best pocket pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Keltec P32, P3AT, PF9. are very good I also carry Colt Mustang or my orginal Pocket carry A 1984 Interarms 380 PPK/s .That has Never failed me in a lot of years Revolver's a S&W 36 or a 49 I for got about the little guys A Beretta 950 and a Beretta model 20 both in 25 acp

I've got a Keltec P3AT that is my pocket gun. It and it's holster disapear in there. I've shot it over 500 times with various ammo. Zero malfunctions.

It is painfull to shoot, but it works perfectly. Had a Bodyguard. It looked nice, but it was unreliable junk.

i recently compared pt22, pt25, guardian 32. i cannot rack the slide on both taurii. yes, i know they a use tip up barrel to load, but a second magazine reload is impossible without being able to rack the slide, requiring i carry a loose round. so the taurii are a no-go, even though they were reliable shooters. i ran some cowboy loads through a 38 spec s&w alloy snubbie, 20 rounds were barely tolerable and no fun. the naa guardian 32 was excellent in all regards, 100 range rounds wasnt bad at all. the guardian is a rock solid keeper.

Last edited:
The Guardian .32 is a good little gun. It's very heavy and it kicks pretty hard.
The Keltec P32 is much lighter and thinner- and it recoils much less. It's cheaper, too.

For true pocket carry I started with 3PAT from KelTec, but I couldn't get it to run. I then decided I wanted the juice of a 9mm to complement my normal side carry G19. After all searching I settled on the Kahr CM9.

I disagree that it is too big for the pocket. I often have it in my back pocket in a pair of jeans and it looks like a wallet or phone. I work outside with it all day like that. I also will throw it in the front for a quick trip to the store or whatever. A little tight for jeans, but works fine in cargo's or whatever. It also has the best DAO trigger out there for me. Definitely smaller than my old Taurus 85 snubbie.

I really need to buy much bigger pants so I can pocket carry what others do. when I put a J frame in my pocket the back of the grip shows because the pocket is agape at the top. a G26 even with the thinnest of holsters looks like a Gideon bible in my pocket.

I really need to buy much bigger pants so I can pocket carry what others do.
Naw, you just need a bigger pocket, thats not attached to your pants. ;)

A Smart Carry lets you carry a more realistic gun, and it usually doesnt matter what you wear. Doesnt take up valuable pocket space in your pants either. :)

When we had our Back-Up Gun match last Summer, more than half the 50-60 competitors were shooting the S&W M&P Shield.
I don't how big your pockets are.
The only modern compact pistol with which I have any experience is the SIG P238, and I like that gun a lot. I prefer single action triggers and manual safeties to anything striker-fired or DA.

In that category I own a SIG P290RS, Kel Tec Pf-9 and a Ruger LCP, and I used to own an NAA Guardian .32ACP. I have shot a Kahr PM9 and MK9 extensively (they were owned by one of my closest friends), I rented a Kel Tec P-11 many times, and I've shot a Kel Tec P-32 on a few occasions.

I love my SIG P290. It is heavier than many of the other guns in this category, but that contributes to its feeling and shooting like many guns significantly larger. I can comfortably shoot this gun all afternoon, and it is easy to shoot it accurately. Mine has been reliable, and I do trust my life to it. It is a bit heavy for pocket use, but with the right pants and right holster it is doable, and I love it IWB. The Kahr MK9 is a little smaller but heavier, but I went with the less expensive P290 when buying for myself.

For a true pocket gun, usable in most pockets, I'd go with the Kahr PM9 if money was no object, but they've become expensive and for most of us, money matters. I liked the trigger of my Kel Tec Pf-9 better than the CM9 I tried while shopping that category, and I went that way. The Pf-9 is reasonably accurate, and after some break-in issues, it has been reliable. However, it is no fun to shoot (I put it up there with steel framed .357mag small framed snubs for how painful/unpleasant to shoot it is). It is also a tad big compared to some of the competition, though at under 13oz it makes a great pocket gun. If I was to do it over, I'd probably get the Kel-tec P-11, Kahr CM9 or Ruger LC9, and I'd strongly consider the Taurus 709, but for now I'm keeping the Pf-9 (and may until/unless I'm ready to buy a PM9).

As for the LCP, it is reliable, but the sights are tough to use. I wish I bought it with a laser sight. That said, I think some of the small 9mms work as pocket guns well enough that I can't really think of many circumstances where they wouldn't work yet I could carry the LCP. I will probably sell it, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do so yet (once you have something that small, it is hard to give it up). My suggestion would be to buy one of the small 9mms first, and only if you find they are too big to go to the small .380s.

