CCW 7 Rounds of .45ACP or 11 Rounds of 9MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whichever caliber is going to give you more positive hits. It is not about caliber its about how well you shoot the particular gun in a particular caliber.

I have a hard time accepting the logic that there are particular guns or calibers that a particular person can shoot well.

If you can shoot well with one gun the principles of good marksmanship are the same with another gun.

Ergonomics count for a little, particularly the trigger, but I believe if you know how to shoot ya know how to shoot and the gun makes only a marginal difference, especially if you practice with it.

I would take a principle from Economics of declining marginal utility. Each additional round in the magazine has a lower value than the one before it. So a 12 shot 9mm is not twice as good as a 6 shot 9mm since the second 6 rounds have less value than the first 6 rounds.

On the other hand:

LEO's miss 80% of the time or more. So you can take the LEO info and go for the max number of shots since 8 rounds of .45 means maybe two hits, and 12 rounds of 9mm equals maybe 2.4 hits.

OK, I give up I just confused myself.

Last edited:
I've always been able to shoot better with some of my guns than with others, so it sound pretty logical to me. However, with regards to capacity, one person said (not here) that the only reason he carried a high capacity handgun was so he didn't have to carry spare magazines.

Are people here assuming that no spare magazines will be carried? If not, it makes moot all those issues about how easy it is to reload. Just like those guys who like single shot rifles and claim "you only need one round," who then go on to explain how fast they can reload.

It happens that my 9mm holds the same number of rounds as my .45 auto.

depends on where i'm goin, time of day, size of pistol it's self adn if i have an extra mag or not... alot of facters to consider...... but i'm not about to choose between 9mm & .45 jsut as a caliber lol

I have been in LE for over 30 years. Only hits count. Hardware is rather insignificant without the proficency to consistantly make hits under pressure. In the revolver days, we were taught " You only have 6, you cannot afford to miss". If you watch enough shooters long enough you can tell the old revolver shooters, they don't miss.

As was pointed out, LE shootouts result in few hits, statistically. There are numerous factors involved. It is generally reactive, after you have been assaulted, shot at , shot, are diving for cover, shooting with one hand as you are moving to cover etc.

To answer the original question: I have never been a fan of the 9mm, I was and am a fan of the 357 magnum and the 45. I carry a 40 today, it is issued and required. The 40 is a good round. I would and do carry a 45 off duty sometimes, but the reality for me is I don't shoot anything any better than my duty gun.

Glock 36(45) 6+1 and a extra mag=13 or C-Z p-01 (9mm) 13+1 extra mag=27

I CCW with the Glock because of the lighter weight and single stack mags. I feel very comfortable with 13 rounds of 45 and if I need more I think I'll be SOL.

Im OK with either. If you need more than 7rd's of 45 or 11rd's of 9mm while carrying, you have a big problem.

I've carried both the G36 and the G26. Then it dawned on me. I could carry a G36 size weapon with a high cap 9mm. It's called the G19. It conceals just like my G36 with 15+1 rounds instead of 6+1 or 10+1 in the G26. I then carry an extra 17 round mag in case i have to reload

I've carried both the G36 and the G26. Then it dawned on me. I could carry a G36 size weapon with a high cap 9mm. It's called the G19. It conceals just like my G36 with 15+1 rounds instead of 6+1 or 10+1 in the G26. I then carry an extra 17 round mag in case i have to reload

Therein lies the answer. It is not really a choice between 7 rounds of .45 or 11 rounds of 9mm is it?

A better question than that posed by the OP would be what is the best given a certain size carry package - but then the question becomes what is best given what a particular sized individual and what is comfortable for him to carry?

I for sure would rather have a G19 than a G36, or a G32 rather than a G36, or 10 rounds of 10mm vs. 8 or 9 of .45 for a 1911 decision.

In the compact Glock size, my choice has been the G38 for several years. I'm very comfy with 9+1 rounds of 200gr Gold Dots in a very accurate, shootable and carry-friendly package.

CCW 7 Rounds of .45ACP or 11 Rounds of 9MM?

Perennial subject topic ...

My answer?

Sure, one or the other ... or something else if appropriate.

I started my LE career carrying an issued 6-shot .357 Magnum revolver and mostly either a Colt Commander or .357 Magnum off-duty. I later decided a 5-shot S&W M36 wasn't a bad choice at times for off-duty.

At the end of my career I found myself carrying an issued compact .45 (7+1 capacity) on-duty and mostly a J-frame .38 Spl off-duty.

Between those times I carried a LOT of different makes/models, both issued and personally-owned, chambered in various calibers. My issued pistols ran to models chambered in 9, .40 & .45 and included mag capacities of 14, 15, 12, 9, 8 & then 7 rounds.

My current choices in retirement pistols include 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, and the magazine capacities include 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 12 rounds for the various makes/models. I also have a handful of J-frames I like to use.

