Better shot than law enforcement?

SWMIKE: Sorry to say that I must agree with you as to the disparity of attitude seen in the ranks of most modern departments. Where I sort of disagree with you is that I would argue it is not necessarily a budgetary problem. Even with the money crunch, much can still be accomplished.

Where the problem exists, IMHO, is in the mid level command structure ( Sgt. FTO's Range officers, etc.). In the departments zeal to free up money, they made a conscious (sp) decision to release or early out many senior officers to free up money for more warm bodies. When they got these bodies, there was no one left to impart the needed education on the street. Not much later these became the mid level management. Hence, you have a situation where the uneducated are teaching the uninitiated. I know that this is an over simplification and not true in every case, but when you talk to young offciers andSgt. with three to four years in or, better yet, read their training schedules and their roll call instructions, it is realll inciteful.

A young officer, regardless of sex, can not be expected to perform better than the examples presented to them by their more experienced peers. This is, I think, the root problem that rears its ugly head when officers do not take pride in mastering the basic skill demanded of them. ie. shooting.

As to the department dead heads; every department has them and they are the bane of our existance. There is no known solution short of culling them during probation. Once on the job they are like pilot fish sucking the blood out of a living organism. Much contempt, but no solution.

There. That's the sermon. I freely agree that there are degrees of skills in regard to firearms across the board, both civilian and law enforcement. The obvious has been stated. Extreme efficiency is to be desired, but not expected, of all practioners. So get to the range whenever you can and practice those skills you find necessary, but don't assume that your accessment of "necessary" is mine. :rolleyes:

Doesn't that bother the fellow church members? What does the Minister have to say? Break any of those stained glass windows?

Well since I'm the music minister and he's the church handman we usually shoot after hours and he fixes all the windows and drywall etc... Hey that was good. I love a good sense of humor. :D

Our pastor obviously can't make the Sunday, after church shoots. But lookout on Monday! He can bless you, praise the Lord, and beat the pants off of most of the shooters that might be at the range. :D

It's honestly tough to make abject judgements about how good somebody is by watching the black on their target. All of us have had lousy days on the range, and if you are going to train to a new skill or technique or fix a specific bad habit, one would expect to be all over the page at first. Good, reliable, well-trained peace officers have to use LOTS of tools and abilities to get the job done, argueably that pistol might be the least often used one. I shoot next to cops (on the pistol range that is) once in a while and sometimes they shoot great, sometimes I'm a little better, but when the chips are down lawmen have to do a lot more than just hit where they are aiming; they have to reason and think, which is a good deal harder to do and to train for.

Back