CC in cargo pockets question

I guess if you absolutely must carry in a pocket. Do so in one of the front pockets according to which is your strong hand. It's inconspicuous compared to reaching in a cargo pant pocket.

Stick Holsters work. :)
I carried in my right front pocket until my immediate supervisor 'made' me. Fortunately he's not a rat. Cargo pocket for me all day thanks.

Look if you aren't interested in cargo pocket carry then just move on to another thread. I hate Glocks with a passion but you don't see me in Glock threads trash talking them. Find something constructive to do with your time.

Originally posted by Constantine:

Nothing in this world beats this method of carry: Inside or outside the waistband. On you.

I think you meant to say on me. Funny how so many folks think what's best for them is automatically the best for everyone else in the world, without knowing any other circumstances other than what they themselves experience. Apparently you've never had to conceal a weapon while wearing a tradesman's type tool belt. Or ridden a motorcycle with a tight fitting leather jacket. Or had to lay on your back or side working while CWCing. Buy hey, if it always works for you, go for it. IWB and OWB does not always work for me. Besides, I wonder why they cal them pocket pistols if not for pocket carry?

While I would never carry my 1911 in the front or cargo pocket or a pair of pants, I do and have carried my 637 and LCP there. I also have carried in the chest pocket of my motorcycle jacket(most times on the bike tho, they go in an ankle holster). Most of the time within a pocket holster. I even had my wife sew a piece of velcro inside the front pockets of a couple pairs of cargo pants to make sure the pocket holster stayed in place. Hard to imagine taking any more time to reach in your pocket than to reach around with one hand to untuck/raise your shirt/jacket so you can grab your gun with the other hand.

N3-thug_b.jpg

Hard to imagine taking any more time to reach in your pocket than to reach around with one hand to untuck/raise your shirt/jacket so you can grab your gun with the other hand.

It is hard to imagine until you're shooting in a small group where you're the only one pocket-carrying and the others all have holsters. I went through a day of drills with a few friends and an instructor. We did a variety of simulated scenarios: ATM machine, seated at a table, standing, moving, etc. It took me about 2-3 seconds to deploy my pocket-carried gun in the best of circumstances, under pressure. When seated, I simply couldn't get to my gun - I had to stand up first to be able to get it out of my pocket.

I still pocket carry because of the way I typically dress. But, at least now I know my limitations with this type of carry.

When seated, I simply couldn't get to my gun - I had to stand up first to be able to get it out of my pocket.

While this is a limitation to front pocket carry, the use of the "cargo" pockets in cargo pants is the question in the OP, and wouldn't be a problem when seated.

There are limitations and unfavorable scenarios with virtually any type of concealed carry. One needs to consider this when choosing how they will carry and what they will carry. The larger and heavier the firearm, the harder to carry concealed. I think most folks who have only carried full sized high capacity firearms do not realize the increased options one has with smaller more compact firearms. What it really boils down to, regardless of what and how you carry, is to have a firearm on you that you are capable of getting to quickly and easily, if and when you ever need it.

It is hard to imagine until you're shooting in a small group where you're the only one pocket-carrying and the others all have holsters. I went through a day of drills with a few friends and an instructor. We did a variety of simulated scenarios: ATM machine, seated at a table, standing, moving, etc. It took me about 2-3 seconds to deploy my pocket-carried gun in the best of circumstances, under pressure. When seated, I simply couldn't get to my gun - I had to stand up first to be able to get it out of my pocket.

I still pocket carry because of the way I typically dress. But, at least now I know my limitations with this type of carry.
If it were up to me I'd OC a full size auto all day every day, but it's not entirely up to me. I have no-gun signs, gun free zones, company policies and anti-gun family to dodge. My choices have been narrowed to deep conceal or unarmed.

Yeah it takes a couple seconds to draw, but that's still faster than not having a gun to draw at all.

Last edited:
"Nothing in this world beats this method of carry: Inside or outside the waistband. On you."

BS. Nothing in this world beats a shoulder holster.

On you.

I stand by my comments.

:rolleyes:

I can't even begin to count the ways in which I hate, despise, revile, etc., carrying a handgun inside or outside of my belt.

But, I guess I just don't "want" it to work for me.

Which is BS.

Having an opinion is one thing.

Making supercilious pronouncements that "IF IT WORKS FOR ME, IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE! I HATH SPAKETH!" closes out discussion in the most petty of manners and makes the "pronunciator" look... not so good.

Let's keep in mind that not everyone is a carbon copy of everyone else, m'kay?