While I leaned rather strongly toward .357 Magnum and .45 ACP as a young cop, nowadays I tend to lean more toward .38 Spl (+P) and 9mm choices, with .40's & .45's following a bit behind.

Why?

Overall smaller size of the guns is one reason for me choosing the 9's over the .45's. Also, better controllability & recoil management is another reason I tend to favor the 9's over the .40's & .45's.

I like the J-frames because I'm a long time revolver shooter and like their handy size (but they're often hard for most folks to accurately and effectively shoot).

Capacity? Well, some folks have strong opinions about capacity. I don't make it my business to try and tell anyone else what they should think in that regard.

Instead, I usually ask them how well they can safely manipulate, handle, load/unload, and shoot whatever their choice may be in the way of an off-duty/CCW weapon. I let them see for themselves how well they can perform with their choice under various range drills, especially the more demanding ones which require more than just standing still on some firing line and shooting at a stationary threat target.

I tend to look at things from the perspective of knowledge (laws, tactics & strategy), awareness (environment), mindset, skillset and then tool-set ... with "capacity" being under the "tool-set" category.

Fastbolt, nanuck et al, Good Responses

Great, well thought out responses so I'll ask for some specifics. I'm older (58), still working in my career (sales) and as far as CCW goes limited by dress code (no untucked shirts). I don't shoot the small revolvers well. The Glock 26 is great in every regard except that it's just too freakin chunky to wear/conceal all year long in the hot weather of the south, especially given the dress code (polo shirt tucked in/Dockers type Khaki slacks or sometimes Levi's).

Because I drive long distances often late at night to get in place for the next day I have my G-26 mounted on a gun magnet in the console of my F-150. Works perfect for that scenario (extra mags in the overhead).

What I need when I'm on foot at night is a pistol that is as reliable as my Glocks have been with sufficient rounds in a decent caliber that is thin enough and light enough to carry in a tuckable IWB holster (BTW I'm 5'9" tall, 180 lbs) that won't print badly (2nd house in Jacksonville, FL).

Got any recommendations to try?
Anyone else feel free to jump in as well.

BTW, pistols I have now: G-26, G19, SigPro 2022 9MM (all to thick for IWB)
Kahr CW 9 (nice but wish it had more rounds and just a little thinner)
S&W 19 6" (too freakin huge but my most accurate pistol, SA anyway)
Sig P-220 Carry Elite (nice but huge)
Detonics Service Master .45 ACP, Detonics Combat Master .45 ACP (reliability?? With 1911's seems there's always some issue!)
Keltec 3PAT (great little pocket gun but its only 7 rounds of .380)

Last edited:
Why Compromise?

I carry 11 Rds of .45 230-gr Tactical Bonded in my Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro. Even if limited to 7 rds, I'd go for the .45 over the 9 in weapons of similar size.:cool:

I know this about you:

Since you have asked this question I know that you do not own a Level IV balistic vest.
I will asume that no one has ever fired a gun at you and you have never had to shoot back to defend yourself or your family.
If this had happened to you you would not be asking these questions.
If I was in your situation I would want a Glock 9mm that acepted the 33 round mag. ($18-33) Not that I would carry that mag on me 24-7 but that if I was faced with a determined car/kidnapper situation, I would want that mag for my reload.
I would also want a Level 4 balistic vest for each member of my family.
IMHO Passive protection outweighs reactive agression everytime.

Kenno,

Your 1st two lines are absolutely correct. And...while I don't have the 33 rounder, the +2 mag for the G-17 is in the overhead.

My deal is being able to conveniently and comfortably conceal adequate firepower without looking like a mall ninja or wacko. My dress code is pretty simple NO UNTUCKED SHIRTS. Most of the year its too dang hot for vests in North Carolina or Florida and in between. A sports jacket would be out of place in my industry. So.......need a gun with decent firepower that disapears tucked in IWB. Love my G-26 but man it's thick, uncomfortable and sticks out like a sore thumb. So I keep it on the gun magnet inside the console of my f-150.

Suggestions???

So.......need a gun with decent firepower that disapears tucked in IWB. Love my G-26 but man it's thick, uncomfortable and sticks out like a sore thumb. So I keep it on the gun magnet inside the console of my f-150.

Suggestions???

I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 loaded with Cor-Bon DPX's in similar circumstances, and have just acquired a Walther PPS in .40 S&W that I may augment/replace it with, depending on how well it carries. The PF-9 just disappears under a tucked in T-shirt in a 10:00 IWB holster. :cool:

I wouldn't trade seven rounds of .45 for only eleven rounds of 9. I do occasionally trade nine rounds of .45 for seventeen rounds of 9, as that seems like a fair trade.

Good greef we have to drag you guys into the 21st century. FNP-45 15 +1 rounds of 45 ACP. Or a FN Five-Seven, 20 or 30 rounds of 5.70 in a pistol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back