Care to see what 70000 rounds on a Glock looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an albatross with a remarkably awful trigger.

Yep, The civilian version especially as it is a pure afterthought when they could not get NATO to bite off on the concept. The Military version is fully automatic with a detachable shoulder stock/holster. That stock actually interfaces with the trigger, housing a portion of the trigger pack, and it is not so bad. Without the stock it horrible as it was only meant to be used as a pistol in an emergency.

Mobile One 30 weight.

I use CLP because the Army spent lots of science, time, and effort to develop a system that did not have the issue of other lubricants.

Now, they are developing a system where weapons do not have to be lubricated very much if at all.

So in a year or so, go get that Glock coated and run another 70,000 rounds thru it, LOL.

What if you never had to clean and lubricate your rifle again?

Testing so far has been limited but encouraging, the two said. A 10,000-round test of an M4A1, for example, produced zero stoppages despite testers never cleaning the gun, Foltz said. "The only time we weren't shooting was to let the barrel cool."

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...rmy-weapon-tech-could-make-cleaning-obsolete/

The US Army’s Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center (ARDEC) has developed an integral surface treatment for infantry small arms that could augment or supplant the existing applicated Cleaning, Lubricating, Preserving (CLP) lubricant on small arms components.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/10/us-army-develops-integral-dry-lubricant-replace-clp/

I use CLP because the Army spent lots of science, time, and effort to develop a system that did not have the issue of other lubricants.

Now, they are developing a system where weapons do not have to be lubricated very much if at all.

So in a year or so, go get that Glock coated and run another 70,000 rounds thru it, LOL.
Hey, whatever floats your boat or what Uncle Sam tells you to use. :)

Over the years, the government has flip-flopped around and used a bunch of different things. I still have an old can of issue, "state of the art", early 70's era Dry Slide around here somewhere. Ive tried most of the "lubes of the month", and they all work for the most part. Frog Lube is one Id really recommend you avoid though.

The Mobil One works just as well as the high dollar fancy stuff Ive used in the past and at a fraction of the cost, and you can find it anywhere.

Glocks run fine with minimal lube and are one of the few that really need no preventive stuff as far as rust goes. I havent had one rust yet, and Ive had a number of handguns rust over the years.

Hey, whatever floats your boat or what Uncle Sam tells you to use.
Interestingly enough, the reason I started using BreakFree CLP was that it was recommended in the owner's manual of my first firearm. I figured if a firearm manufacturer thought enough of another company's product to mention it in their product literature, it was worth looking into.
The Mobil One works just as well as the high dollar fancy stuff Ive used in the past and at a fraction of the cost, and you can find it anywhere.
At one time (maybe still true) the Mobil One synthetic lubricant base and the lubricant base in BreakFree CLP were identical. What differentiated the two were the additives which made Mobil One suited for automotive lubrication and made BreakFree CLP suited for firearm lubrication, cleaning, and corrosion protection.

Mobil One will certainly do a good job of lubricating a firearm (as your experience shows), however in the testing I've seen, it doesn't do nearly as good a job on corrosion protection as a premium firearm lube. In addition, it may have some additives that are not ideal for something that will be carried next to clothing or skin although that statement may also be true of CLP.

Corrosion resistance isn't a huge concern for Glocks as they are pretty rust resistant. That said, I don't have much experience with the new finish they're using on the U.S. made pistols. It's worthwhile to keep in mind that the internal "silver-colored" parts are plated steel, so if they are "polished" excessively or wear significantly the steel may be exposed and can rust at that point.

Some had triggers I preferred over others, and in talking about them on the forum I've found a number of people that agree, and a number that dramatically disagree. I haven't owned any such pistol where I found unanimous consent on the trigger. While I would agree there are factors about which most generally agree, it seems like the debate never ends (evidence for which is partly this forum's continued existence and of course the market choices today).

