Big revolver

The XVR in .460 is your best bet for balancing extreme power with "comfortable" shooting. That's not because you can also shoot .454 or .45 Colt. It's because the ultra-fast .45-caliber bullets are nicely balanced by the weight, porting, and grip of the XVR. All that helps with the .500 but the help doesn't go quite as far...

Ruger makes a fine product. The Redhawk is great in .44 magnum and I commend them for not having an ugly lock hole in the sides of their guns. Smith and Wesson just really knocked it out of the park with the XVR. It's one of the few modern S&W revolvers I could justify owning.

BTW, those X-frame grips will also fit on modern L-frames. They can really make a 686 comfy to shoot.

500.jpg

Go all the way and get the 500S&W. I do agree with everyone that posted the 460XVR would be more versatile but if you are looking to keep it simple. WIth the 460 you will have to reload and have all the components (brass) to go from mild to wild. Separating brass or brass prep is not one of my most favorite things.

With the 500 you will need different powders to go from mild to wild but they come in seperate containers and no sorting necessary. Titegroup, Unique for very tame mild loads and AA#9 or H110 for full loads is all that's needed.

I do feel like a hypocrite because I do load for the 460 and 500:D

Last edited:
ouch

A lot depends upon grip design and fit to hand.

I found a SAA in 44 mag rolls in the hand when fired and has very acceptable felt recoil.

Then again, firing a 220 hard cast bullet from my S&W 57 (41 mag) is a handful.

Specifically directed at this comment:
"Hey don't forget the .454 Casull.....
Do your research. If you like the .44mag,,,think almost double the power,,,, and the .460 is not that much more than the .454......

I can shoot my Taurus Raging Bull with one hand and not worry about recoil. (Ported barrel)
Ive hunted with one for over 4 years and have put a LOT of hogs on the ground. VERY accurate.

Its one of those guns Ill never get rid of.......

Capt Rick.. i too have the Raging Bull 454 Casull.. I've shot it many times... carried it bear hunting and that's what i bought it for..and that's good.. but at it's weight, it's not. I'm thinking an ultralight 44 mag in place of it for that purpose. I know they kick like a mule, but it wouldn't be a "range gun".. Toying w/either the S&W 44 mag Ultralight or the Taurus 44 mag Ultralight.. Any guidance? Decent difference in price considering i'll only haul it around for one month a year.

"Hey don't forget the .454 Casull.....
Do your research. If you like the .44mag,,,think almost double the power,,,, and the .460 is not that much more than the .454......

Just as .454 Casull is a magnum version of the .45 Colt, the .460 is a magnum version of the .454 Casull. The same weight bullets should be traveling hundreds of feet per second faster. For instance, the same 300-grain JFN loaded by Buffalo Bore is listed at 1,650 fps in .454 Casull and 2,060fps in the .460. That's a difference of about a thousand ft/lbs!

Coincidentally, I'd rather shoot .460 in a full-length XVR than .454 in a Redhawk any day. I know it might sound crazy. To be fair, I've never tried a ported or compensated Redhawk and I've only shot .460 out of the XVR. Of course, I have shot .454 out of the XVR and it was nicely tamed.

460 s&w XVR is the way to go, I own one and used to own a 500 s&w with the 6.5 half lug barrel. The 500 was a great gun and fun as hell to shoot. I couldn't justify $3 a round, so I picked up a XVR because the ammo versatility appealed to me. Shooting a .45LC is akin to shooting a .22.

I have a mint S&W 29-10, 4" .44 Mag, pretty hard to beat a 4X4 for compact (relatively speaking), Magnum power. And, yes, I carry it concealed in cold weather. Read to way too many Elmer Keith articles as a kid I guess!

Back