As someone who wears cargo shorts in Florida...I said nay nay. I did have an LCP and didn't mind it while driving in my truck. That was the only time it felt practical. The IWB is much preferred.

I don't know a method that presents the weapon faster than IWB or OWB. Just sayin' :p

Imagine all law enforcement officers carrying shoulder holsters or in cargo pants? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think that what Constantine was saying simply that IWB/OWB strong side carry is the fastest, most efficient way to present and carry a firearm.

I don't know that this is a false statement...

While many people may prefer another carry method for one reason or another - such as shoulder holster, ankle carry, SOB, or what have you... these are all compromises to suit your lifestyle and/or attire.

The logic seems sound to me, perhaps it was just presented in the wrong way.

I don't know a method that presents the weapon faster than IWB or OWB. Just sayin' [emoji14]

Imagine all law enforcement officers carrying shoulder holsters or in cargo pants? :rolleyes:
I'm not a cop.

I don't respond to 911 calls.

I don't have a legal duty to act; in fact quite the opposite.

Police don't have to dodge gun-free zones and no-gun signs, I do.

Apples and oranges.

I'm not a cop.

I don't respond to 911 calls.

I don't have a legal duty to act; in fact quite the opposite.

Police don't have to dodge gun-free zones and no-gun signs, I do.

Apples and oranges.

Yes... You proved my point. They're always in dangerous situations.
They carry..on..the..waistband... for... a... reason... lol

Many people do while concealing. Again, not saying it's the only way. Just that it's one of the best ways. Not saying everyone who doesn't do it is inadequate. Just that there are better ways.

Why is this so offensive?

Also mentioned the ways I would pocket carry if it was absolutely necessary.
Though that keeps getting overlooked by everyone.

I think that what Constantine was saying simply that IWB/OWB strong side carry is the fastest, most efficient way to present and carry a firearm.

I don't know that this is a false statement...

While many people may prefer another carry method for one reason or another - such as shoulder holster, ankle carry, SOB, or what have you... these are all compromises to suit your lifestyle and/or attire.

The logic seems sound to me, perhaps it was just presented in the wrong way.

Thank you! Exactly.. I keep getting attacked because I state an opinion. My lord... That's how people learn, myself included. You disagree? Okay.. But people are getting offended at what I have to say lol. :rolleyes:

I think the point that the whole thread misses, is that the poster is simply looking to have a gun on him. Yes a gun in a tactical holster is faster to use, but 99.9 percent of the paranoid individuals talking about this will only draw (or have drawn) on paper targets on the range. For the majority of the folks, having a gun on one's person or within reach is really the objective not a quick draw from the first, second or third hidden FA:eek:

Of course there are some non-professionals that truly live in bad areas and quick draw capability might be a reality. However for most, including retired LE like myself, we are not actively seeking engagements and just want to have a FA within reach.

I think the point that the whole thread misses, is that the poster is simply looking to have a gun on him. Yes a gun in a tactical holster is faster to use, but 99.9 percent of the paranoid individuals talking about this will only draw (or have drawn) on paper targets on the range. For the majority of the folks, having a gun on one's person or within reach is really the objective not a quick draw from the first, second or third hidden FA

What's wrong with helping out someone else? Why does ego have to get involved? No on is dismissing their ideas as terrible. There are better ones out there. Under stress, reaching into a pocket, let alone a cargo pants pocket.. With possible velcro or buttons. Would be possibly fatal.

A "tactical holster"? Not sure what that's referring to.. What about a regular holster? They're many out there for IWB. And you can't really "draw attention" if your IWB is concealed.

That's a huge generalization when you commented on paper targets on the range. Some? Maybe. Same could be said about pocket holster carriers.
Let me put it to you this way, no class really allows / permits one to take their course from an ankle or pocket holster. Why do you think that is?

And, I've only had 20,000+ rounds in classes. Some used steel, some used paper. Just to draw away any more assumptions you may have.

Of course there are some non-professionals that truly live in bad areas and quick draw capability might be a reality. However for most, including retired LE like myself, we are not actively seeking engagements and just want to have a FA within reach.

I carry the same way in a bad area or in a good area. Nothing really changes. Ever seen a shooting happen in a "good area" or an area with a "No Guns Allowed" sign? Yeah..

Most people are not seeking engagements. Actually a majority of legally armed citizens don't. So to insinuate one of your fellow forum members and doing so based on his recommendations on an open forum, is pretty off base.

