CCW 1911

So, guess I'll jump in with my .02 worth. I'm 6'4", 183lbs. (I prefer "wirey" over "skinny"), and pretty long-waisted. The Crossbreed Supertuck works perfectly for me. I carry strong side at 3:30-4:00. My EDC is an XD9SC but my Colt Commander fits in the CBST fine. Guess I got lucky with the Crossbreed; the $96 (w/shipping) horse hide version was perfect from the get-go. Therefore, I don't have the proverbial "pile of useless holsters". It's so comfortable I often forget it's there. I have the cant adjusted all the way forward for max concealment. The only clothing change I had to make was to go from a 34" belt to a 36".

Speaking of belts: I've used a heavy duty leather work belt that seems to have done OK. But it's pretty worn out so I've asked Santa for a good gun belt. We'll see.

As far as re-holstering goes, with the CBST I can do it one-handed no problem.

I'm not saying that the CBST is the greatest holster out there, only that for ME it is. Might be worth a close look.:)

[S
The Sheep Dog

I agree with Doc. your carry will depend on your daily wear and activites.Living in south Florida inside is the only way to go but you must
have a good belt.
Go to a range and talk to the guys and ask what they use in your area.Im sure they will be helpfull to point you in the right direction.

I usually wear casual clothing and my job consists of office work.

I have talked to the local gun stores and they are the ones who recommended the Uncle Mikes to me. For now, it works. It's comfortable; I can draw the gun quickly without the holster coming out with it; and I can reholster with one hand.
I am asking for a nicer CCW holster for Christmas.

I carry my PT1911, a damn fine handgun I might add, in a Blackhawk Serpa holster at about 3 o'clock. I'm 6'1" and about 210 lbs. It's comfortable, doesn't print and rides just right on my frame for a reasonably quick draw.

BODAME said:
Watched 2 High End Match 1911s Jam last night in a IDPA Match.
Neither person will Carry a 1911.

Well, gosh, I'd better run sell mine right now. Thanks for the alert!

I don't care about one-handed re-holstering. I don't plan to do too many tactical re-holsters in my CCW career; if the threat no longer calls for me to be using the gun, then I pretty much have time to take my eyes and other hand off the bad guys. I don't expect to have a rifle to transition to; I don't carry handcuffs; and every holster I can remember coming with instructions, instructed me to remove the holster before putting the gun into it.
$85 is a paltry sum to get a good holster for a $700 gun.
A hundred dollar belt is likewise more worthwhile than you can imagine if you don't have one. Although I like Aker and they don't go that high.
Guns made for competition aren't a good choice for CCW. The 1911 is exceptional for the thin profile and hardy caliber that won't make you blind and deaf. It's a great choice. I imagine most people who dislike the 1911 really just don't trust themselves to carry cocked & locked.

Idahoser said:
I don't care about one-handed re-holstering. I don't plan to do too many tactical re-holsters in my CCW career...

This has nothing to do with being "tactical" and everything to do with not pointing your gun at your hand that's having to hold your limp-noodle holster open or pressing the muzzle into your love handle while you try to dig the gun back into the collapsed nylon sausage sack.

Gun safety: It's not just for tactical folks anymore!

Idahoser said:
I don't care about one-handed re-holstering. I don't plan to do too many tactical re-holsters in my CCW career; if the threat no longer calls for me to be using the gun, then I pretty much have time to take my eyes and other hand off the bad guys....
You never know what circumstances might require you to do, and being able to re-holster one handed without looking is one of those thing you may find you need to do. It's a good skill to have, and it's good to have equipment that supports it.

Idahoser said:
... you missed the part where you remove the holster to put the gun into it....
No, I saw it and pretty much ignored it. None of the holsters I have came with any such instructions. And in all the training I've had we've been routinely taught to re-holster one handed without looking. I do it regularly in training and practice. And it's routinely done in IPSC and IDPA competition.

The point was made that it's drastically important that the holster must have the bulk and construction that allows you to holster one-handed. My point was that this is not in any way important. It was then implied that this means I'm inviting danger by trying to holster the firearm with a floppy holster still in my belt, and I was making the point clear that (as I had stated in the earlier post) that holsters used to come with instructions that you need to remove the holster to put the gun into it, and doing it this way removes the safety concern. For the very rare occasion when a civilian CCW has to draw his weapon, there is no disaster in doing it this way. Your competition games are fine, but they are little comparable to CCW.