I never really liked my NAA Guardian. My biggest issue was that I could never trust the caliber. In fact, if anyone near Baltimore has a .32ACP, I may have a few boxes of ammo left that I'd love to trade on .38spl or 9mm. If I did want a small .32, I'd probably go with the Kel Tec P-32, I actually enjoyed that gun and may someday buy one just for fun. The P-32 is smaller than most .22lr and .25ACP pistols, very few guns are lighter or smaller.

So, bottom line, if money is no object I think the Kahr PM9 is the best choice in small pocket/pocketable guns, with the SIG P290RS taking a close second choice and first choice for those of us on a budget.

1) For .32 - I had and sold a W.German made PPK/S (what was I thinking?). It felt absolutely perfect in a pocket. Utterly reliable and a pleasure to shoot. Not strictly drop safe however.

2) For .380 - Ruger LCP. Takes practice to get the feel for it, but once you do, it's a great shooter and reliable.

3) For 9 mm - Sig P290RS; 2nd choice would be a Walther PPS.

My main EDC is a Beretta Pico (.380). I prefer hammer-fired DAO. Once broken in (about 200 rounds of SD ammo) it has worked flawlessly at the range. Great sights too. My other favorite .380 carry has been the Colt Pony (I have replaced the sights with night sights). Can shoot them all day at the range without problems.

.380s I've sold off: Diamondback, Rohrbaugh (pain to disassemble and reassemble), AMT Backup, Colt Mustang not Pocketlite.

I have had, and sold off Seecamp .32s. I removed the spacer from the magazine to allow a wider variety of ammo than silver tips and some other SDs, but never liked the lack of any sights at all. Put the spacer back when I sold them.

I still have an NAA Guardian in .32. I carry it occasionally, but mostly rely on the Pico.

My ultimate discretion carry, when dress dictates tiny, is a Colt Junior .25 acp. It's actually quite accurate out to 25 feet and beats relying on a pointed stick.:D

It depends on the pocket. I've given up on pants pocket carry, but in a jacket pocket, my new Kahr CM45 brings 45acp stopping power into a small 6 shot package. Its light and thin. Great DAO trigger. I think its about perfect.

I regularly carry...

A Kel-Tec P11 in a shoulder holster. It disappears under my sport coat. i have considered carrying my S&W Airweight "hammerless" (in .32 H&R Magnum) in the same shoulder rig.

It converts to carry any handgun I need to carry. (Sadly, the man that created the rig, Jim Noble, passed away a few years ago).

breakthrough,

If you're carrying a gun, you're assuming that it might have to be used to save your life. If you're going to use a gun to save your life, it will assuredly be at very close range. Therefore, assuming avoidance -the best option- is not available, you're going to have to incapacitate a bad guy before he renders you room temperature. Hence, you're going to want the right tool for the job. You'll not want to make an inferior tool work.

I think pocket pistols are useless. I'd never want to rely upon one to keep me a taxpayer.

Were I to buy another gun to use to save my life, it'd almost certainly be a P-239 in .40 S&W. If I do carry a handgun now, which I very rarely do even though I can do so legally, it's my old duty gun: P-229 with 180 grain LE ammo.

I think that nothing has come close to John Browning's 1911A1 when it comes to battle weapons. It was designed as a battle gun. It wasn't a gun that was designed for something else and adapted for battle use. But a full-size 1911A1 is on the large and heavy side, although it is amazingly easy to conceal. And at close range, the .45 ACP is king. Remember this fact: if you're in a gunfight, it's because a bad guy wants you dead. That's why it's always most wise to go with avoidance as your primary option.

BTW, for a short period of time a few decades ago, I carried a .45 using 230 grain W-W white box ball ammo and never felt slighted. Were I to again carry a .45, I wouldn't hesitate to use ball ammo. The .45 ACP earned its stellar reputation with ball ammo. But I have enough LE ammo left over from a former career that that's what I'd use. But if I didn't have it, I'd use ball ammo.

Best of luck to you. And choose wisely. Your life might depend on what you choose to save it.

Always remember that the only way of surviving a gunfight is to not get in one.

I think pocket pistols are useless. I'd never want to rely upon one to keep me a taxpayer.

Were I to buy another gun to use to save my life, it'd almost certainly be a P-239 in .40 S&W. If I do carry a handgun now, which I very rarely do even though I can do so legally, it's my old duty gun: P-229 with 180 grain LE ammo.

Out of curiosity, SansSouci, if you rarely carry a gun these days, wouldn't you rather have a little something like a pocket pistol/mouse gun/backup gun rather than nothing? Again, I'm just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back