Bi-Polar ? Shoot/Don't shoot

I really don't see how there is any debate in this scenario. If a guy is coming at me with a cleaver, I'm going to shoot him until he hits the ground. What do I care whether or not he's a "real" killer or just someone who is sick and forgot to take his meds. He is still dangerous and can kill and is coming at me so I'm going to kill him first in that situation. I have a friend who is bi-polar, he does some messed up stuff when he doesn't take his meds, and I kick his butt when that happens. He has a responsibility to take his meds and when he doesn't and gets locked up, I don't feel sorry for him. We've been through this before and he knows what happens and what the consequences are.

Personally, If I were threatned, I would have to shoot. If I am killed by a mentally disturbed person or a healthy person, I am still dead.

Adam

In my assessment, there are several issues that arise in this situation, and in discussion about such an incident.

There are some people, and I dare say some members here, that may think:
"Oh well, he/she's a nutcase (translation: subhuman) and it's really not a big deal if his/her life is taken. Heck, probably doing society a favor, right?"

There are others, some TFLer's included, that believe:
"He/she is not thinking right, and therefore is in less control of their physical actions, and it would be a moral crime (even if a legal shooting) to kill that person"

There are also many that believe that regardless of the motive or thinking, if a threat is able to & appears to be intent upon killing or maiming you, and is in the process right this instant, then shooting is justified. End of story.

Some may waver back and forth.

Personally, I would like to see more replies to this thread include something along these lines:
"Well, he came running out of the store with a cleaver, he looked at me and at the instant he started in my direction I stepped behind the cell-phone kiosk and bolted down the stairs."

Okay, I took some liberty in adding the kiosk & stairs to the scenario; but I think some may understand my point.

Which is...
In ANY emergency situation the responders need to make a rapid assessment of the entire scene. What are the dangers, and what are the OPTIONS?

Before any of us begin shooting, we MUST determine if there is the availability of COVER, CONCEALMENT, or ESCAPE.
The availability is determined by distance and time.

Yes, I know all about the 21 feet rule and how an attacker with an edged weapon (or heck, even strong hands) can make contact in under two seconds. Many people seem to think that if the distance is under or around 21 feet that all option of escape is impossible.
OH REALLY?
So, nobody has ever had a brother or cousin or friend come flying at you from 21 feet and NOT been able to get away in time?
Happens all the time playing tag, or just screwing around or heck, even in football.
7 yards is not the same as the goal line.

Sure, there may be cases with a person with a cleaver in close proximity in which shooting BECOMES the only option.
But to just think: "Oh! Knife! Over There! Bang!Bang!Bang!" is simplifying the matter entirely too much.

Of the criteria laid out in my permit class, the thing that stands out strongly in my mind is that if you can possibly get away, YOU MUST.

Permits do not license us to protect and serve the public. They are only permits to carry firearms in public. Read the fine print in the carry laws, it doesn't say "permit to protect myself and family by shooting at, possibly killing, another person." It is a permit to carry, ONLY.
The laws regarding use of deadly force really don't even have anything to do with carrying a handgun.

Where is this babbling going?
If I can get away (and let's assume that my mom or brother or wife are nowhere around) then that is my legal obligation.
Some people are going to counter and say, "but then instead of me stopping him he might go after some other person!".
Well, them's the breaks. Every other person around is also solely responsible for their own safety. (LEO's excluded, as well as a few others.)
I cannot decide what is best for anybody else.
Or what is in their best interests.

In my example, as I dart down the stairs that might be all the diversion that is needed for the guy at the golf club kiosk to bash the assailant over the head with a Big Bertha driver.

Your individual action, shooting or running, is only one person's action. You cannot foresee other people's actions or read their thoughts so clearly that you can be sure that you are the only planning some action to end this attack.

If you can get away, get away. If you can't, and the attacker with deadly means is appearing to use those means on you (or a loved one), then you may shoot.

Whether it is mental illness, drug use, a head injury, or evil that is the root of the attack, none of that matters.
Reasoning with the individual isn't going to work at that moment.

