Carry a sidearm during a hunt?

Depending on the state, I like to carry a sidearm as well. Typically, my S&W 686 6".

I carry it concealed mostly as I have my CCW. If its a little warmer, I will open carry since its legal in Kentucky.

I always carry a pistol when I hunt. There's nothing like seeing a big pig when you have only birdshot in your plugged shotgun, or getting in brush with a big group of hogs.

I usually carry a 4" 686 .357, but will also carry a USP .45 when I'm explicitly going for hogs in the brush.

Not too many outdoorman are gonna bash someone for carrying double (i.e. long and short guns). At some point you do reach "mall ninja visits the woods" status if you go beyond that and start strapping all sorts of other BS on but that's neither here nor there as long as you're legal. But........

Carrying 2 guns of equal "game value" is a waste. Been there, done that, have learned you have to be a couple bricks shy of a full load to keep doing it.

I do however carry a small game and finishing .22lr when out hunting with a shotgun or centerfire rifle. There is also some merit for centerfire handguns when you're out and about with a .22lr rifle. I've found that 2nd case to be pretty much a waste also but then I don't have any targets of opportunity bigger than a yote around here either. I'm also not worried about SD in the woods and even if I was, I'm not droppin the gun in my hands to reach for a bigger gun just cause the book say's it's a better gun for the job.

If your main gun is lashed to your back (either with a sling or rigged into your pack), a sidearm, even of equal "game value" would be very convenient should you stumble upon something that requires action.

Most parks are not low crime areas considering population/visitor density. Lots of drug deals, drug cultivation, and in the campgrounds domestic disputes.

First time a bullet came my direction was during a DD the next campsite over. Wife fired a revolver to scare husband she thought was going to hit her. She thought their mobile home was a good thing to aim at. I was in the campsite behind it and the rounds obviously went right through the mobile home. It was at night and we were all laying down in tents, but the top of my tent had two added ventilation ports the next morning!

well there are restrictions. The gun has to be legal in your state for hunting your game animal. At least if you plan on using it to put down an animal youve shot with a rifle.

nothing more unpleasant then explaining to the jduge that the .22lr in the deers head was from you putting it down, not from you shooting it from the bedroom window.

well there are restrictions. The gun has to be legal in your state for hunting your game animal. At least if you plan on using it to put down an animal youve shot with a rifle.

nothing more unpleasant then explaining to the jduge that the .22lr in the deers head was from you putting it down, not from you shooting it from the bedroom window.
this seems like a hard law to enforce. obviously if you are caught shooting a deer with a 22LR in a state that doesn't allow it the obviously you have no defense but until you use it to try and kill a game animal there is no proof that you intend to use it to do so and there is no law anywhere in the US(except maybe DC) that says you can not carry a handgun on your person, while in the woods while hunting.

If I hunt handgun, that's all I carry across the chest. But if I hunt shotgun or rifle, I still carry the handgun on a belt holster since it's possible a deer could appear under the elevated blind or perhaps very close by from an unexpected direction in a ground blind. So if really close, I'd draw the hand gun. If in the woods collecting firewood or maybe just scouting out a place to sit next, odds are a deer could be kicked up, so yes- I'd have the handgun at the side.
Just seems natural to me to be outfitted with a handgun either on a belt or across the chest regardless if you have a rifle or shotgun with you or not.

there is no law anywhere in the US(except maybe DC) that says you can not carry a handgun on your person, while in the woods while hunting.
There is in Ohio during our deer seasons.

From Ohio's hunting laws under the section...
A deer hunter CANNOT do any of the following:

Carry a handgun while hunting deer during the early muzzleloader season, the statewide muzzleloader season, and archery season; have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a handgun being used during hunting in a concealed manner. Except as noted in number 11 under "A Deer Hunter Can do the Following" (see below)

A deer hunter CAN do the following:

#11. Concealed Carry: A person possessing a valid Concealed Carry license may carry their concealed weapon while hunting, but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal.

Last edited:
With a few exceptions I don't feel the need to carry a handgun when I'm hunting with a rifle. I don't need the extra weight or bulk. On occasion I will bring the Single Six long for grouse. I don't do it often though.

My other exception is I'll sometimes carry a handgun when bird hunting. Again, its just a sometimes thing and not my standard procedure.

I don't have any problem at all with a guy carrying two guns though.

this seems like a hard law to enforce. obviously if you are caught shooting a deer with a 22LR in a state that doesn't allow it the obviously you have no defense but until you use it to try and kill a game animal there is no proof that you intend to use it to do so and there is no law anywhere in the US(except maybe DC) that says you can not carry a handgun on your person, while in the woods while hunting.

As the Ohio poster said, this is not so.

Here in NY you can not carry a handgun during archery season. I wish you could, but you can't. Don't make blanket statements about "no law anywhere in the US". Do a little checking, and you'll be amazed at the number of senseless laws in the US regarding most things, including what you can and can not carry during a hunting season.

there is no law anywhere in the US(except maybe DC) that says you can not carry a handgun on your person, while in the woods while hunting.

Not so.

you'll be amazed at the number of senseless laws in the US regarding most things, including what you can and can not carry during a hunting season.

This is so.

Nebraska, by the letter of the law, does not allow anyone to carry a centerfire anything during deer season if they do not have a deer permit.

Stupid? Of course, but some idjit convinced some other idjits that "Why, there oughta be a LAW!" ..... and that if someone had anything bigger than a .22 during deer season, well they must be poaching .......

I carry a M625 in .45 Colt or a 1911 in 10mm When grouse hunting in the U.P. Only because I think a black bear might get a little peeved at being shot with a 20 gauge and # 8 shot. Grouse & bears seem to frequent the same areas in the fall.

After receiving my pistol permit this past spring I fully intend on carrying a sidearm with me while hunting. I am def excited about attempting to harvest a whitetail with my Ruger Blackhawk.

Before I was a hunter I was a soldier. I didn't carry a handgun then as I had a rifle that was far more powerful than any handgun!!! The same goes for rifle hunting!!! When I bow hunt, which is almost always I carry my 45 for protection from people not for killing game. There is absolutely no reason to carry a hand gun while rifle hunting!!! You sure don't need it for small game as you don't need to be making any noise killing them when your hunting big game.

There is absolutely no reason to carry a hand gun while rifle hunting!!!

Unless you choose to do so. That's reason enough for me and many others and we don't have to justify it to you or anyone else. You have your opinion and we have ours.

A fair number of folks carry a .22 pistol of some sort for small game or for a coup de grace. A centerfire deer rifle isn't quite the thing for ptarmigan, rabbits or squirrels.

In camp, with a rifle leaned against a tree or in one's tent, a pistol on one's hip can be very useful on some rare occasion.

No reason for carrying a handgun when rifle hunting? Here are a few:

1. Ability to administer less messy coup de grace, if needed;

2. Ability to keep weapon on person and ready while eating, answering calls of nature, sleeping in tent, etc if in area with predators (4 or 2 legged);

3. Pursuit of wounded animal into very dense brush (had this happen on a hog hunt, where another shooter's shoulder hit did not drop the hog; maneuver in the palmetto scrub with long guns proved extremely difficult, so people switched to magnum revolvers).

Also, depending how you carry your rifle when trekking to or from location. A rifle tied to your pack while going to/from your campsite can be pretty cumbersome to get ready compared to a handgun at your side, should a need arise.

So, there are several very legitimate reasons to carry a sidearm. Despite that, because someone wants to and legally can is reason enough.

Back