CCW 7 Rounds of .45ACP or 11 Rounds of 9MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblac

For concealed carry weapons I'm wondering what the split among forum members is on whether you'd feel better prepared to defend your life with 7 rounds of .45ACP or 11 rounds of 9MM? A good example would be G-36 vs G26. Actually, forget model comparisons just caliber type and round count. I can imagine in the stress of an actual event some rounds aren't going to find their mark. Which would you prefer? I'd especially like to hear opinions from law enforcement types.

I like 9mm better. I can control the shots better. And have more of them.
Also, with todays modern ammo, it's all about shot placement.
Plus, a 11 shot 9mm tends to be smaller than a 7 shot 45. That's important to me for CCW. For home defense, YMMV.

Boy do you love opening a can of worms :D:D:D

Ok, JUST for me its a RIA CS 7+1, I used to carry a S&W 469 12+1, but I just like the .45 ACP better

Next time hblac try sticking a fork in a 110 outlet its safer than the (9mm vs. .45 / Glock vs. 1911 debate) :D

Depends on how I'm feeling. If I feel like carrying a .45 I will, and if I feel like carrying a 9mm I will. Although I usually carry 7rds of .380.

Consider that you may only have time to get off one round at an attacker. Now which would you choose? I don't think there are very many situations where you will need 11 rounds of any caliber.

well a g26 or similar 9mm is usually smaller than a 7 round .45. I like both calibers and as long as you get good JHP rounds either will serve you well.

i trust my life to 17 rds of 9mm on a daily basis, though i cant see a situation where i would/could use more than ~5 and still be justified

Rule of thumb

As a rule of thumb 7 rounds of 45 ACP = 10 rounds of 40 S&W = 13 rounds of 9mm.

At 7 -vs- 13 rounds the 9mm will have more energy into the target...

7 -vs- 11? Whatever you want to carry!

The 9mm is a PERFECTLY capable defensive round - just use an effective 147gr. or 124 gr. +P round.

Knowing how to properly use the weapon is always your biggest advantage.

Since I usually carry a 5 shot 38 most of the time, I'd feel comfortable with either. Besides it's usually not the hardware that gets you it's the software.

Given that my regular carry gun is a Kimber Compact II or a Ruger SP101 .......

it is either 7 + 1 in 45 acp or 5 38 +P plus a 5 round speed loader.

I feel safe with either one......... Now I also have an FNP-9 which holds 15 or 16but I don't usually carry it because of size.

there are higher capacity 45's out there. i have a taurus pt-145 that holds 10+1 and is only slightly larger (read thicker) than my springfield champion or micro. i carry it in a kholster iwb holster and it is extremly comfortable.

Last edited:
With the expansion some of the 9mm bullets can produce today, you don't need anything more than a 9mm against a human being.
30 years ago, maybe, but today's technology produces hollow point ammo that WILL do the job.

As I've said before, with modern JHP loadings I don't think there's enough difference between any of the common service calibers (.38 Special +P, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP) to really worry about. Then again, I normally carry a revolver, so capacity isn't all that high on my priority list either. I guess I'd just carry whichever one I can shoot the best.

Give me a .45 over a 9mm every time. If I can't take of the problem with 7 rounds I really doubt 11 will solve it either.

As a side note, I'm also confident in carrying a 5 shot revolver.

It doesn't bother me either way. I carry a 7+1 Commander or a 7+1 Kahr CW9. The biggest difference is the weight. The 1911 I feel on my hip, the Kahr I don't. I also carry a G36 which splits the difference. I shoot all three equally well. I don't feel "under gunned" with any of them.
More rounds doesn't necessarily mean more hits. More practice with your pistol will make a difference. Hits count, misses don't.

Sticking to just the original question, all other things being equal, I would prefer the 7 rounds of .45, assuming it's concealable. Now that jacket-wearing season is upon us, I can conceal my 45 quite well. Mine is a 7+1. I'm a fairly good shot, and for years I carried either a 6-shot or 5-shot .38 revolver, so an 8-shooter in 45 is a nice step up and feels like it should be enough ammo before I have to dig for another magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back