Let's even go further.
There are lot's of people that aren't even evil that commit crimes that may be justifiably met with deadly force.
Here's a hypothetical. Bob lost his job at the plant after 42 years on the line. His daughter was hit by a drunk driver and needs very expensive rehab and medications. Bob's wife just died of cancer. The bank manager stopped by and said that since the letter's weren't being answered, he thought he'd stop out and deliver the foreclosure letters personally.
Bob's friend is an armored car driver, and Bob knows the route.
Bob's friend is in his 60's and with his arthritis he can barely hold a gun, much less shoot someone. But, he's the uncle of the owner of the armored car company so he still has a job.
He doesn't want to hurt anyone, but he just doesn't see his way out.
He figures he can ambush his friend with a BB gun ("just so nobody really get's hurt") and take the money and if his friend recognizes him through the disguse he can talk him into letting him run off with the money and the friend can just say a gang jumped him and he never saw their faces.
So, Bob has a plan.
But you know what they say about plans....
Bob's friend happens to call in sick on the day Bob planned the robbery.
Jim is filling in.
Jim stops at the first drop and as he gets out of the cab he is faced with a man pulling a black pistol from his pocket.
Jim shoots alot of IPSC and IDPA and as luck would have it, he draws first and shoots Bob dead in the throat.

Was Bob evil?
I think most would say not evil, but clearly irrational due to the cumulative stress.
If I was Jim, would I have shot?
Absolutely.
A man is a car length away and I'm backed against the cab. He is drawing a gun. My training and mental banks are telling me that I am in mortal danger.
I will then do everything and anything in my power to stop the threat. If I am to live, I must stop the threat since I cannot get away from the threat.

So, if you can, get away! You must! It is your obligation to yourself (do you really want a killing in your mind every day for life?), to your family (nobody ever looks the same at someone that they know has killed) and to society (you can't just kill people if it's not the last resort).

Maybe I'll get flamed for all of this, but whatever.
I do believe that the vast majority of permit-holders and members of TFL whole-heartedly believe that deadly force is the last resort, and many may feel that that was implied in their replies, but it would be nice to see it laid out in print a bit more.
(If only for the benefit of those readers that are not as informed on this subject as others. Or casual web-surfers just being introduced to guns and self-protection.)

With respect, -Kframe

(ps: I've just finished my 12-hour night shift at work, so if there are errors in syntax or punctuation, I blame it all on my exhaustion, rather than simply being a mediocre writer. ;) )

KFrame, I must disagree.

1. Perhaps I coult turn and run to safety without being caught. You are coorect, playing around we can escape people from 21 feet. To do so though I have to turn my back and run. I relinquish all control of the situation to my ability to sprint better than someone who already has a head start. Playing around with friends or playing football is not the same as trying to evade a meat cleaver. With friends it is either "Tag" or one down. The many times you fail to evade really doesn't matter. With a cleaver you are dead.

2. You should try to get away unless that puts you at greater danger. Turning your back on a charging wacko with a cleaver in my opinion increases the danger.

3. Too Each His Own. I am not legally responsible for another's safety (outside of my immediate family). I would not put myself into anothers altercation without a high level of certainty of who is who. A nut job loose in a shopping mall with a bloody cleaver who others are calling insane is as close to certainty as you get. You are almost always legally allowed to defed the lives of others. While I could see myself not involving myself in many altercations I would not stand back and allow him to hack other people to bits. My child, or grandmothert could easily be one of those people who you suggest should fend for themselves.

I think a missing component of many of the replies in this thread is proper escalation of force.
You only use the minimum amount of force necessary to bring the situation to a halt....that could be positioning yourself so that there are obstacles between you and said deranged man, and that could also mean that by the time you react the only option is a quick double-tap. But you could also put one in the leg or the shoulder first...if that doesn't work, then there's only one other option...but I don't believe in this situation that it should be your first choice to plug the guy.

Remember, the goal is not to kill the guy who has sqared off with you...it's to keep you, the people with you, and the people around you - safe.
Now...what that means to any particular person at any particular moment is subject to change :)

As always, situation dictates...but I still think far too many people don't think about proper escalation of force.

Oh Sir William!

Please come up with a better hypothetical.

Yeah, I know "bipolar" people.

Your choices:

1. die or get injured - your choice;
2. get injured or die - your choice.
3. go off into a discussion of safely disarming the poor guy, gently restraining him, suing the doctor for letting the poor guy go off his meds.

By the way, Sir William, congrats on not being shot or mugged. However, I don't go out for walks at 1 am. Never.

pickpocket, good intentions with the leg or shoulder shot, not a good plan.

