CC in cargo pockets question

Try DeSantis, they make cargo pants pocket holsters. And regular ones, too. I carry my LCP a couple ways. I have an outside open holster that clips to my belt (very comfortable) and an inside the waistband holster. Regular pocket carry is nice, too.

This is okay for a back up gun. Use something light in a pocket holster. It still flops around a lot- not in the pocket, but it bangs into your knee. It's fine as long as you're not running or involved in some other strenuous activity.

tried it, but every weapon, in holster, that I put in tipped over at some point and took a long time (relatively speaking) to index and draw ... I usually put the things I normally carry in the upper pocket -- keys, fone, change -- in the cargo pocket and leave the pants pocket for my weapon ... another thing to think about is that one big advantage of pants pocket carry is that you can keep your hand on your weapon, speeding the presentation ... I've never seen anybody walking with their hand in the cargo pocket ...

I carry a P3AT in a Desantis nemesis cargo holster daily, and have for about 6 months. There are a couple things I have found to consider that are along the same lines as others have mentioned.

First, the holster, like I mentioned, is a Desantis Nemesis cargo holster (Link here) which instead of having the normal hook at the bottom, extends out with an extra magazine pouch which keeps the gun from tipping over in your pocket.

Second, I try to pay attention to the pockets when I'm buying pants. I like the Wrangle Originals. I can't see any other identification on them, but they have smaller pleats in the pockets so they don't expand out very much. I have found they keep things in place nicely. My work has me moving around, crouching a lot, sitting while driving from stop to stop, and everything stays in place just fine.

Finally, as far as accessibility goes, with the Wrangler pants at least, they have velcro securing the pocket, so it opens easily. Buttons are definitely not ideal, but I have a couple pairs of pants with button close pockets that work ok, I guess. Just like any draw, it takes some practice. Yes, it is slower that from an IWB or OWB solution, but for me, it works fine. If all else fails, I figure the only time I would be trying to get to it would be in the type of situation where I wouldn't care if I had to rip a couple buttons off the pockets in order to get to it.

I MUCH prefer to carry IWB, but since my work attire and activities won't let me carry any other way, this is what I do. Obviously not for everyone, but I think it's a valid form of carry. Better than nothing...

I carry a 340PD in cargo pants, but it fits in the regular pocket, not in the little cargo flap pocket. I like the idea of having my hand in my pocket in a natural way so it doesn't look like I am doing anything different than walking with my hand in my pocket. I use a Mika or Uncle Mike's holster.

I am new to the concealed carry world and wonder if any of you carry in the cargo pocket of pants. I would like to hear your thoughts/opinions, pros/cons to doing so. I wear cargo pants 90% of the time and it seems like an easy way to conceal a Ruger LCP size gun.
5f7432f18c696a342994aac176d43401.jpg

My apologies for the necro, but as folks tend to complain about reoccurring threads of a topic, I thought I'd Google my topic first and just add onto any existing thread.

I proffer cargo pocket carry over front pocket carry. It's great concealment and easier to get to while driving or in a strugle than from the front pocket. A gun moving around in the pocket is just a holster issue and easily resolved: https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum116...kVACXsU0C1b-698oMoz1h42x7oBkkCpBZQaAvdb8P8HAQ Additionaly, cargo-pocket carry doesn't hinder movement for those of us dealing with a weight issue :)

Thanks for that link Blackbook. That looks like the ideal solution and I will check it out.

I religiously carry in cargo pockets, particularly shorts. It just seems to be the easiest, low-profile ccw in the Arizona heat. I use pocket holsters now, and no, they don't keep a weapon in presentation position. Frankly, it's the price I have been willing to pay in order to insure I am in compliance with "Rule Number #1".

I CC in the cargo pocket of cargo shorts, when I wear them. Here are my thoughts. My cc is a Diamondback DB9 in wallet-type holster (not aow one). It is very easy and convenient for me to carry this way, the gun doesn't print - I hardly know I've got it with me. BUT it is slower for me to deploy than from a traditional IWB holster. And, it can be difficult to get to when in a seated position. What the heck, nothing's perfect, right?

