Biggest Rivalry between Fanboys

Biggest Rivalry in handguns

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK folks, I have noticed these wars crop up here, and want to see which "rivalry" is the biggest.

Glock vs. 1911.

9 vs. .40, vs. 45. AK vs. AR.

Ginger or Marianne

I have noticed, when you might see someone advertising magazines or parts in the sale subforum, and they don't tell you what it's for, it's usually for a 1911 or an AR.

Last edited:
I don't understand the 1911 vs Glock rivalry. They are more alike than any other 2 guns ever made. The Glock is only a slightly more modern version of the same gun.

Glocks are nicknamed "Blocks"
1911's nickname is "Old Slabsides"

Glocks have the same exact 5.5 lb trigger pull for every shot.
1911's have the same exact 5-6 lb trigger pull for every shot.

1911's had arched mainspring housings for most of their military lifetime.
Glocks use virtually the same grip angle as a 1911 with an arched MSH.

Glocks are the toughest, most reliable handgun made in the 2nd half of the 20 century
1911's are the toughest, most reliable handgun made in the 1st half of the 20th century.

No rivalry here. My 2 favorite designs.

I don't understand the 1911 vs Glock rivalry. They are more alike than any other 2 guns ever made.
I prefer the 1911, just because I shoot it better than any other. But, I have two Glocks that I truly love and likely shoot them better than any of my other guns save for the 1911. Personally, I get a kick out of the rivalry, just because I love both and don't really have a dog in the fight. The spitting, fire-breathing animosity these two breed can make for great comic-relief, so I sometimes feel it's my civic duty to stoke the fires.;)

I don't understand the 1911 vs Glock rivalry.

I never knew there was one. Like I said before I see the rivalry as Glock fanboys pinning the Glock against every other gun, and they for some reason can't accept that there are plenty of pistols out there that compete with or even surpass Glock in some aspects. I would say there is more of a rivalry between the 1911 and the Beretta M9 due to the military replacing it.

I'm always fascinated that a single design- the 1911- is compared to an entire company's offerings- Glock, as if on one hand all 1911s are the same regardless of maker, and on the other, that Glock has to beat the 1911 design before it is a good manufacturer. Both ideas are nonsense.

One design vs an entire company...that's like saying that the Mustang is General Motor's rival. Ford is GM's rival; Mustang is a model.

I don't understand the 1911 vs Glock rivalry. They are more alike than any other 2 guns ever made. The Glock is only a slightly more modern version of the same gun.

Glocks are nicknamed "Blocks"
1911's nickname is "Old Slabsides"

Glocks have the same exact 5.5 lb trigger pull for every shot.
1911's have the same exact 5-6 lb trigger pull for every shot.

1911's had arched mainspring housings for most of their military lifetime.
Glocks use virtually the same grip angle as a 1911 with an arched MSH.

Glocks are the toughest, most reliable handgun made in the 2nd half of the 20 century
1911's are the toughest, most reliable handgun made in the 1st half of the 20th century.

No rivalry here. My 2 favorite designs.

I agree with everything you said here. I have a G19 on the way and a 1911 on my wish list. I love how both feel in my hand and they both have triggers I like.

I think the rivalry stems from the similarity in design and purpose.

I'm always fascinated that a single design- the 1911- is compared to an entire company's offerings- Glock, as if on one hand all 1911s are the same regardless of maker, and on the other, that Glock has to beat the 1911 design before it is a good manufacturer. Both ideas are nonsense.

I agree that the rivalry is pretty ridiculous and that guns don't have to be better than each other to be good guns, but I don't really think it is too crazy to compare Glock as a company to 1911s. Glock really only makes one handgun in a bunch of different calibers with slightly different grip and barrel lengths. I don't think that is really too unlike the 1911. There are a lot of different barrel and grip length combinations, and even a few different calibers available for them nowadays.

American made vs Foreign made seems to come up a lot too.

I think Colt fans vs S&W fans is quite possibly the oldest handgun rivalry on the planet.

I dunno, the guys on the black powder forums keep the Colt vs. Remington rivalry alive and well.:D

I agree that the rivalry is pretty ridiculous and that guns don't have to be better than each other to be good guns, but I don't really think it is too crazy to compare Glock as a company to 1911s. Glock really only makes one handgun in a bunch of different calibers with slightly different grip and barrel lengths. I don't think that is really too unlike the 1911. There are a lot of different barrel and grip length combinations, and even a few different calibers available for them nowadays.

:) On the surface, yes. But then when you consider that Glock is perfectly able- and more than willing- to control their production and quality of "Glocks" because that's their company, there is no one company that dictates the quality production and manufacture of "1911s". It may seem like apples to apples, but it's actually apples to orchards when you take a closer look. ;)

On the surface, yes. But then when you consider that Glock is perfectly able- and more than willing- to control their production and quality of "Glocks" because that's their company, there is no one company that dictates the quality production and manufacture of "1911s". It may seem like apples to apples, but it's actually apples to orchards when you take a closer look.

Good point. It would be silly to compare a Glock to a Wilson Combat or something like that. It is hard to compare quality with stuff like that, as you said.

On the other hand, if they are simply comparing platforms, the 1911 is an SAO metal framed hammer fired gun with a manual and grip safety while the Glock is a "safe" action striker fired polymer framed gun with nothing more than a trigger safety.

If that is indeed what people are comparing between the two, I don't think it is too wild to compare the two. As I said, both have a bunch of different size and caliber options which can be compared on a basic level. You are right though, it is impossible to compare quality between the two because so many companies make 1911s.

I would be curious to know if most of the people on the 1911 side of the fence would even find something in the price range of a Glock, like an RIA to still be preferable to it.

I would be curious to know if most of the people on the 1911 side of the fence would even find something in the price range of a Glock, like an RIA to still be preferable to it.

That is a very good question. I feel like "1911 guys" are often comparing a $500 Glock to their $1,100 Colt or whatever. Not fair by a long shot.

$500 1911's are... strange. I spent like a year shopping for one and just gave up. I figured I will wait until I really have the money to put towards it. The one RIA I handled had grips that made a Glock seem like a Kahr.

In the corner on my left is crusty old Jake with a 1911, a Smith and a bronze star.

In the corner on my right is newcomer Sam with an HK, a Glock and a General rank in COD.

I am 26 and have a Glock, a K98, a Ruger and a Mossberg 500, no 1911's or S&W (can't afford them) and I have never played one second of Call of Duty. Took me a good few minutes to figure out what COD stood for actually.

That said, I also never served in the military; but in any case I defy your stereotypes sir.

Took me a good few minutes to figure out what COD stood for actually.

COD back in the dark ages before ENIAC meant Collect on Delivery. Does any service even offer that at this time?

Steel vs Polymer

Pistol vs Revolver accuracy

The 2 sides of 1911.

One side says "Its been around for over 100 years so you know its a proven design.

The other side will say " Its been around for over 100 years so why are there still so many problems with it?" It should be perfect out of the box by now.

Caliber wars

COD back in the dark ages before ENIAC meant Collect on Delivery. Does any service even offer that at this time?

Well, I work in a shipping/receiving environment so I am familiar with that COD. It is a terrible idea; we used to send customers who were on credit hold their shipments as COD's but they always got returned to us and we usually receive an angry call later. Now we just don't ship it.

UPS definitely does it. IDK about FEDEX

Back