If you are enough danger that you need to use your gun, then shoot to stop the threat. Hitting a leg in a way that will disable an attacker is trying to hit a much smaller and more rapidly moving target (think bones). Hard to do under the best conditions, and more difficult under stress. Even if you shoot out his femur, there is no guarntee of him stopping. There is also the chance of hitting any of the large veins or arteries in the leg, causing death anyway.

If you are going to shoot, go for the biggest, easiest target to stop the threat, COM. If you are concerned about killing the guy, just remember:

1) most people survive gunshot wounds
2) he started it, your need to survive comes before any attacker's future

Last edited:
good intentions with the leg or shoulder shot, not a good plan

You're right, it's not what I would do... but if you're worried about killing the guy for whatever reason, it's an option.

My point was proper use of escalation of force...he may decide that you're not so tasty after all once you draw down on him. I was taught not to point the damn thing unless you intend to drop someone with it...but I also know that everyone's skill level is different, and people make different decisions...and they may not decide what they thought they would when the time comes to pull the trigger.

You're right, it's not what I would do... but if you're worried about killing the guy for whatever reason, it's an option.

No it is not an option. If you shoot you are using deadly force. No ifs ands or buts about it.

If you shoot him in the shoulder or leg because you wanted to stop him without ricking killing him one of two things will happen.

1. He Lives. You will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon and any other gun crime they can throw at you.

2. He Dies, ENTIRELY LIKELY. You will be charged with murder or mandlaughter.

In either case you will be convicted. You used deadly force on a person you obviously did not believe warrented deadly force.

Go to Amazon.com and get In The Gravest Extreme or almost any other well regarded book on the subject to learn a lot more regarding the moral and legal burdens of CCW.

Get Training. The "shoot to wound" myth is the first thing they will crush as soon as basic safety ruiles are established.

That’s the same question I’ve dealt with several times since I have been working in a prison that has a mental health unit. I should understand that the inmate is acting out of his mental illness. And believe me that is something painted with a broad brush in my institution, but that’s another subject.
The fact is, a threat is a threat and it must be neutralized without consideration of the mental status of the individual. The mental issues are to be dealt with at a later time, in a controlled setting.
Remember the 21ft rule, the perp is as lethal at that range with his knife as you are with your handgun. As you draw your weapon you are shouting "STOP< STOP <STOP!!!" When he closes inside the 21 foot it becomes TAC TAC. As he charges you step back carefully and try to place something between you and him. If he gets into your personal space, 3ft or so, the weapon goes tight to your hip and the off arm is used to guard. If the weapon goes dry simply drop it and go to UASD techniques. (By the way, any firearms self defense training that does not include tactical withdraw and UASD is fundamentally flawed, unless you are physically incapable of using it.)
Why TAC TAC, allows time for threat evaluation, a brief break in the cadence looks good in court.
Withdraw shows the desire to avoid lethal force, as does a verbal command.
I over answered this one

Go to Amazon.com and get In The Gravest Extreme or almost any other well regarded book on the subject to learn a lot more regarding the moral and legal burdens of CCW.

Get Training. The "shoot to wound" myth is the first thing they will crush as soon as basic safety ruiles are established

*sigh*

You guys SO tend to focus on one sentence and not the overall message.

If you've had "training" then you know what escalation of force is, do you not?....well that was my whole point.
I think both of your examples are flawed... You give me two possible outcomes...
If he lives, the shooter gets charged with numerous 'gun crimes'...
If he dies, the shooter gets charged with murder, manslaughter...

Is this what your book on the "moral and legal burdens of CCW" taught you? I mean, if those are the only two outcomes, what's the point?

You probably shouldn't assume people aren't trained. The only safe assumption you can make is that someone isn't trained in the same manner that you were.

I'll tell you this: given the hypothetical - because that's the construct that this situation took place in - I may have decided to shoot the guy in the leg. Would I be wrong to choose such? Who can really say.... but I can tell you that I would be alive and most likely, so would he. Femoral artery...whatever...you can what-if this to death. Chances of his survival are much better than if I put two in his chest.

What YOU should consider is that some people were trained a bit differently...if I make the decision to kill someone they're going to catch two in the chest and one in the head. THAT's what no if's-and's-or-buts about deadly force means to me. And I imagine I'd have a bit of a hard time with that one in court. I'd rather risk the guy living and having to defend myself in civil litigation (because let's be honest, that's really where it's going to end up if it's a good shoot) than to have to face his wife and kids. It doesn't matter how bad he was...killing someone is the easy part.

It's easy to armchair it and say that you'd unequivocally and without thought kill the guy. I wonder how many of you are already carrying around memories of people you've shot.