Agree..seems like 'caliber wars'..'trigger wars'...
I see this thread as an example of one Glock that, from my read of it, faired fairly well over a relatively high round count for a pistol (especially in the realm of civilian use). Glock's customer service also seemed good. Whether someone does or doesn't like Glock, does or doesn't like their triggers, to me doesn't change that narrative.

Agree again..pretty new returnee to guns, and 'some' will discount me as just a 'FNG", but after owning Ruger, S&W, Taurus, and now Glock..yup, their triggers are different but none YUGELY 'better' than another..IMHO.
For the recent comments about the very poor performance with the Glock, to me that pistol should go back to Glock on Glock's dime, or be fixed locally by a Glock armorer. The only way to keep manufacturers honest is to demand they maintain their quality. One good example is great, but many good examples is a lot better.

Agree again...the gent needs to send that thing back or get a refund..

Interestingly enough, the reason I started using BreakFree CLP was that it was recommended in the owner's manual of my first firearm. I figured if a firearm manufacturer thought enough of another company's product to mention it in their product literature, it was worth looking into.
I found out about Eezox that way. Seecamp was recommending it in their manuals as, of all things, a CLP. The protectant part it has down, the cleaning and lubing part, not at all.

The only way to find out is to actually use them and see. I found that out with Frog Lube. Great marketing, Not so great product.

Mobil One will certainly do a good job of lubricating a firearm (as your experience shows), however in the testing I've seen, it doesn't do nearly as good a job on corrosion protection as a premium firearm lube. In addition, it may have some additives that are not ideal for something that will be carried next to clothing or skin although that statement may also be true of CLP.

Corrosion resistance isn't a huge concern for Glocks as they are pretty rust resistant. That said, I don't have much experience with the new finish they're using on the U.S. made pistols. It's worthwhile to keep in mind that the internal "silver-colored" parts are plated steel, so if they are "polished" excessively or wear significantly the steel may be exposed and can rust at that point.
Ive tried the "do all" products and found they might do all "OK", as with most things of the type, they dont do "ALL" things, great.

These days, I just clean with a cleaner meant for just that, and lube with the Mobile One.

The only thing I dont use it on, are things like M1 Garands, that require grease.

For anything I might be worried about rust/corrosion with, I use Eezox.

Until I come across something that might work better, that seems to be the ticket of me right now, and its been working well.

The only thing Ive ever had start to rust on a Glock, were the slide stop levers. The finish on them wears off from holster wear and use over time.

One of the reasons I like Glock is because of their being pretty much impervious to corrosion. My sweat seems to be caustic, and I sweat like a pig. Working outside in hot, humid summers, doesnt fare well for pretty much anything carried on my body that ends up exposed to sweat.

Guns in leather holsters were particularly susceptible to constant rust, especially during the summer months. Kydex and things like hard chrome finishes were much better protection than any of the wiped on "protectants".

Eezox is the only one of those so far, that Ive found actually works as advertised. But even with it, you still need to constantly keep after things.

Guns in leather holsters were particularly susceptible to constant rust, especially during the summer months. Kydex and things like hard chrome finishes were much better protection than any of the wiped on "protectants".

Funny you mention that but for a long time my truck gun was a model 65 stainless steel 357 in an Uncle Mikes Ballistic Nylon holster and the gun would get speckles of rust on top of the barrel and frame where the sand blasted area is. And nothing I put on it would protect it. Not even wax. I finally traded it out for a SW9VE for a truck gun.

My bud has a heavy barreled model 10 police trade in and he kept it in the same kind of holster and had the same rust issues with his gun. So now he keeps it wrapped in a rag. And I even sprayed the inside of my holster with Remoil. Still rusted.

I put my GP-100 stainless Steel in the Uncle Mikes holster just as an experiment and its never rusted a single bit. I'm still thinking on this one.:confused:

Give Eezox a try. I have some tools and a shotgun I keep in a fairly damp basement (even with a dehumidifier running), and I havent had a speck of rust on anything Ive wiped down with Eezox. And thats just once or twice a year.

