best pocket pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every pocket sized pistol I've seen at the range was total garbage.
Spoken by someone who has never seen a Ruger LCP! Or a Kahr CM/PM9 for tgat matter.
Those are the two I can personally attest to. The Ruger has now fired in excess of 1000 trouble free, accurate rounds of all sorts of 380ACP ammo.
Not far behind is my Kahr CM9 which is approaching 750 trouble free rounds.
From many posts, and reviews on several firearms related forums, my experience with these two pocketable handguns is much the rule as opposed to the exception.

One guy and his girlfriend had a SW bodyguard 380 that wasn't going into battery half the time, and the other half of the time the trigger was dead and wouldn't fire.

Another guy had a SW bodyguard 380 that wasn't fully going into battery.

This other guy bought his girlfriend a db380 that just wouldn't work. Fail to feed every other round.

I thought I saw some kel tec having problems too.

Remember I'm not saying all pocket pistols are terrible, just the ones I've seen at the range.

S&W Bodyguard .380's have been known to have issues. I had one and it ran flawlessly for me and was great to carry. I got rid of it simply because the premium you had to pay for .380 rounds vs. 9mm rounds. I think there probably is some legitimacy to the complaints against the Bodyguard but I also think some of those are operator error or at least lack of patience. These little guns need quite a few rounds thrown through them to break them in properly and make them reliable.

I know I'm in the minority with this comment, but my LCP was crap. Out of the box, it couldn't make it through a magazine without some type of failure. After an extensive "fluff & buff" it was better, but never made it through a box of ammo without some type of failure. I sold it with full disclosure, and I hope its new owner has better luck with it.

I have a Beretta Bobcat that is the same way. I am trying to fix its issues, and its getting better, but its still not up to the reliability of my friends Bobcat. His runs perfectly. I had the barrel threaded on mine, so I'm going to stick with it, because its a great suppressor host.

My Kel-Tec P32 has been perfect from the first shot. I'm close to 1,000 rounds down range now, and its a joy to shoot. It truly is one of the "best pocket pistols". Its small, light, accurate, and reliable. It locks opens on an empty magazine, and there are factory 10 round magazines available. It costs less than $300 new.

My wife carries a P238 every day and loves it. We went to the LGS for her to look at an LCP and the guy behind the counter showed her the Sig and I went home for more money. No regrets, though - completely reliable, and the most pleasant shooter of any of the pocket .380s I have tried - actually fun at the range. Good night sights are standard. I pretty much like everything except the price, and Momma is happy, so what the heck!

I almost always pocket carry, either a Kahr PM9 or a Sig p238 .. both have been flawless since new. The Kahr is 11 years old, got the Sig earlier this year. Love them both ...tailgator is so right, recoil on the Sig is so soft the sights barely move ... very accurate ... both are pricey, both are worth every cent.

pocket .380

I have had no problems with my Walther PK380 with the exception of POA. Most of these seem to hit low left but that was a simple correction.
A mag loaded with +P .380's is a fine round.

I like the sig 938, though it's a bit big for pocket carry. I have a Raven 25 auto that is surprisingly accurate and reliable.

I have a Bodyguard 380. I like it and I know it sometimes gets a bad rap. The trigger is a long trigger pull. But, the gun is a close self defense weapon. Most of the people that I have talked that give a bad rap are upset because they want it to be a range gun. That is not what it is intended to be. Yes, trigger pull is long and it isn't much fun to shoot for an hour or two. But, it is of good quality and it conceals well.

I carry my Keltec P3AT 380 often . I have had it for years with no malfunctions.

They 32acp version is supposed to be good too.

Those two are pocket pistols and will easily fit in almost any pocket, even some shirt pockets..

I also have a Ruger LC9 that works just fine, but the 9mm "pocket pistols" like that are too large to carry in most pockets, imho.

I used to carry an LC9 - it will fit into many pockets, but still a bit too big. So, I traded it for my Diamondback DB9 - both the DB9 and the Boberg are smaller than the LC9, and easier to carry. My LC9 was durable and reliable, and fairly accurate for such a small gun.

I find pocket carry useful. I can keep my gun in my pocket, my hand on the gas pump and my other hand in my pocket on my gun when at sketchy gas stations. No, I'm not paranoid. Try filling up your gas tank at 11:00pm off of I-75 between Valdosta and Macon, or just about anywhere in Florida - a rout I often travel. Maybe someone taped a big old sign to my back that says "HEY, DRUNK/STONED FELLA, COME ASK ME FOR STUFF"

My best pocket pistol is my Kimber Pro Carry II. It fits nicely in the leather pocket (reads holster) that was made for the gun.

I choose not to carry mouse guns, except my 2" Smith ankle gun, which I carry ANYTIME I have pants on, as I don't TRAIN with them as much as I feel is adequate to use as a primary gun.

That said, if I'm in running shorts in the summer and just taking out the trash, I have my 2" Smith in my pocket.

Another "vote" for sig p238 . . .

I did a lot of research, including some hands-on, before I bought. I risked on a Beretta Nano and regretted it within the first 300 rounds. Sold it and went after the more expensive sig p238. Excellent choice. I have about 400 rounds down range with all kind of ammo including a variety of hand load and that little gun hasn't jammed, stovepiped, FTE or FTF. The thing runs flawlessly. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is SA. This means if you want to carry with one in the pipe you have to trust the safety. And it's a good trust worthy safety.
If you can afford a Sig p238 I really don't think you'll regret getting one.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

ruger lcr 22lr or bond arms derringer 410/45lc for cargo pockets. s&w airweight 38 if i can find some very soft cowboy load ammo.

want to try taurus pt 25acp or naa guardian 32acp for regular pockets: any opinions there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back