Last edited:
Idahoser said:
The point was made that it's drastically important that the holster must have the bulk and construction that allows you to holster one-handed. My point was that this is not in any way important...
And on what basis do you conclude that it's not important? Where have you received your training? In fact, at every major shooting school, one will be expect to be able to re-holster one handed and without looking.

Idahoser said:
...It was then implied that this means I'm inviting danger by trying to holster the firearm with a floppy holster still in my belt, and I was making the point clear that (as I had stated in the earlier post) that holsters used to come with instructions that you need to remove the holster to put the gun into it, and doing it this way removes the safety concern......
And I made the point that no holster I've ever purchased, and I have quite a few, ever included such an instruction.

And does that mean that you never engage in live fire practice drawing from your holster? If you do, after having fired a string do you then put down your gun, remove your holster, pick up your gun, put it in the holster and then put it back on your belt?

Idahoser said:
...For the very rare occasion when a civilian CCW has to draw his weapon, there is no disaster in doing it this way....
How do you know? Again, what training have you had that leads you to and supports that conclusion?

Idahoser said:
...Your competition games are fine, but they are little comparable to CCW.
This really isn't a competition issue. The training at Gunsite, from Massad Ayoob and from others is not about competition. It's about self defense.

i dont see the point of needing to reholster 1 handed either. im not gonna be holding a light on a perp while holstering my gun.

It is perhaps important to reholster one-handed if you are a policeman or playing competition games. It is not important for a civilian CCW holder to need this level of equipment, although there's no harm, there's no need either. If you feel differently, that's perfectly okay, I am offering a different perspective with I feel, a little more realistic view of the aftermath of a CCW involved incident. I do not feel the need to explain this further, so I won't be responding the next time you express disbelief that anyone could hold this opinion.

I have not been to a range in this vicinity that allows drawing from a holster. I do, of course, practice without ammo at home, drawing from concealment. Concealment, by the way, that I am more confident of BECAUSE it is too flimsy to be reholstered one-handed. Which would be a foolish thing to try to do even if the holster did have the required bulk, because clothing is likely to interfere.

One last (really) point. I use IWB. That isn't likely something you're familiar with, as it doesn't lend itself to gaming, and doesn't require that oh so tacticool vest to cover it. However, I'm not in this for the game, it's a tool I hope never to use.

Last edited:
Idahoser said:
...It is not important for a civilian CCW holder to need this level of equipment, although there's no harm, there's no need either. If you feel differently, that's perfectly okay, I am offering a different perspective with I feel, a little more realistic view of the aftermath of a CCW involved incident. I do not feel the need to explain this further, so I won't be responding the next time you express disbelief that anyone could hold this opinion....
It's not that I don't believe that anyone would have that opinion. I know others who share that opinion. But I have noticed that most of the people who are of that opinion have no, or little, formal defensive training.

And you certainly can offer a different perspective. But my question relates to what the bases of your opinion are. Is your opinion based on training you've received from instructors we may be unfamiliar with? Or is it something you pulled out of the air?

My opinion is based on how I've been trained at a number of schools by a number of well known instructors with excellent reputations. Not all opinions are equal. Just as the opinion of my doctor regarding matters related to my health warrants more attention than that of my mechanic, with regard to defensive gun handling I'll pay attention to the opinions of the likes of instructors at Gunsite, Louis Awerbuck, Massad Ayoob, etc.

So whether your perspective is based on a more realistic view of the aftermath of a CCW involved incident is open to question. How did you come by that view?

On the other hand, as I've been trained there may be a number of ways in which the aftermath may unfold. I can't know ahead of time how it will happen if it ever does. And one thing I've been trained to do under certain circumstances is to re-holster one handed without looking (keeping my eyes on the situation) and being prepared to draw again if things change. In any case, since I don't know how a defensive gun use might unfold, nor what I might have to do in the aftermath, I choose to keep my options open.

If you don't want to respond, that's fine with me. It's your choice.

Idahoser said:
...I have not been to a range in this vicinity that allows drawing from a holster. I do, of course, practice without ammo at home, drawing from concealment. Concealment, by the way, that I am more confident of BECAUSE it is too flimsy to be reholstered one-handed. Which would be a foolish thing to try to do even if the holster did have the required bulk, because clothing is likely to interfere...
I carry concealed whenever I legally can, mostly on various trips to Nevada and Arizona; and I find that the holsters I use, which support one handed re-holstering, conceal very well for me.

