license holders & new armed officers(police, EP agents, federal agents, etc) do is cut corners or buy gear-kit that's sub-standard.

A decent holster or gear might cost more but it can last years with proper care.
New synthetic & polymer designs are a great benefit. They allow a holster to be converted quickly or to be cleaned/repaired with ease.
Leather & exotics like horsehide, shark, bull, etc can work very well too.
Top names for holsters & gear include; Galco, Kirkpatrick Leather, Greg Kramer, Milt Sparks, El Paso Saddlery, Don Hume, Blade-tech, Mitch Rosen, Ted Blocker, Alessi, Mernickle, Wright Leather Works, High Noon Holsters, Safariland, Blackhawk.
I'm impressed with the Wright Leather Works Predator. It has a body-shield & a front band to aid re-holstering.
A serious concealed holster or defense rig show allow you to quickly re-holster without needing to look down or fumble around.

reading all the penetration vs expansion type tests on 380, I use fmj.
Waiting for the 100 plus grain cast to come in, and will use those once I check them out.
or reload them myself, if I can find any bullets that weight.

I've tried:
Colt Officers Model
S&W 3913
S&W M60
Kahr MK40
S&W CS45
Back to the M60 with Barami Hip-Grip

The M60 is the only one listed above that I still have.

Now I carry the LCP in Uncle Mike's Size 10 IWB worn at 1:00. You can sit down easily and comfortably. Small and light enough to carry all the time, 7 shots (stats say most gunfights last 2 rounds). Shirt is untucked, gun is next to invisible.

Last edited:
A guayabera shirt and any pistol in nearly any holster you want. I carry either a commander or full sized 1911 in an IWB holster at 4:00.

The real question is "how much are you willing to train with whatever gun you decide upon"?

The choice of a gun can be subjective in many ways, but some truths arise nonetheless:
  • .380 can be effective, but it's not in the same league as 9mm/.40S&W/.45ACP. It's just not. No seriously, are we still having this conversation?
  • Snub-nose revolvers and pocket-autos are harder to shoot well.
  • Bigger guns are easier to shoot well than smaller guns, given the same amount of rangetime. What that means is that very small guns (LCP, PM9, etc.) will require a greater investment of time on your part.
  • Having more bullets (of whatever caliber) is better than having fewer. Double that if you don't train regularly.

Without trying to be snarky or rude, it's important to note that you have to take a step back and evaluate your real goals. Is your real goal in life to be a snappy dresser (or whatever) ... with a firearm barely an afterthought, provided it doesn't mess with your "feng shui"? If so, stop worrying about what you get, and just get the best and cutest fashion accessory that hits your eyes.

If you are at all concerned about carrying an actual self-defense tool, this doesn't mean you have to abandon all hope in the wardrobe department. It might mean that you'll have to accommodate some compromises. One of those may be dressing "around the gun" a bit, another might be carrying a less than a super-extra-blammo firearm.

And again, the biggest thing is training and practice. If you are unwilling to make some small commitments in that area, I'd consider pepper spray as an alternative.

Last edited:
I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a THEIS IWB holster and really like the setup. I'll post a pic here if I can find it. The BG has been flawless and has performed perfectly for me. My dad also has a similar setup, a Ruger LCP with a THEIS IWB holster and he really likes it as well...
3any4eny.jpg

3yqe7ehu.jpg

Very small and easy to conceal setup. Also very comfortable as well. I highly recommend THEIS holsters and he stands behind his products as well.

In the summer, I usually wear relatively tight fitting jeans, as well as t-shirts. I'm 6-foot, 170 pounds, so pretty slim.

As long as you don't mean a tight fitting T shirt as well, you'll do just fine with an IWB set up.

Tight jeans and pocket carry don't work well together IMO. Makes an already difficult draw even more difficult. Same would be true with "Thunderware" type holsters.

If you are wearing a tight fitting T shirt with the tight pants, you are REALLY going to be limiting yourself as to any kind of practical carry.

A loose fitting dark colored T shirt will conceal a LOT of gun assuming you're using a high quality holster and (VERY IMPORTANT) a High Quality stiff belt. Dept store belts just don't do a good job of supporting the gun.

The best piece of carrying advice I ever got was to NOT cheap out on the blet/holster combo. Of course I didn't listen, and went through a bunch of junk before I started using a quality rig.

I wear shorts and t-shirts almost exclusively during the 7-8 warm months around central Texas and my daily carry is in the front right pocket of whichever cargo shorts I'm wearing, usually a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster ... I hate feeling leather or kydex against my skin, so the pocket is it for me ... I carry a spare mag in a carrier in the weakside pocket opposite the gun ... In cooler weather I carry a larger gun in a belt holster on my strong side, tho I do cross-draw the Kahr in a kydex paddle holster if I'm in the mood ... once you choose, practice drawing ... I do a dozen draws from concealment every morning with an empty gun and I'm pretty fast on target from whereever the gun is hiding ..

