Care to see what 70000 rounds on a Glock looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... why would you do it with a budget priced firearm?
I practice the most with what I carry. Glocks happen to be what I carry these days.

Wouldn't the 70,000 rounds have been more enjoyable with a nicer gun?
As far as "enjoyable", any of them are enjoyable, as long as they work.

I guess "nice" is in the eye of the beholder. Ive had more expensive guns, not work nearly as well, or as long. I also no longer have any of them.

Glocks, while nothing fancy, are just plain old work horses. Accurate, and boringly reliable. I can live with that. :)

I don't think that was his point. I believe the point is that if you're going to shoot a lot, it's makes sense to pay up for a reliable gun you can count on rather than skimping to save $100 or so.

Obviously that wasn't the case though. I've got a gun with 40k through it myself. From what I have seen, the people who beg the question about spending a little more money for an extra degree of something, are on the outside looking it. The reality is the price of the gun isn't directly tied to the enjoyment that the shooter gets from the gun. For longevity, the proof is in the pudding.

Yes, after posting, I realized I had misread, which is why i deleted my post almost immediately...

I had initially interpreted it as saying that it's worth paying a little more for a Glock rather than Taurus or some other gun with a hit-and-miss reputation. In that case, I agreed.

Then I realized it implied that the Glock was the "cheap" gun... and that time would have been better spent with a more expensive gun... I don't necessarily agree with that.

While I did carry this gun for a little while early on, it soon became my range, and daily dry fire gun (its been dry fired a lot more than its been shot). It does get handled pretty much daily.

Do you use snap caps?

Do you use snap caps?
Yup, always.

Main reason is, they are an added safety measure, as you cant have a live round in the gun, if you have intentionally and deliberately placed a snap cap there.

While I use them in pretty much every gun while dry firing, I am aware of some of the Glock breech face issues, and the supposed cause. If it really is an issue, Im at least addressing or allowing for it. Not that I have seen the slightest sign of it happening with any of my Glocks.

Just another update....

As of last weekend, 103,000 +/- rounds now. Still pretty boring, as nothing has happened since the trigger spring broke.

Some new pics anyway, and really not any noticeable differences since the first batch.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Love em.
Hate em
Doesn't matter if you are even passably acquainted with modern arms you should know a passably maintained Glock 9mm will run for damn ever.

They are ugly
Uncomfortable
Have no "soull" so to speak
Are far from "perfection"

But god damn if they don't generally run reliably and for damn ever. Combine that with the price and the fact you can pretty much buy parts at Pep Boys and it's hard to deny the value proposition.

I hate the fact that the Glock 19 is probably the best all around firearm you can buy. Yes......I have a G19........yes I feel dirty. :)

AK103K you have inspired me to start keeping track of my round count on my CZ-85B just to wonder. I won't get nearly as high as you with the count, but it will be a fun exercise nonetheless.

This is really the only one Ive kept this close a watch on. Tried it with a few others over the years, but usually lost interest over time.

This one has been easy, since I shoot it every week, and pretty much always the same amount of rounds each outing, so its easier to keep track.

Nice thread, glad you’re keeping it going.
I also track round count but only for a couple of guns like my Charter arms bull dog. 900 if I remember right and most were Winchester silver tip.
My 26 is at 1200. That is a joke count compared to yours.
I had the same reliability issue as yours and found it was my powder charge on my 34. All my other 9mm’s would take my 231 charge and but the 34 needed a couple of 10’s more.
I put a wolf barrel on my 34 so I can use lead.
Do you have a guess on your failures?

Failures as far as ammo goes, really havent had that many. I shoot my brass to failure, and usually dont notice the splits until Im prepping the brass. In the last 6-8 months or so, Ive been using Remington primers I got cheap ($20/1000), and have had a few duds in the mix with the couple of thousand Ive shot (the bulk of them are currently at the back of the que, so well see if it continues when they come up). I just use them for practice so its just more IAD material. Bought 10000 of them and Im almost through them now. :)

I usually use CCI and have never had an issue with them.

What I do notice as the brass starts to go is, the rims get chewed up over time and I start to get a noticeable number of malfunctions (I also start seeing a lot more split cases). Most are stovepipe/ejection type stoppages, but the occasional double feed isnt all that unusual. Great for practicing malfunction drils, as they are completely random and unexpected.

Every try Winchester? I purchased 20K several years ago and I am about half way though them and never had a failure.

Factory wise, I have shot a good amount of Winchester, Federal, Speer, etc. Both the "premium" versions, and the "practice" stuff. Never really had any issues with any of them that I can remember.

Most of what I shoot are my reloads, as they are the most cost effective. I normally buy my factory ammo by the case, which usually works out to about half of what the local shops charge for the same ammo. My reloads are usually less than half of what I pay for the ammo by the case.

There was a time back in the 90s when it was actually cheaper to by military surplus, Norinco/China Sports, etc, than it was to buy the components to reload. Miss those days, but it is what it is. Reloading is the only way I get to shoot as much as I do, and Im doing it constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back