Best deal under 300

Best deal under 300
Since this isn't your first, the surplus/used route, as recommended, gives you by far the best options.

If you're a little patient and open to what guns pop up on the market at certain times, you can land plenty of good deals. I've found

Right at $300
  1. Tisas 1911 in .45 acp
  2. Star 30MI 9mm
  3. Smith & Wesson 39-2
  4. Beretta 92FS
  5. CZ 75 pre B
  6. East German Makarov in pristine condition

At/under $250
  1. FEG Hi Power clone 100% interchangeable with Browning parts
  2. Smith & Wesson 915
  3. Star Modelo B Super
  4. CZ 82

At/under $200
  1. Baikal IJ 70 18AH (Russian commercial doublestack Makarov)
  2. Radom P64
  3. FEG PA 63
  4. Norinco T54 Tokarev (9mm variant, but takes the standard mags; and functions fine with them)

These are all steel (aluminum for the S&W, Beretta and PA 63) frames, most were surplus or police trade-ins. Durable, reliable, solid pistols that were expected to function; and they all do for me. Of the entire lot, I've experienced one broken extractor (CZ 75) and one broken firing pin (Norinco T54), and these after a whole lot of usage. Both easily replaced too.

I have decided on an M&P Shield in .40. More of a practical purchase, but I like the gun nonetheless. A bit over budget, but only by 100 dollars.

Had to put on layaway due to the holidays. Maybe I will do a review when I get to shoot it.

Sweet

HistoryJunky said:
I have decided on an M&P Shield in .40. More of a practical purchase, but I like the gun nonetheless. A bit over budget, but only by 100 dollars.

Nice pick!:D

So around $400? Well, although you could have purchased it for a little less money on the internet, I commend you for shopping locally, and paying a little more. (Or so it sounds like that's what you did)

Congratulations!

Yes I did buy locally. I wouldn't have saved that much money after shipping and an FFL fee buying online. That and most online retailers don't offer a payment system. My FFL lets me put a down payment on the gun and just pay it off when I pick it up.

I picked up my Saiga 7.62x39 from this same dealer for a good price and he always has great deals. Keeps me coming back.

Scooby - We have similar taste!

Tisas 1911 in .45 acp
Beretta 92FS
CZ 75 pre B
Star Modelo B Super
CZ 82
Baikal IJ 70 Radom P64
FEG PA 63
Norinco T54 Tokarev

I own or have owned those ones, and have some other similar ones besides. All of them have functioned perfectly, and all were in your price range. IMHO, there is no better deal in handguns than surplus service pistols.

This is a cute little CZ70 I picked up for $250 not long ago. It seemed to be NIB.

CZ70_zpsfb310995.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I'd do...

Taurus 709 SLIM
Star Firestar (nice but heavy)
Used Bersa Thunder nine might come in about $320-$340ish.
Used S&W MP Shield is about $330-$360ish.

Stick with 9x19mm if you can. It's a great round.

Or maybe a 9x18:
Makarov
PA-63

Got my wife a lightly used Shield 9mm, with 5 magazines and a Sneaky Pete holster for $250. Seems like we did good.

I remember my Kahr CW 9 costing like $312 in 2013 and just love the gun.. now just the other day I bought a Ruger LCP 380 Gen 2 for $209 and for got I had $80 store credit there for like 2 years ago.. so the LCP cost me $144 out the door..:eek:

a good makarov is worth the coin. Keep in mind it shoots a slightly oddball round,, but GREAT gun. Sold my HP .40 and a couple others to get that M&P, you won't do much better than that for a .40.

a good makarov is worth the coin. Keep in mind it shoots a slightly oddball round,, but GREAT gun

Yup, they are the 'AK47' of semi-auto pistols. :cool:

The recent find & import of like new/unissued Bulgarians are beautiful and can be had for $299 with two numbers matching mags, issue holster, and logbook. Not quite the bargain they were in the 90's but you'll not find a better 'new' pistol for the price. They are nearly indestructible and ridiculously reliable.

How about some of the century arms imports? Such as the Canik TP9? They seem decent...

I like the design, but I worry about parts availability.... especially if the political situation with Turkey deteriorates. The CZ clones that Canik & TriStar might be a safer bet.

Back