Care to see what 70000 rounds on a Glock looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a couple of trigger springs today. Im just going to replace it and keep on shooting it.

Having gone this far, Im curious to see how far it goes.

Ive heard if you send it in, they will go over it and replace what they feel is needed, and supposedly, free of charge.

Interestingly enough, the trigger will reset, if you keep your finger on it, like you would while shooting. It just wont reset by itself. When the trigger wont reset, if you press it rearwards, like holding for reset while shooting, it will reset when the slide goes forward.

Im going to have to try this before I replace the spring, and see if it works when actually shooting. Might be something to keep in mind, if it were to happen at a bad time.
It will work. Glock actually describes this function in the Armorer's course and calls it a feature although I'm inclined to believe it was just a happy accident that it works this way.

If you are in a jam and notice your trigger isn't resetting, you can hold the trigger back and rack the slide with the trigger held back to get the trigger reset. You'll dump a live round but you'll get your trigger reset.
Ive heard if you send it in, they will go over it and replace what they feel is needed, and supposedly, free of charge.
You can also take it to a GSSF match in your area. The on-site armorer will generally replace parts (subject to some limitations) free of charge, as needed.

I remember people saying that poly guns won't hold up... but It seems that they do just fine.

There is a similar thread over on the S&W forums about an M&P that has hit over 70,000 rounds. He goes over his replacement parts and breakages... which were not many.

Appreciate the extensive report. Perhaps I missed it, didn't notice the model toward beginning. The full size 17 has a long standing rep of being a round count king. The NY (heavy) trigger is said to give better trig spring life.

Having gone this far, Im curious to see how far it goes.

I imagine it will go as far as you are willing to take it.

When do you consider the gun no longer original? New barrel, new slide, etc? :D

According to the ATF, I suppose your Glock will last until the polymer frame cracks.

Out of curiosity, how does the rifling look? Some folks say polygonal is supposed to last longer than traditional lands and grooves, others say the opposite.

Great thread and follow up.
I install a NY trigger because I prefer the increased resistance.
The NY trigger might be more resistant to failure than the standard spring.

I dont think they will wear out any time soon. I just compared them to another 17, and by looking at them, they really look no different, other than the edges on the one above, are sharper, and the metal more polished looking.

Some of those edges may just be part of the manufacturing process, and the way the part was stamped too, and how they end up polished/sharpened over time. The one I just compared it to, also has an "edge" on one of its rails, just not yet as sharp.

tough

Thanks for the pics and the effort at recording your round count/data.

Dang things (glocks) are sure enough tough. Interesting that the cosmetic/external does not show more wear than I see.

Here's to good maint too.

The only real obvious wear is the smiley on the barrel, and the usual wear you see on the slide stop.

The side really shows no wear, except at the front edges/corners of the slide, which do show some minor wear from contact going into holsters.

I have freshened up the stippling a couple of times, as its become worn from handling, but other than that, and a couple of spots on the trigger guard, where the holster locks, the frame shows virtually no wear. Any blemishes it might get, are usually on the exposed part of the grip in riding around in its El Paso "Tanker" holster, and the restippling normally cleans them up.

While I did carry this gun for a little while early on, it soon became my range, and daily dry fire gun (its been dry fired a lot more than its been shot). It does get handled pretty much daily.

As far as maintenance goes, its just part of the ritual. I never understood how people dont routinely clean and maintain their guns.

I'm not a big Glock fan, but that's only because I'm an old Smith & Wesson revolver fan. I've never really had much of an opinion about Glocks one way or the other to tell you truth, but I do love to rag on them.

My wife however seems to like them for some reason. She doesn't carry one, but has a Glock 17 police trade-in we got cheap, and she loves to shoot it at the range. A week or so ago we got to the range, and she didn't want to shoot, so I ended up at the line, out of 38 ammo, but with a Glock and a box of ammo that needed to be gotten rid of (can't haul that stuff home you know). So for the first time I more or less seriously shot a Glock.

I was pretty impressed. It hit where I expected it to, it had very soft recoil. I already knew it was reliable. There was a fellow at the range who swept up the brass and dumped it in my range bag. (I'm lazy and hate to chase brass.)

I'm not likely to trade in a Model 15 or 19 for one anytime soon, but I guess this one she's got can stay...but she's got to take care of it.

And let me borrow it once in a while...just to make sure it's safe for her to shoot you understand.

Gun has been cleaned and lubed after every outing, and the slide stripped and cleaned a couple of times a year. I usually blast the extractor and firing pin channel with Gun Scrubber once a month or so, and the frame a couple of three times a year.

A cleaned and lubed gun is a happy gun (and a reliable gun)! Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the information, rarely do we see the results of that high usage.

I've often wondered why people are so resistant to put the money into a better quality gun, saying they would rather put the money toward more ammo. As in your example, (spending roughly $8,000-to-$9,000 in ammo), why would you do it with a budget priced firearm? Wouldn't the 70,000 rounds have been more enjoyable with a nicer gun?

I've often wondered why people are so resistant to put the money into a better quality gun, saying they would rather put the money toward more ammo. As in your example, (spending roughly $8,000-to-$9,000 in ammo), why would you do it with a budget priced firearm? Wouldn't the 70,000 rounds have been more enjoyable with a nicer gun?

What do you find more enjoyable, looking at your gun or becoming a better shooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back