Big revolver

" ..Which big revolver...is most comfortable..."

Its an easy answer...its the heaviest one !
--------------------------------
So pick your caliber...and then pick the heaviest gun you like...( Freedom Arms Single Action revolvers model 83's, 5 shot, can be ordered in a variety of calibers from .357 Mag - .454 Casull - 500 Wyoming Express etc / are some of the heaviest around...) - and they are true pieces of craftmanship ..in my view.

For a range gun, I would say that ANY S&W "N" frame with a barrel of at least 6" would be hard to beat.

Load them up from mild to wild and have a blast at the range. I shoot a 27 and 57 and I am still searching for that elusive model 25 at a reasonable price. One day I'll find it.:)

S&W 28

My first handgun (1977) was a S&W Model 28 N-frame .357 Magnum revolver (no longer made). I guess that S&W figures that the L-frame revolvers took their place.

I would go with a 44 in your choice of guns, I have a super redhawk and it’s nothing to shoot 100 rounds with my reloads ( 21 grains of 2400 under a 240 grain bullet ) . 44 projectiles brass etc. are probably the cheapest and easiest to find plus there’s lots of choices.

44mag definitely has a wide array of choices for components and usually very available and generally quite economical. I reload my ammo, and if I recall, I can make 44mags the equivalent of the "critical defense" type factory stuff for under $0.30 per round compared to the factory stuff that's north of $1 per round. It's a fantastic cartridge, I really enjoy both of my S&W 44mags.

Unfortunately they're only available in .357 mag, but Rhinos are VERY comfortable to shoot. The barrel placement means they have no muzzle flip. It pushes straight back into your hand. I found the wood grips to be very comfortable.
Rhino-6_zps32q38zsq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• Rhino-6.jpg
    Rhino-6.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
See if you can find a Dan Wesson .445 Supermag. It was claimed to be 25-35% more powerful than .44 magnum. You can also fire .44 Specials and .44 Magnums through it.

Every Dan Wesson revolver I've fired has been very accurate. I still have a blue 6" model 15VR that is one of the most accurate handguns that I own, noticeably more accurate than my S&W 686 and 66, neither of which is a slouch.

You reload so ammo will be less costly than factory rounds but there is always a lower limit on a given cartridge. I would choose the 454 C and that would allow me to shoot 45 colt mouse loads all the way up to full power 454. The Super Redhawk is a great gun and you can have a lot of fun shooting targets or plinking with it out in the country. If you get the Super Redhawk the other pistols you have are going to get lonely.

Well if you want to forego the huge frame idea and come back to earth with a reasonable frame revolver you could go the Dan Wesson route and bulk up your purchase by getting one of the Dan Wesson Pistol Packs where you get the grips, the barrels and a cool case to hold 'em. Plus like damienph stated above the Dan Wesson revolvers were noted for their accuracy.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...rE0Gs#imgrc=pDuS0efXTjGeDM:&spf=1508279192695

If you want the big frame then the BFR could be your choice if you like single action.

If double action is your choice then to heck with being reasonable and get one of the crew-served S&W X-frame guns...I'm particularly enamored of the .460 for its ability to shoot .45 Colt, .454 Casull and, of course, the S&W .460 Magnum.

If you are really wanting a big one there is the Magnum Research BFR in 45-70.

I know a person that has one, I have held it, but I have not shot it or witnessed it being shot.

I have a lot of revolvers. My very favorite is my 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum. For me the recoil is less than that of a similar double-action revolver. It is smooth and accurate. I can shoot anything from mild 44 specials to crazy 44 magnum loads. And if you want big, it is a very large piece of steel.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. At this point I am leaning towards the S&W 460 for the shear versatility.

Versatility is why I bought my 460 XVR. It's a really great shooting revolver and strong as all get out. Nice green fiber optic front sight and comes with a spare brass dot front sight if you like that better, I never thought of changing the Hi-Viz front sight, it's great.

45 Cowboy, 45 Schofield (depending on the brass), 45 Colt, 45 Colt RUGER ONLY loads, 454 Casull, 460 MAGNUM.

Not too many guns have such a wide range of different power levels to choose from. Some people will say why shoot the light loads but I say because you can.

460 is easy as cake to reload for and once you have the brass it's very inexpensive as well with a huge pool of different bullets that will meet any need you might have.

Love the 460, no regrets AT ALL. I have the XVR, but I wouldn't scoff at the BFR in 460 either.

Those of you with the S&W .460...what barrel length do you have/recommend?

I suspect if you want to get the most out of the cartridge you really should get the 8 3/8 inch barrel but the 5 inch barrel looks like it would handle a lot better. Opinions?

Disclaimer: I do make fun of the crew-served X-frame revolvers but that's just for fun. An S&W .460 is somewhere on my bucket list.

Those of you with the S&W .460...what barrel length do you have/recommend?

I suspect if you want to get the most out of the cartridge you really should get the 8 3/8 inch barrel but the 5 inch barrel looks like it would handle a lot better. Opinions?

Disclaimer: I do make fun of the crew-served X-frame revolvers but that's just for fun. An S&W .460 is somewhere on my bucket list.
Don't have a .460, but have been heavily thinking about getting one and have been doing research.

To give you my two cent piece on your question, I would say it greatly depends on what the intended use is. If it's a hunting revolver, 8 inch minimum. If it's big, dangerous game defense, I think the 5 inch is acceptable, but the 8 inch still better.

If the desire is to just have a .460 and never really shoot .460 from it, then a 5 inch is just fine. It would handle better and if loaded with some strong .45 Colt it'd be one heck of a home defense gun with little recoil.

I view the .460 as a modern .45-70 and think it is best in a 16 inch rifle. S&W makes 10 and 12 inch .460 revolvers and at that point I just say, "May as well buy a rifle instead." Probably would be half the price too.

I have the 5" bbl 460V. I carry it in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig. Carries very nice in that.

My primary loading is a 240gr XTP Mag sitting atop a very near max load of H110. I had to back off from the published max just a little bit as I was getting sticky extraction.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I did some practicing with my 460 and those rounds. I was able to make about a 6" groups at 50 yards. I am using open sights, no scope or red dot here, just changed over to Meprolight 3-dot night sights. Those loads were running 1700fps through the chrono. Books say that load should be closer to 2000fps from the XVR with the 8-3/8"bbl. Obviously, my 460 is not getting the full potential of the cartridge with the shorter bbl, but it's still plenty enough of a hard hitter for what I do. I will say that with a revolver of this size, a good chest rig is by far the best way to carry it, even with the shorter 5" bbl like I have. It still has plenty of heft to it.

All in all, I really like mine. Kinda itching to add the XVR at some point though.

Here it is, and yes I fire it with those Altamont rosewoods on it too. It's not that bad, the biggest thing you get is that concussive slap to the face when the hammer falls.

spawndn72 said:
... which big revolver with a big cartridge is the most comfortable to shoot. I know this is subjective, but I still want to hear your thoughts. I reload so I can load as mild or hot as I want.
Any of them. You can load a .500 mag with Unique and a cast bullet, and it's like shooting a .38 Special. A .480 Ruger with factory rounds is rather gentle, but can be loaded up to match .475 Linebaugh loads, if you're brave enough.

Back