best pocket pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lee,

No. I don't carry because I live in a very safe location. But if I thought that I might need to carry a gun, it would be one suitable for saving my life. If for some reason I had to go into LA, I'd take my P-229.

Bad guys, especially if they're under the influence of drugs, can take a lot of damage and continue to inflict damage.

At very close range, without decommissioning a bad guy's CNS, the probability of a good guy taking rounds is very high.

For me and for me only, I'd consider the .38 Special +P to be minimum for saving my life. The optimum is the 1911A1 in .45 ACP.

Another very important consideration: bad guys rarely do bad things alone. Therefore, you might have to engage multiple bad guys, which makes a poor choice of defensive handgun a really bad choice.

This might be of help: a very good quality holster on a very good quality belt makes carrying evening a full-size 1911A1 very easy.

What many people fail to consider is that bad guys do train. They train to take guns away from uniformed cops. Therefore, if you're going to carry a handgun, you're going to want to assure that bad guys don't see it lest one tries to take it from you.

I have found the SCCY CPX-2 to be a good compromise of small and light weight with high capacity and 9mm power. It is one of the smallest and lightest 9mm handguns (5.6" x 4.0", 15 oz), yet holds 10 + 1 rounds, can handle +P ammo, and fits all fingers on the grip. Mine slips into most pockets, especially coats and loose pants, although a holster is safer.

The CPX-2 has no manual safety, is very well built in the USA, and costs only $265 with two magazines. Some complain about the long DAO trigger, but it is only 9 lbs and smooth as butter, exactly what I want for a self defense carry gun. This is not a range gun - it's for up close and personal defense.

Hi Lee,

No. I don't carry because I live in a very safe location. But if I thought that I might need to carry a gun, it would be one suitable for saving my life. If for some reason I had to go into LA, I'd take my P-229.

Bad guys, especially if they're under the influence of drugs, can take a lot of damage and continue to inflict damage.

At very close range, without decommissioning a bad guy's CNS, the probability of a good guy taking rounds is very high.

For me and for me only, I'd consider the .38 Special +P to be minimum for saving my life. The optimum is the 1911A1 in .45 ACP.

Another very important consideration: bad guys rarely do bad things alone. Therefore, you might have to engage multiple bad guys, which makes a poor choice of defensive handgun a really bad choice.

This might be of help: a very good quality holster on a very good quality belt makes carrying evening a full-size 1911A1 very easy.

What many people fail to consider is that bad guys do train. They train to take guns away from uniformed cops. Therefore, if you're going to carry a handgun, you're going to want to assure that bad guys don't see it lest one tries to take it from you.

It's always interesting to hear peoples different perspectives, thanks for sharing.

I would think that even in a "safe" neighborhood it is better to carry than not, for the simple reason (as you stated), there are bad guys out there, and you can't control whether they venture into a safe neighborhood or not.

I'm looking forwards to purchasing a 1911 (hopefully over this summer) and I would definitely consider carrying it on my days off. My work uniform would make it very difficult to conceal, so I'll stick to my PPS most likely.

Back to topic, my PPS doesn't really fit conveniently in a pocket but I usually have it with me so I don't have a pocket pistol (well, I've got a .22 derringer but that's super impractical for CC).
I want to get a few more small pistols but it's pretty low on my priorities. First I'll get a full size gun.

Last edited:
I'm all about the mouse guns and feel everyone should have one good reliable mouse gun for special occasions when regular carry is difficult or impossible. I like the size and shape of the little Seecamp .32 but I'm a revolver guy and the NAA Black Widow checks all the boxes for me. It is well built, reliable, accurate, and conceals easily. My wife carries the even smaller NAA Pug.

As for pocket guns... "what would be your recommendations in .32 acp, in .380 and in 9mm "

I would probably skip the .32, even though I find the Beretta Tomcat to be a cute little bugger. My wife has her grandfather's 1950s vintage Beretta in .25ACP, and I can put all the rounds through the head of a silhouette ... but I don't trust the damn thing to save my life.

A .380: my pick would be the Smith and Wesson M&P Bodyguard. The Sig P238 is great, but I can buy two Bodyguards for the price of the Sig and have money left for ammo and range time. Yes, the Sig has better sights, but we're talking about a pocket gun, not a target pistol. I've also shot the Ruger LCP (Little Crappy Pistol); the trigger is bad, and the sights are worse.

9 mm: I have a Sig P938 and I love it. I'm not sure that it's a "pocket gun". It's heavier than my Bodyguard. It's thicker.

compact pistols

Instead of saying all small pistols you have tried were garbage, why not give actual examples of small pistols you have tried ? sometimes range guns are poor examples of any particular model due to the abuse they get.

I had a Colt Mustang .380 acp, I bought it new, and it was a great pistol.

Bad or damaged magazines cause problems.

BTW; paranoia is an irrational fear; I don't carry because of fear, I carry a gun for the same reason I have a fire extinguisher, tools, can food, spare tire in my cars trunk,
Paranoia is thinking the Mail carrier is a crazy nutter or that normal people are trying to kill you.
I believe most people are good, but no matter where you live, you may run into someone running from the law, looking for easy pickings, criminals often talk about "Going to Mayberry" a place with low crime to rob unarmed unsuspecting people.

Last edited:
268187e78f073a555ee06a7424725793.jpg

This Tomcat is in my jeans pocket today. I'm 6' 200lbs with normal pockets.

That extended mag I made myself out of a Tomcat mag and a Bersa DLX mag. 9+1 of .32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back