Bob Barr Enters Presidential Race as Libertarian

Will you consider voting for Bob Barr for President?

• Yes

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 54.6%

• Total voters
Forty thousand may be a bit excessive. I think it is seventy thousand in NC. But, if you didn't have some threshold you would have 100 nitwits running in every election.

Forty thousand may be a bit excessive. I think it is seventy thousand in NC. But, if you didn't have some threshold you would have 100 nitwits running in every election.

I believe that is for an independent where both Republican and Democrat already have a million signatures on file for each party. If you can establish that you already have 1,000,000 registered as the Party of the Wookie then you don't need the 70,000. :D

Yeah, it would be a pain if 40 people decided to run for President. How did we ever survive the first 180 years of this nation's history, without these artificial barriers to protect us from that horror?:rolleyes:

It's just an anti-competitive measure from the major parties, to make sure they don't have to beat off pesky challenges to their duopoly. It really has no other purpose. And the heck of it is, even having written the ballot access laws themselves, when the Democrats or Republicans screw up, and forget to send in their $50 fee to qualify their party in a state, it gets waived. Only the third parties are required to actually comply with ballot access laws.

You know, the joke is on the Republicans for cooperating with this kind of measure: I'm betting that when the Democrats get their Presidency and filibuster proof majority, they're going to take the obvious step, and do the same thing to the Republicans that the two of them together did to the other parties: Rewrite the election laws to put them at a permanent disadvantage, and make sure they can never make a comeback.

PT111
don't care to do away with the inalienable right of natural born citizenship. Since the founding of the country those born here are considered ctizens.
Legal or illegal aliens if born in the US or its territories are US citizens. Even visitors.

Alright, I'll do your homework for you.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode08/usc_sec_08_00001401----000-.html
TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER III > Part I > § 1401Prev | Next § 1401 Nationals and citizens of United States at birth
The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:
(a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;
(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe: Provided, That the granting of citizenship under this subsection shall not in any manner impair or otherwise affect the right of such person to tribal or other property;
(c) a person born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents both of whom are citizens of the United States and one of whom has had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions, prior to the birth of such person;
(d) a person born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is a citizen of the United States who has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year prior to the birth of such person, and the other of whom is a national, but not a citizen of the United States;
(e) a person born in an outlying possession of the United States of parents one of whom is a citizen of the United States who has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year at any time prior to the birth of such person;
(f) a person of unknown parentage found in the United States while under the age of five years, until shown, prior to his attaining the age of twenty-one years, not to have been born in the United States;
(g) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years: Provided, That any periods of honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or periods of employment with the United States Government or with an international organization as that term is defined in section 288 of title 22 by such citizen parent, or any periods during which such citizen parent is physically present abroad as the dependent unmarried son or daughter and a member of the household of a person
(A) honorably serving with the Armed Forces of the United States, or
(B) employed by the United States Government or an international organization as defined in section 288 of title 22, may be included in order to satisfy the physical-presence requirement of this paragraph. This proviso shall be applicable to persons born on or after December 24, 1952, to the same extent as if it had become effective in its present form on that date; and
(h) a person born before noon (Eastern Standard Time) May 24, 1934, outside the limits and jurisdiction of the United States of an alien father and a mother who is a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, had resided in the United States.

Note that item (a) comes from the 14th amendment. Without the currently accepted iterpretation of the 14th (Not it's original intent), children born to illegal aliens, or legal aliens for that matter, would not be citizens.

Now as far as the IRS always taxing tips, I'll leave you to document that. However, I doubt that, from its inception, the IRS was taxing tips. Since you made the original statement, and I have already documented the other issue that you brought up, I put the onus of proof onto you.
Good Luck.

It's just an anti-competitive measure from the major parties, to make sure they don't have to beat off pesky challenges to their duopoly.

Yep. If you just had the wherewithal to get on the ballot, I'm sure you would have won the election.

Saying that tips have not always been taxable is like saying that you do not have to pay sales taxes on mail or Internet purchases from out of state. Lots of people got away with it but I know that since 1960 when I first got involved with the IRS tips were taxable but there was not process in place to enforce them. I know some people that were made to pay back taxes on tips from even before then.

Did you know that at one time the top tax rate was over 90%. :D

WildAlaska, I'm afraid that you are much more familiar with these groups than I am. In fact, I have never heard of this group. Heck, I never even heard about Stormfront until you and your associates mentioned them.
I also never said I would support Barr, I voted to "consider" it. That is what someone with an open mind would do when confronted with something that he doesn't know much about.:D
Have a great hate-free day.

In all seriousness, what IS the issue? CCC rings no bells for me when associated with Barr, though I must confess I know little about him. California Cannibis Club (the medical marijuana folks), Concealed Carry on Campus, and Consolidated Cigar Corporation I do know of and a little about--is it something to do with them or otherwise?

While not a supporter of Mr. Barr, I do have reason to believe that some of his stances have honestly changed. He received the endorsement of the Marijuana Policy Project. He could not have done this had he not been able to convince the Project that his stance against the drug war (or at least cannabis) has changed. He stood before the entire Libertarian Party (and the nation via CSPAN) and vowed that he would do everything he could to get the Defense of Marriage Act repealed and to get the Barr Amendment repealed. It does take a lot of humility to get up and admit that he was wrong and to state that he was going to try and get that legislation repealed.

In all seriousness, what IS the issue? CCC rings no bells for me when associated with Barr, though I must confess I know little about him.

Perhaps Google is your friend. Wouldn't you want to know more about him?

WildAlaska, I'm afraid that you are much more familiar with these groups than I am. In fact, I have never heard of this group. Heck, I never even heard about Stormfront until you and your associates mentioned them.

Really?? I guess I will have to search as to whether you have been one of the folks talking about the "uneducated electorate".:D Are you one of the folks who selectively criticize?

Where is Mr. Firemax btw:D

WildheadsinthesandAlaska ™

WildAlaska, in regard to CCC and the supposed connection between the CCC and Bob Barr, I thought you didn't believe in conspiracy theories? Are you saying now that you do? Or, do you only believe in them if they seem to mesh with your take on things such as, certain candidates you dislike.

Regardless, this is a non-issue. Bob Barr repudiated the CCC unequivocably in 1998.

http://www.adl.org/presrele/asus_12/3305_12.asp

Even though your attempt to brand Barr as a racist is based only in conspiracy theory and not in fact, it was a very nice attempt none-the-less. Even the republicans haven't begun their smear tactics against Barr yet. I guess they are waiting until they gather dirt that is at least somewhat based on truth. :)

Regardless, this is a non-issue. Bob Barr repudiated the CCC unequivocably in 1998.

LOL...another I didn't know defense....thats the type of guy we need a President LOL

OK take him at his word....

You believe him? Cool, guess you believe Barack too.....and Louis?

WildjustaslongasyouareconsistentAlaska ™

Back