Still lots of great suggestions. The guy at the gun shop is going to have a long day with me. :D

For those of you who are making the "a big gun is the only way to carry" argument; I have already decided what type of firearm that I want. There is no changing my mind. If you would like to recommend a firearm/setup, be my guest. However, this is not a thread for discussing what TYPE of firearm.

Again, I am not willing to change my wardrobe much. I always carry a knife, which I train with, as well as my martial arts background. I will put in multiple hours a week training with my firearm/setup, whatever I decide on. If you don't agree with my carry style, message me and we can talk about it, but that kind of stuff isn't for this thread.

@DaftHazard - I think you have the exact right attitude, just don't be afraid to re-evaluate your equipment after you've had a chance to work and train with it.

The pocket .380 in hand is better than the .44 Magnum left at home, and while they're easy to carry, there are always better options for fighting. Worst case is that you have to trade it in or sell it if you find it doesn't work for you. (And if you're in a 'free' state, finding someone willing to buy it will not be a problem.)

My youngest son is 6'1" and weighs 175lbs.

He's carrying a Shield 9mm in a Raven Concealment Phantom holster that has the attachments to permit wearing it IWB & OWB.

I carry a SW M60 jframe whenever I wear just a T-shirt and shorts during the summer. I use a IWB holster.

I generally never wear just a plain white t-shirt when I wear shorts, however if I do, the jframe is small enough for me to simply tuck in my pocket.

When I moved from Seattle to Florida a few years ago I discovered my Glock 19 was too heavy and bulky to CCW when wearing lightweight summer clothing. After some research I chose a Kahr PM-9. One reason I chose it was because it had the same manual-of-arms as my Glock 19 so all my training and manipulations smoothly carried over to the Kahr. I ordered a Milt Sparks leather Executive's Companion IWB holster for the PM-9 (which is the same holster I use for the Glock 19).

I usually wore a muscle t-shirt and a lightweight short sleeve button-up shirt, completely unbuttoned, as a concealment garment. On breezy days I'd have to button the bottom button to keep the shirt from blowing up and revealing my pistol. The Kahr, Milt Spark's holster, and my manner of dress all worked very well for me during the 6 1/2 years I lived in central Florida.

I also carried a Seecamp .32 ACP pistol in one of my pockets, in a leather pocket holster from Ryan Grizzle Leather. I chose this pistol specifically for it's size and weight. (I hate carrying things in my front pants/shorts pockets, especially on summer days when I'm all hot & sticky with sweat.) In addition the smaller size allowed me to be much more responsive in being able to quickly draw my pistol from my pocket when I had sweaty hands. This was my "out the door to run a quick errand" pistol for those times when I didn't want to stop and jock up with the IWB holster for the PM-9.

(I've since returned to the Seattle area and I'm back to carrying my trusty Glock 19 most of the time.)

Good luck to you!

I am not willing to change my wardrobe to fit around a firearm.

Such a blanket statement is silly. But whatever. If you go pocket gun, a J frame works well in shorts of light weight cargo pants. I have little sympathy for fashionista proclamations of needing tight fitting jeans.

BTW, SWAT just had a great article on comparing a G19 vs an LCP and J frame.

Living in heat, I find that an OWB covered by a big old floppy light weight shirt and a t-shirt underneath works fine. But I'm not making a statement.

DaftHazard

Some good info here and a lot of great ideas. Some may fit you and others not so much but all are valid.

I can tell you my reasons for what I use.
1. Paddle holster over IWB. I don't like the way pants fit that are an inch or two bigger in the waist. Here in the south I want to keep the gun away from my sweaty body as possible won't rust as much, even SS.(the sp101 won't rust) I can remove the holster quickly without loosening my belt which I am sure would result in a lot of unneeded attention when the pants hit the ground. I like carrying on the hip. Have tried Thunderware, Belly band (too hot), Smart carry (can't get to gun when sitting) ect .

2. Revolver instead of SA. I reload most everything I shoot and I just can't crawl around on the ground picking up brass anymore (too old or got smart...haven't decided which). I shoot a lot more if my brass is all in a can on the tailgate when I am done shooting. I don't need 10 rounds and 2 mags because the chances of me needing to stop that many people is slim. If I practice a lot I can make the shots count.

3. I carry a .357 because it will do everything I need it to do and does it louder. I want everyone to know when I pull the trigger that I mean business and maybe I won't need that second shot.

Bottom line is that you have to try everything for a while and you decide what is better for you. Just remember the goal is to practice as much as possible with what ever you choose.

Back