CCW 7 Rounds of .45ACP or 11 Rounds of 9MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me say that my favorite round is the 45 acp. I have a Kimber CDP and a Glock 26 with a +2 extension. I perfer the Glock for ccw. When it comes to ccw the more rounds you have the better. You never know what you are going to encounter or where. One, two, or more perps? You have to be prepared as best you can and the more rounds you have the better. Shooting at targets is one thing but at people that are or may shoot at you is another. Thus you may miss more than you realize. Having more rounds is the way to go. Lastly, whom ever your shooting at has no idea and really doesnt care what caliber you are shooting at him with. He just cares that you are shooting at him and hes trying not to get hit. Look at ccw for what it is, you may have to pull out your weapon and actually use it, so you had better be prepared. I hope you never do!

Till recently I have been a big round advocate, 44 special for home defense, 45 semi auto for carry (easier to conceal).

the 9 mm is gotten major credibility as a stopper, seems like in the last 10 years (not paying a lot of attention until now).

One thing that has not been mentioned is suppressive fire. I can see situations where you want your target to blink and or duck, the 9mm gives you the extra rounds to do that with.

As mentioned, it may be multiple encounter. 9 mm seems to be a really good choice on the average. You still need to practice a lot so you can hit what you aim at. Ergo a different caliber is better if you shoot it better (or gun).

All you guy's are thinking that you will hit what you are shooting at. Just look at law enforcement shootings. Under stress they will shoot the hole mag & only hit like 10-20% of the time. Remember that shooting in NYC when they shot 41times & only hit that guy 19times? You & I may be a good shot at the range,but in real life it a hole different thing. I mostly carry a sig 226 in 40 s&w 12+1 with 2 ex-mags(12-15 rounds ea). But I some times carry my sig 220 45 8+1 with 2 ex 8 round mags + 1 or 2 more. Or its my cz-75 in 9mm with 16+1(full size) + 2 ex mags or 14 +1 & 2 ex mags (75 compact). You never know how many bad guys that will be trying to kill you. Bad guys are most likely in packs. Its sad to think this way but that just the way it is today. Lets all hope God willing that we all will never have to shoot any where but the range.

I chose the 7 round option in a Glock 39, but would feel fine with a G26 also. I prefer the 45 in a compact ccw pistol, because its the 45's mass and size that makes me feel comfortable, while the 9's speed is diminished in a short barrel (yes I know the 45 is slowed too, but it's bullet still remains heavy and fat). I can deliver 230gr in one trigger pull whereas the 9 would take two. The more times I have to press the bangbutton the harder the prosecutor might look.

The only problem I have with 9mms holding 13 or 14 or 15 +1 is that the cartridges "rattle" inside the double stacked magazines! This really bothers me.

As well, there is a "weak" point when the rounds diminish to around 10 or so--it seems like the force of the spring is incredibly limp at one point and I wonder if a failure to feed is about to happen.

I've noticed this on CZ 75s, Browning HPs, and Beretta M9s. This limp area while getting through a magazine worries me. You can test this out by manually unloading any of the magazines.

I had a 26 for awhile, then bought a 39. I have no problem losing the 4 rounds since a 9mm and .45 don't really compare in size.

well a g26 or similar 9mm is usually smaller than a 7 round .45. I like both calibers and as long as you get good JHP rounds either will serve you well.

not when you compare Glock's GAP models. The 39 is the exact same size as the 26, except for a slightly wider slide.

G26.jpg

2121352_f496.jpg

OP, if I could only carry one round in my edc piece the differences in calibers would seem even less significant to me. I would have to alter my defensive shooting technique to accommodate for lack of capacity and shot placement would be my absolute only consideration. It would come down to the performance of the round being 1/10th of the decision for me with the rest being what pistol options I had and how they pointed for me. Chances are I'd end up with a 9mm for size.

Agree with Volkstrm

http://thefiringline.com/forums/member.php?u=55038

I have to agree with Volksrtm. 7 Rounds goes real fast under stress. Imagine a car jacking scenario or other with multiple perps.:eek: I'm no marksman but I shoot both well enough. I prefer shooting 45acp. BUT......Seems like with fewer rounds every shot has to hit home. That would be in doubt for someone who has never faced a lethal confrontation before. Even the cops land a low percentage in gun fights and I have neither their training nor experience.

So it sounds like for a mag limited state such as California, you should go with .45, since we are then talking ~7 x .45 vs. max 10 x 9mm. Thoughts?

Whichever one you can shoot the the fastest and most accurately. I love my .45s but I shoot a 9x19 faster with more accuracy

Considering the stopping power and the number of rounds; it makes no difference. Either one will be about the same if you shoot all the rounds.
The 45 is better with one shot stopping power.
The 9mm will be faster to acquire the target for a second shot.
You can't really go wrong with either.

If I carried a 1911 for ccw, it would be 8 rounds not 7. After load and lock, I would top up the magazine with another round.

Split the difference on capacity and win on both counts.

10mm has more power than the .45 and you hold more bullets too...most 1911's in 10 mm hold ten rounds. Or go with a .357 SIG for a smaller gun with more power than 9mm and more energy than .45 again splitting the capacity.

Whichever caliber is going to give you more positive hits. It is not about caliber its about how well you shoot the particular gun in a particular caliber.

If you cannot put 7 +1 rounds of 45 ACP on target then whey good is shooting 45 ACP? If you cannot put all 11+1 rounds of 9mm into the same man sized target again what is the extra capacity going to get you?

Personally for me its both. I carry 1911 in 45 ACP and I also carry a BHP in 9mm... It feel perfectly defended with either on my hip. Its all about what you shoot well.

I'd go with the 11 rounds of 9mm - with whatever +P HP loads that you favor. In a stress situation, it's easy to miss your mark. Better to have more chances to hit with a 9mm than miss with a .45ACP. Besides, with the 26, you can have a full size mag as a spare.

hblac
CCW 7 Rounds of .45ACP or 11 Rounds of 9MM

The more I think about this, the more I think that the weapon you have actually used the most is the one to prefer. The greater your familiarity with the weapon, the greater your chances of succeeding in a hot situation.

--Wag--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back