Quote; It's easy to armchair it and say that you'd unequivocally and without thought kill the guy. I wonder how many of you are already carrying around memories of people you've shot.
Actually, pickpocket, I have been in a shooting situation in which I have been fired on. It was a pants pissing experience, and no I didn't walk away all tough or feeling powerful. I killed the guy and if I could change that event in my life I would, but I can't. What I have done is prepare myself in case of a need to do it again. I practice what I speak constantly and still have that event in my mind, though it no longer distresses me. I've prepared mentally and legally by training and studying.
As a corrections officer situational awareness is not a problem, it’s a life habit. Being alert is one thing, having action ingrained is another. That requires training and mental preparation. Unlike many others, I stress train. I raise my heart rate to 160 and then shoot combat drills using all the techniques I list. I do this weekly in the winter and 3 times a week in the warmer months. It's both fun and serious. Yes, I go to shoot just for kicks but that’s normally with a rifle.
I don't believe that just packing a piece and shooting on a firing line prepares anyone for a life or death situation. To allow training to end at the basic level is irresponsible in my view. Training with firearms is not really different in philosophy than training in martial arts. Practice and repetition are the keys.
As far as two in the chest and one in the head goes, if I was on your jury I'd acquit you, but look who gets put on juries.

son of bi polar

As the son of a bi polar man, I would say shoot. There is no reasoning with a bi polar when they are off meds. Hair trigger temper, and it's thier way or no way. the last time my Dad was off meds, he was caught trying to start a fire. the police wrestled him down and Baker Acted him. to this day he won't admit to being wrong, but claims the cops broke his nose (they didn't).

Well thanks :)
I wasn't trying to insult anyone, nor was I targeting anyone with that statement, I was just trying to point out that killing the guy is the easy part, and I don't think some people fully understand what that means.

All I was trying to say is that to me, there's no 100% right answer 100% of the time. You have to make a decision in about 3 nanoseconds that is going to unalterably change people's lives....yours, the guy who gets shot, your family's, his family's...so all I'm saying is that there are more factors involved than "Have weapon, must kill".

I've been in similar situations, and I don't think anyone walks away feeling tough and powerful. Most of us walk away with a renewed respect for random chance and a newfound view on life. But I don't let those deaths bother me.. In fact, I don't regret any of them. But you have a split-second to commit to action...you have a lifetime to second-guess yourself. Better to make sure you've done all you can to do what's right for your particular situation...and the situation doesn't end with the death of the guy you shoot.

springmom:

That said, I am APPALLED at the suggestions on this forum that individuals should be FORCED BY LAW to take medication. Not kidding. Do we or do we not stand for individual liberty as gun owners? Since when do we want to give the government the right to force psychotropic medications into ANYBODY??? If an individual is so deranged as to be an IMMEDIATE danger (suicidal or homicidal) then that is the exception, but to require someone to take a medication that may have horrible side effects (and the medications for bipolar and its frequently-associated cousins do indeed have awful side effects in some individuals) is NOT what this country is about.

I'm all for liberty and freedom, but I can't completely agree with that statement Springmom. If a person is mentally handicapped, and prone to violent behavior, you HAVE to do something to curb that behavior, both for themselves and those around them. If they are not competent enough NOT to injure people without meds, they need to be made to take meds, or be locked up where theycan do no harm to themselves or others. It sad they are disturbed, but some type of control must be established.....

Springmom:
If an individual is so deranged as to be an IMMEDIATE danger (suicidal or homicidal) then that is the exception

Derius_T:
If a person is mentally handicapped, and prone to violent behavior, you HAVE to do something to curb that behavior, both for themselves and those around them

That's what she said.

Garryc:
I find some humor in your story in that you thought the first shots ever fired at you were firecrackers....
My first engagement ever started off with a pair of RPG's. The first one got sent at us down the long axis of a street, from about 100m. I heard it...but thought it was one of those little spinner firecrackers that make that high-pitched whirrring sound.
So....being the silly American...I take a couple of steps into the street to see what group of kids is setting off fireworks in celebration of Ramadan and missed collecting my express delivery by about 3-5 ft. One of my guys said it sailed right over my head... sometimes you can only laugh :)

No, my friend...yours was about as clean as a shoot can get.

Pickpocket
Then there was the time I got chased through the streets of Subic Bay in the Philippines by two Filipino MP's yet another story

Back