I CC in the cargo pocket of cargo shorts, when I wear them. Here are my thoughts. My cc is a Diamondback DB9 in wallet-type holster (not aow one). It is very easy and convenient for me to carry this way, the gun doesn't print - I hardly know I've got it with me. BUT it is slower for me to deploy than from a traditional IWB holster. And, it can be difficult to get to when in a seated position. What the heck, nothing's perfect, right?
Yup, everything's a trade off my friend :)

... don't bother, it's useless. Flops around, hits your leg/knee, a worse draw than an ankle rig, everything is bad, tried everything ... nothing worked. Front shooting hand pocket with a Desantis nemesis, you'll always carry it ...

This sums it up nicely. I wear cargo pants or shorts when I'm not working or in a formal setting. The cargo pockets are generally bad for guns but they can free up space in your front pockets. I've found that the front pockets in most cargo pants are great for a pocket-holstered J-frame or LCR.

Sure, front pockets aren't great while driving. A lot of standard carry methods suffer when seated and strapped in. With a pocket holster, you could easily move the gun from a front pocket to a cargo pocket if you wanted. It's still not great. It's been my experience that shoulder carry is king in the car. Ankle is probably better than any pocket for that too.

Nothing in this world beats this method of carry: Inside or outside the waistband. On you.

Not ankle, not in the car, not in the pocket, not in a shoulder holster, not in the small of your back, not many things... Only thing better is having the gun in your hand. That's alarming to most. So keep it in or outside your waistband.

Now, for a back-up gun? I guess you can do pocket, ankle, or whatever the heck. It's a free gun.

For your primary defense pistol. In or outside the waistband.

I Pocket Carry a 45 acp and it is as fast as IWB and more comfortable. IWB is not as comfortable and prints or looks whopsided.

Blackbook is right, Constantine. Belt carry is great except when it isn't. It can be a matter of situation, dress, fashion, concealment, compliance, comfort, or even physical condition. I'd especially challenge the idea that belt carry, inside or out, is best in the car.

Sitting means conforming your body to a seat. Forgetting the different kinds of space we all take up with our different body types, guns take up space! Even when it isn't a full-sized duty gun, accommodating that space in the belt zone won't be ideal in all types of seat. Cars are a common extreme because the seat, belt, and other things mean more points of contact or overall contact area. We could argue over the price of comfort versus the value of life but for non-professional carry, a gun that's a pain to carry for any of these reasons is more likely to get left at home.

Add to all that the need for an easy draw and there are clearly circumstances in which belt carry is not the best method.

There are many tuckable holsters. I stand by my comment. It may not work for everyone, especially when they don't want to work a little hard for it. Taking an extra 5 minutes to set up your tuckable holster is all it takes.

I discovered Wrangler cargo pants last November, buying them for $19.99 a pair at the Walmarks for a camping trip. Turns out to be some of the most comfortable, durable, and practical pants I've owned, even since my days of wearing BDUs in the Army.

The idea of carrying my M&P 40c in the cargo pocket nice, but it just barely doesnt fit. Plus, as others have mentioned, it bangs around against the knee and leg as I walk. Maybe the right holster would help, but for now it's not happening. Plus it shows just a tad when the pocket flap rides up.

I typically just carry appendix or in the front pocket.

With summer approaching I may go back to cargo shorts and with the pocket up a bit higher I could see this potentially working out. In the meantime, a spare mag or two goes in the cargo pocket instead.

There are many tuckable holsters. I stand by my comment. It may not work for everyone, especially when they don't want to work a little hard for it. Taking an extra 5 minutes to set up your tuckable holster is all it takes.
If that's what works for you, great. This thread is about cargo pocket carry, tho.

Last edited:
I do sometimes, with my j-frame sized revolver.....and even occasionally my Glock 26. However, not without a pocket holster, to keep the gun oriented correctly in the pocket.

I guess if you absolutely must carry in a pocket. Do so in one of the front pockets according to which is your strong hand. It's inconspicuous compared to reaching in a cargo pant pocket.

Stick Holsters work. :)

Back