If you want something you dont have to mess with, then something like having the gun hard chromed would probably be your best bet.

Ive carried a couple of stainless guns over the years, again, in leather holsters, and they too would rust, especially at and under the grips. Done the same with a hard chromed gun, and there was some very light and fine powdery surface rust around the inboard grip, but basically no rust at all.

Hi AK. My bud was a big fan of Eezox and showed it to me. I have never seen it for sale around me but have to admit I haven't looked either.

Like I said I just swapped truck guns and the SW9VE is about the best truck pistol you can get. I found a secret hidey hole my BIL who is a fireman showed me that he said most cops don't know about.

I have a GMC Sierra 2004 model and where the console is and the drink holder in front of the console if you try with effort you can lift out the drink holder and there is a cavity there that will easily hold the gun and a spare mag. I sanded the tabs a little and made it a lot easier to remove. Not super fast access but fast enough for me.

Anyway its dry and no rust problems with the S&W auto in there. But I will look for Eezox and pick up some Mobile 1.

In case you haven't figured it out yet I am hatchet jack over on the Survivalist Boards forum.:D

They rust like any other piece of metal.
There are metal treatments that make metal more corrosion resistant. Ferritic Nitrocarburizing (also known as Tenifer or Melonite) is one such treatment. While it does not make metal completely corrosion proof, it does reduce corrosion significantly.

So, no, steel treated with ferritic nitrocarburizing doesn't "rust like any other piece of metal"--it will rust less than untreated steel. It may still rust (as can stainless steel or steel protected by other means) when exposed to extreme conditions (e.g. 2 days in a salt spray cabinet) but it tends to be quite corrosion resistant in practical environments. Depending on the treatment parameters it can result in a steel part that is more corrosion resistant than some stainless steels, or even than hard chrome plating.

For what it's worth, ferritic nitrocarburizing is not really a Glock specific treatment. A number of firearm makers use similar metal treatments on their guns. However, as mentioned the results can vary depending on treatment parameters.

There are metal treatments that make metal more corrosion resistant.

Right and most firearms are treated. Almost every Military treats their weapons against corrosion which means in theory......

I should not have had to tell them to clean the rust off their weapons.

Yet it happened. Go figure.

They rust like any other piece of metal. They even rusted in Afghanistan....like every other weapon...when you only put a little lube on it, LOL.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139
My experience has been, compared to a lot of other things, they are pretty rust resistant, even when you dont keep after them. The only thing Ive seen rust on them, has been the slide stop lever, due to the finish being worn off from use and holster wear.

Prior to finishes like hard chrome and Tennifer, it was a constant struggle to keep things from rusting, especially in the summer with leather holsters. Really never had that issue once I had things chromed, or went with Glocks.

But thats just from actual daily use, and not "trying" to get it to fail. Im sure if you try hard enough, you can make anything fail, if you want.

Then there is this. Chuck Taylor did an extended dunk test (6 months) with his one Glock, in the ocean, with no results like youre showing in your link.

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/05/23/glock-17-torture-test-ocean/

Makes you wonder what the differences were.

Right and most firearms are treated. Almost every Military treats their weapons against corrosion which means in theory......

I should not have had to tell them to clean the rust off their weapons.

Yet it happened. Go figure.
Sounds like they had ineffective leadership. :p

Last edited:
Great write up from Chuck Taylor. His Glock and his reports were the first to really get my attention about owning a Glock. I did briefly own one Glock. A 357 Sig version I bought at the gunshow. Before I could could even shoot it a friend begged me to sell it to him. So I did. For a profit of course. He still has the gun a decade later. Thats a record for him. He buys and shoots 50 rounds and then sells, normally at a loss and buys something else.

I really want a Gen3 model 17.:mad:

Oil

That is all we would use on our weapons for dive ops. Point being there is no wonderwaffen....