And I've trained and practice, live fire and dry fire, both drawing from concealment and re-holstering in concealment. It can certainly be done properly and safely with good training, practice and the right equipment.

Idahoser said:
...One last (really) point. I use IWB. That isn't likely something you're familiar with, as it doesn't lend itself to gaming, and doesn't require that oh so tacticool vest to cover it. However, I'm not in this for the game, it's a tool I hope never to use...
And now you're assuming things that simply aren't true. As I mentioned, I carry concealed whenever I legally can (I have permits for Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Utah and Florida). And I do favor IWB carry. My usual holster is a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.

Go back and look at post 18.

As for games, they aren't a substitute for good self defense training; but they are an excellent way to practice some basic skills like gun handling, moving with a loaded gun, moving and shooting, shooting while moving, shooting quickly and accurately, dealing with multiple targets, reloading, shooting from unconventional postures, etc. -- and doing all those thing safely and while under stress. In other words, IPSC/IDPA offer an excellent opportunity to practice the basic skills involved in effectively and efficiently using your self defense tools under stress.

It's important to be able to re-holster safely without removing the holster if one is taking a training class using the same gear one intends to carry.

If we have moved to a reholstering debate - after the fight, you might need both hands to help a victim, pick up stuff, etc. You can imagine - that's why an easy reholster is good. Doing it with one hand is good. Lots of us get 'shot' in the hand in FOF.

But whatever. I've been using an OWB and appropriate garments that don't shout tacticool.

If you wear a holster that flops shut when you draw, you have two choices:

1) Fail to practice safely getting the gun out on a regular basis,

or

2) Become complacent and dangerously laid-back about basic safety rules, such as the rule about not pointing the muzzle of the gun at your own non-dominant hand while you put the gun back in the holster after each repetition in practice.

Nobody, but nobody, is practicing getting the gun out safely by undressing to reholster in between each repetition. That's just not happening. So if you have a floppy, unsafe holster, either you're not practicing at all, or you are not practicing safely.

In addition to this, if you have a flimsy floppy holster, you are almost certainly behaving in unsafe ways whenever nature calls, especially in public restrooms.

This has nothing to do with "competition versus real world," it has nothing to do with appeals to authority (even excellent authorities) and it has nothing to do with who's got a "more realistic" understanding of what happens after a fight. It doesn't have much to do with the fight at all, in fact. It has to do with the day-in, day-out reality of an ordinary person who carries a firearm for self protection.

pax

I bought a Milt Sparks Versa Max VM-2 for my STI Guardian .45. It is very well made indeed, but the things sell out in the first day or two of each month, and the lead time after that can exceed six months.

The VM-2 is excellent for concealment, comfortable and secure carry, drawing, and reholstering.

I had purchased an Uncle Mike's IWB holster for my M&P Compact before taking my first advanced defensive pistol class, and had for some reason not noticed the impossibility of reholstering one handed. I do not want to be seen with gun in hand, or gun and holster in hand, after any kind of incident when first reponders arrrive, whether shots have been fired or not. Fast, safe, one-handed reholstering is a must. Out it went.

Because I did not want to wait for another custom VM-2, I ordered a Com-Tac Minotaur holster for the S&W.

Given the choice, I would take the VM-2. but the Minotaur meets my needs quite well; it also costs less and can be bought without a wait of several months.

pax said:
...Nobody, but nobody, is practicing getting the gun out safely by undressing to reholster in between each repetition. That's just not happening. So if you have a floppy, unsafe holster, either you're not practicing at all, or you are not practicing safely.

In addition to this, if you have a flimsy floppy holster, you are almost certainly behaving in unsafe ways whenever nature calls, especially in public restrooms.

This has nothing to do with "competition versus real world," it has nothing to do with appeals to authority (even excellent authorities) and it has nothing to do with who's got a "more realistic" understanding of what happens after a fight. It doesn't have much to do with the fight at all, in fact. It has to do with the day-in, day-out reality of an ordinary person who carries a firearm for self protection.
I like the way you put this, and it's perhaps more to the point than my somewhat sour discourse. I'll need to remember it.

Back