Remember, we're all on the same side. No need for everyone to get so defensive all the time. It doesn't always have to be a macho-man argument because someone does things differently or recommends things differently to their fellow 2A supporter. There are reasons why someone else thinks or does things the way they do.

My father wanted a "FA within reach" and he did just that. It didn't stop someone from jumping the counter and putting a pistol to his side while he opened the register and lottery box. We're grateful he kept his life.

I'm looking out. Not trying to be a "jerk" or tell anyone what to do. Recommending things. That's all..

I've had to draw twice. Both times involved close calls with dangerous animals. In one case, I was standing and able to draw quickly from IWB. The face-off ended happily with the critter turning tail and running away. In the other case, I was in non-reciprocal state and narrowly escaped with my life!

I'm glad that's all that I've experienced. I've never had a close call in the car. Having practiced, I know that shoulder carry works best for me there, as well as in many seated applications.

Yes... You proved my point. They're always in dangerous situations.
They carry..on..the..waistband... for... a... reason... lol

Many people do while concealing. Again, not saying it's the only way. Just that it's one of the best ways. Not saying everyone who doesn't do it is inadequate. Just that there are better ways.

Why is this so offensive?

Also mentioned the ways I would pocket carry if it was absolutely necessary.
Though that keeps getting overlooked by everyone.

Thank you! Exactly.. I keep getting attacked because I state an opinion. My lord... That's how people learn, myself included. You disagree? Okay.. But people are getting offended at what I have to say lol. :rolleyes:
Because you're off topic.

This thread is not about how you like to carry. This thread is about cargo pocket carry.

Remember, we're all on the same side. No need for everyone to get so defensive all the time. It doesn't always have to be a macho-man argument because someone does things differently or recommends things differently to their fellow 2A supporter. There are reasons why someone else thinks or does things the way they do.

My father wanted a "FA within reach" and he did just that. It didn't stop someone from jumping the counter and putting a pistol to his side while he opened the register and lottery box. We're grateful he kept his life.

I'm looking out. Not trying to be a "jerk" or tell anyone what to do. Recommending things. That's all..
This thread is not about "looking out". This thread is about cargo pocket carry.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread started 6 years ago. I hardly think it matters what it started out to be at this point...

All the threads on TFL are discussion threads, and while there are some broad limits on what can be posted on TFL, there's nothing that says a thread's topic can't wander as the discussion progresses--especially when it has lasted as long as this one.

Let's try focusing more on the topics under discussion and less on the members doing the discussion.

For what it's worth, it's never appropriate to post that someone is trolling. If they're really trolling the offending post should be reported to the staff using the report post feature (Click on the little triangle with the exclamation point in it.). And if they're not really trolling then there's no need to do anything at all.

This thread started 6 years ago. I hardly think it matters what it started out to be at this point...

All the threads on TFL are discussion threads, and while there are some broad limits on what can be posted on TFL, there's nothing that says a thread's topic can't wander as the discussion progresses--especially when it has lasted as long as this one.

Let's try focusing more on the topics under discussion and less on the members doing the discussion.

For what it's worth, it's never appropriate to post that someone is trolling. If they're really trolling the offending post should be reported to the staff using the report post feature (Click on the little triangle with the exclamation point in it.). And if they're not really trolling then there's no need to do anything at all.
This thread is not about poster's behavior. This thread is about cargo pocket carry.

The Desantis Nemesis holster that you posted a link to is pretty slick Blackbook, great execution of a very good idea.
Looks like it is probably the same one that GeekWithAGun posted a link to when this thread was started six years ago.
I would bet that if it is used in an appropriately sized cargo pocket where it wouldn't move about as is warned about in the ad, it would still print quite readily as a person moves about.
It looks like a good option, but I wouldn't typically expect it to save you from being 'made', when used as suggested.
Then again, who ever is doing the 'making' would tend to need to know what they are looking at.

The Desantis Nemesis holster that you posted a link to is pretty slick Blackbook, great execution of a very good idea.
Looks like it is probably the same one that GeekWithAGun posted a link to when this thread was started six years ago.
I would bet that if it is used in an appropriately sized cargo pocket where it wouldn't move about as is warned about in the ad, it would still print quite readily as a person moves about.
It looks like a good option, but I wouldn't typically expect it to save you from being 'made', when used as suggested.
Then again, who ever is doing the 'making' would tend to need to know what they are looking at.
Yeah, my boss is a revolver fanboy and reloads. Pluse we work together in the same lab so close proximity comes into play. That being said, it still took a couple years before he noticed.

Maybe I'm just to peranoid about it.

Back