So I decided why not take one for the team and do some testing on it. My family owns a company that does plating and surface finishing for aerospace and defense and we just happen to have a salt spray cabinet. So during our monthly testing, I decided to see just how good the tenifer finish is at corrosion resistance. This is one of the pictures after 48 hours of salt spray. Note that I carried the Glock from spring of '98 until Valentines Day of '05, so there was some wear on the finish, and that the salt may have attacked those areas only/moreso. I thoroughly degreased the slide before the test so there wasn't oil protecting the slide whatsoever.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139

Sounds like they had ineffective leadership.

Third World Nations....What do you expect and why do you think we where there????

:rolleyes:

Oil

That is all we would use on our weapons for dive ops. Point being there is no wonderwaffen....
Youre right, there is no wonder weapon. German, Austrian, US, whatever. But some things do tend work better than others in harsh conditions.

Im not buying those "48 hour" spray cabinet results either.

Im not saying they cant rust, just that in my experience, you would have to really work at it to get it to happen.

I dont wipe my Glocks down with oil, or anything other than Hoppes when I clean them. Never have, and never found the need to, and thats been across all generations. I oil the internals where and how Glock specifies, nothing more.

Ive carried a number of different makes of handguns on a daily (16-18 day) basis, for about 45 years now. Worked and played hard, outdoors, my whole life too. So far, the Glocks, and a couple of 1911's Ive had hard chromed, have been the only ones that didnt need to be constantly babied, and havent had rust issues.

I know you seem to have some sort of hard on for the Glocks, which is fine, we all have our likes and dislikes. Use whatever you like best.

Im simply pointing out some things Ive found from personal experience, to differ from what you'd have us believe.

Ive owned and used guns by most of the big name companies over the years, and Ive found the Glocks to be reliable and more durable than most, and a real bargain for the money.

Im also up for trying anything that looks like it might be decent too. If I find something better, then Ill move up. But right now, I have gone through and replaced SIG's, HK's, Colts, Walthers, and a few others, and right now, its Glock in that spot thats filling the bill.

Third World Nations....What do you expect and why do you think we where there????

:rolleyes:

And they are now rust free, and all have big smiles on their faces due to your tutelage? :)

Right and most firearms are treated.
Right, and that's why they don't "rust like any other piece of metal".

If they did "rust like any other piece of metal" then nobody would waste money treating them. They would just leave them bare.
Point being there is no wonderwaffen...
That is certainly true, however it is also true that some metal treatments are better than others. That doesn't mean that no maintenance is necessary, but a superior metal treatment can ease maintenance requirements somewhat and also provide a little "wiggle room" when the weapon must be used in unusually harsh conditions or when circumstances prevent normal maintenance.
The parameters of the treatment determine how thick the treatment penetrates into the steel, and that can have a bearing on how it holds up to extreme conditions. This is why, even though Melonite and Tenifer are technically the same treatment, one can see different real-world results between two weapons treated with "the same treatment".

I once carried a G23 on a week long backpack trip in PA. It rained every day, and when it wasn’t raining, there was high, sweaty humidity.
The G23 was either in a damp pack pocket, or IWB in a cheap Uncle Mike’s soft nylon holster the whole time. In fact, that holster was trashed from being wet the whole time, and the pistol was in it continuously.
Upon my return home, the G23 looked like it never left. I knew that if I had carried the Browning HiPower I owned, it would have been a rusty mess...That pistol would rust if you looked at it wrong.

And they are now rust free, and all have big smiles on their faces due to your tutelage?

Nope. Just wishing they had Glocks so they never rusted.....

Right, and that's why they don't "rust like any other piece of metal".

If they did "rust like any other piece of metal" then nobody would waste money treating them. They would just leave them bare.

Is your point firearms do not rust?

So far, the Glocks, and a couple of 1911's Ive had hard chromed, have been the only ones that didnt need to be constantly babied, and havent had rust issues.

Our factory loaner Glock 21’s rusted in Afghanistan. Not any worse than any other firearm but they did rust. Do not oil them, add moisture...and the metal oxidizes.

Must have just had a bad batch sent by the factory for us to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back