CCW 7 Rounds of .45ACP or 11 Rounds of 9MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If you seek peace, prepare for war"

my real life experience is what i go by. yea i was suckered into buying a .45acp handgun just by the looks of the big fat round. don't care for all those internet charts either.

in real life i would shoot gators(8' or bigger) in the head with a 9mm or .45acp. both weapons used the same brand hollow points. the 9mm always stopped them with one shot. their limbs would stretch out and they would shake. with the .45acp, one shot would make them twist n turn and i had to wait for a second shot to finish them.

i no longer own any .45acp handguns. if i need more than a 9mm for the rare 12' gators, i go for the .44 mag.

even if i lived in commie states like california or new york, i would still choose a 10 shot 9mm for ccw.

Recently Picked up a .45 for CC

Here's my take, you can buy 8-round chip mccormick mags, and have an extra one in the chamber. If you go that round, you're debating the possibility of 9 rounds of .45 vs 11 9mm. If that's the case, I'd rather have the .45. I am also aware that there are places you can get 10 rd mags as well. If you're carrying extra mags. 9 rounds in the gun, and 10 rd spare mags is not a bad way to go. That being said, I am not one to say "get a .45 and be a man!" If you can shoot the 9mm more accurately and more quickly, go with that. I personally like the peace of mind that I get from my .45.

I highly doubt this conversation would ever happen:
bad guy-- "Oh s*** you pulled a gun on me, wait. Is that a .45 or a 9mm?"
you-- "It's a 9mm"
bad guy-- "Oh good, for a second there, I thought I was in trouble. I'm just going to act like you don't have a gun. OK?"

Whatever you pull on him he'll probably not want to mess with you

Very often I opt for the G19 for it's higher round count. Almost always carry a spare mag for either the 1911 or the G19, just in case there's a malfunction. I'm comfortable with either. In the spirit of the original poster's question: if I had to go down to just one (1911 or G19), that's a tough one. I think I'd opt for the G19. The Glock has other features and characteristics that I value: easy breakdown, cleans up fast, less expensive practice ammo, takes dirt very well, and has a shorter handle than the 1911. Good luck.

Shot placement Shot placement Shot placement Shot placement. LE for 16 YRS and USMC for 6. I hated to give up my 45 in exchange for the 92F 9MM. If you need more than 3 shots your are in DEEP DOO DOO. Also Practice Practice Practice Practice. You play as you train.:)

I'm a fairly new shooter, but with my research on gun calibers, I don't really believe in the 1-shot Stopping power of the 45cal.

Like most said, its all about shot placement. A well placed 9mm to the head will do the same damage as a 45.
a 7 or 9-shot 45 handgun may not necessarily be enough to stop a bad guy who is on adrenaline rage, drugs, or plainly just a big guy. they have Police cases that prove this. So the more bullets the better.

In real life situations, people move around including you and the bad guy. So you have to throw out all that stationary range training out the window. There is a high probability that you will miss esp in high-stress situations where you have to use your gun for SD/HD. So those extra rounds will count.

Unfortunately most of us civilians don't have the training of Military or Police...

Don't be too impressed with "military" or "police" training. You would be amazed how inadequate most training is these days. There's simply not enough time or money to spend on training. The administrators don't feel it's necessary.

I know shot placement is not a very important aspect of shooting, it is the MOST important thing in a firefight. That being said, if you can hit equally as well with both calibers, why not opt for the larger one? I mean, would you rather hit a badguy in the chest with 2 9mm rounds or 2 .45 rounds? I'd rather hit with the .45 because, you can never be too sure. Its like getting total coverage insurance on a car instead of the bare minimum. You may not need it, but if there comes a day that you do need it, you'll be thankful you have it.

From what i've read; statistically in a defensive situation the amount of shots fired is about 4. The mag capacity of both meet this requirement.

Last edited:
If you need more than 3 shots your are in DEEP DOO DOO.

Because DOO DOO happens. :)

I know shot placement is not a very important aspect of shooting, it is the MOST important thing in a firefight. That being said, if you can hit equally as well with both calibers, why not opt for the larger one?

Because in a stressful situation, most people don't shoot as well as they do at the range and the extra few rounds could mean a difference. But hey, it all comes down to personal preference whether it's 10+1 of 9mm or 7+1 of .45acp

An old thread? Yes but very viable, still. For quite a few years I carried a Glock 19 4th, Gen. 15 +1 = 16 rounds of 147g of black T, then Ranger T 147g, the HST in 147g is my latest.

But having a birthday this month (84!) I find even still able to carry the 19, it is a bit bulky, and heavy, compared to my newest pistol, the Glock 43X.

A very slim, and lightweight pistol. And I shoot it real well. It seems to fly out of the holster. Came as ordered with Ameriglow night sights from the factory.
Bluebox purchase.

The question of .45 V 9mm went, by the way, years ago. When I missed the safety catch in a big IPSC match! My carry gun was a Colt LWCommander.
But still with a missable Saftey Catch. So first G17, then G19, now G43X.
11 rds. With a spare 10 round magazine.

I have been an advocate of placement forever! And it is easier to take advantage of the more accurate shot placement with the 9mm.

Most times I carry an M&P Shield 45. Either IWB or pocket.

Yesterday I put my new M&P 45 full size into its first carry duty. IWB.

Both carry very extremely well, but the full size will mostly be used when jackets/coats are needed.

I feel comfortable with either. However the full size is slightly less concealable in summer clothes.

This was my carry progression, take from it what you will:

S&W 1911Sc (lightweight commander length 1911)
Glock 36
Glock 26
Glock 19

I did pick up a Sig 938 but I have not had a chance to do much with it as I bought it right before getting sent to Japan for three years (1 year left).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back