CC in cargo pockets question

Empty Casing

Inactive
I am new to the concealed carry world and wonder if any of you carry in the cargo pocket of pants. I would like to hear your thoughts/opinions, pros/cons to doing so. I wear cargo pants 90% of the time and it seems like an easy way to conceal a Ruger LCP size gun.

I don't carry my pocket guns in my cargo pockets because it takes longer to be able to get at and the pockets are bigger so the gun would not stay the same way that I put it in my pocket which would also lead to a longer time for me to be able to access my weapon. I keep my pocket pistol in my front pocket.

I want my gun secured in a holster where it's not going to move around on me. Baggy and bouncing around doesn't work for me.

Cargo pockets seem like a good idea until you actually put a gun in the pocket. It flops around, bangs into your knees and just isn't generally handy. The good news is that cargo pants and shorts generally have nice deep front pockets that are handy for carrying an LCP or other smallish gun.

Front pocket is alot better on cargo pants. Flopping around is no way to keep your firearm, should you ever actually need it.

I appreciate the input. I wouldn't carry it without a holster for trigger protection and to cut down on the flopping around. I was curious if anyone does it and likes the result.

I often wear cargo shorts. Carry your lcp in the front strong side pocket. Put you keys, phone or other crap in the cargo pocket.

I wear cargo pants 95% of the time, don't bother, it's useless. Flops around, hits your leg/knee, a worse draw than an ankle rig, everything is bad, tried everything @ creative concealment local here in FL, nothing worked. Front shooting hand pocket with a Desantis nemesis, you'll always carry it, a carry gun is only good if you have it with you.

WvHiker said:
The good news is that cargo pants and shorts generally have nice deep front pockets that are handy for carrying an LCP or other smallish gun.
The pocket is large enough on the shorts I buy to regularly carry a 3" 1911.

Though I haven't done it, . . . thinking outside of the box, . . . cut out the back of the cargo pocket, . . . wear a thigh holster, . . . you can carry any sized hog leg you want that way.

May God bless,
Dwight

I do carry my LCP in a pocket holster on occasion in the cargo pocket of my shorts. It's an easy method to carry a small gun like the LCP, the only draw back is that it floats around in the pocket. The bad thing with pocket float is that the gun is never in the same place twice and I'd hate to fumble for the gun if I needed.

Cabela's 7 pocket pants for concealed carry.

The front pockets on these pants will conceal all of the small pistols and some medium ones such as a Glock 19. Excellent quality and they come in a variety of colors. They also come in shorts.

Last edited:
Cargo pockets seem like a good idea until you actually put a gun in the pocket. It flops around, bangs into your knees and just isn't generally handy. The good news is that cargo pants and shorts generally have nice deep front pockets that are handy for carrying an LCP or other smallish gun.

I tried the cargo pockets a few times with a PA-63 and eventually came to the same conclusion. As someone else said, you can often just shift whatever you kept in the front pocket into the cargo pocket to make room for the pistol.

I cargo pocket carry. Turns out, the cargo pocket on the pants I wear perfectly holds a Kimber Ultra 1911 and holds it upright. When I carry a PM9, it has to go in a pocket holster because it would move around.

The gun and pockets on my cargo pants don't flop around as the pant leg on which the pocket is location is not a loose fit on my leg.

Cargo pockets seem like a good idea until you actually put a gun in the pocket. It flops around, bangs into your knees and just isn't generally handy.

Just curious, just what brand/make of cargo pants do you have where the cargo pockets are down at knee level? Mine are all up on the thigh.

cargo pockets, storage-conceal carry; BDUs-military pants...

I saw a special holster/holder for a Taser X26 model that fits standard BDU type cargo pockets. I think it was DeSantis Nemnesis or maybe Unkle Mike's.
I'm not a big fan of packing gear in cargo or side pockets. As a military veteran of the 1980s/1990s I wore woodland camo BDUs about 98% of my 4 years on active duty. I did not like the fit/feel of items hanging of the sides of my legs. It was wierd and not really practical. Maps, papers or notebooks maybe but not weapons or magazines/speed strips. I never really wear cargo shorts or 5.11 type pants-shorts so it's a non-issue.
I'd carry a pocket holster on my hip pockets, upper chest or jacket.
I've seen the 5-0 jeans and the Blackie Collins line that have special pockets built in to carry-conceal weapons/gear.

Clyde

I carry a P3AT in the pocket of my cargo pants as a backup to my G19. My holster is a $5 leather piece that I bought at a gunshow. There's no label on it, but it fits the wide pocket in cargo pants really well.

I've never had the gun shift and I've been using that holster daily for years.

Last edited:
I don't carry a gun in my cargo pants pockets, but they make a great place to carry a couple spare double stack mags.

Normally, I only carry in a holster.

Try this - if you can go to a range, try drawing your pistol from cargo shorts as if your life depended on it. Next, try this with a holster whether IWB or OWB. You will see very quickly that the latter is far better than the former.

No range to shoot at? Unload your pistol, then check it a second time. ;) Try the same test.

A cargo pocket carry, imo, is a last resort carry in a situation that is within your control and has absolutely no potential to turn deadly.

Has anyone tried sewing 'Hook & Loop' patches into the cargo pocket and on the carry gun holster to secure it in the cargo pocket ? This method works in a winter jacket pocket.

Back