Best deal under 300

HistoryJunky

This is not a first handgun purchase thread.

I'm getting about 300 dollars put away for my own Christmas present. I'm looking to get another handgun. Right now my only handgun is my M&P .40.

There doesn't have to be a specific role for this gun. I won't have my CC permit for another month or two and it's cold so I will just carry my M&P.

Things I've been thinking about are a Yugo M70A 9mm Tokarev, SCCY CPX-2, Hi Point .40.

Also thought of the EAA guns in .40.

Recommendations?

Thanks. I have heard good things about Bersa. Trying to stay away from .380 since I don't already have one. And I think if your gonna go .380 it should be a pocket able pistol.

As for the Smith.. it doesn't seem enough different from my M&P except for a worse trigger.

have you considered a rimfire? if revolver you may find a decent used ruger single6 22lr/wmr convertible online for $300. for $200 with change for more ammo you can find a new heritage rough-rider 22lr/wmr online. heritage is not ruger quality but is ok. single actions are fun plinkers and their slower pace teaches better accuracy. 22lr is a soft way to introduce a friend to guns, vital in this era of antigun agitation. defense 22wmr loads are credible for protection. if you want a semiauto a new ruger sr22 can be had for $300. whatever you choose, enjoy your gift to yourself!

$300... That's front wall of the local gun show. You should be able to find a great deal on a lightly used revolver for that green or just a little more = $320. Look for a swM10 or rugerSP101 or rugerGP100. Even in IL you should be able to find that kind of a bargain.

That's good to know. If .22 ammo was remotely available in my area I would buy a Ruger mkIII. But it's about as common as sasquatch.

Now if I could find a GP100... couldn't pass it up.

Thinking strongly on an Eaa Witness poly in .40

I paid about $300.00 for a used Ruger P95DC (9mm) and a Ruger Security-Six (357) both recently at my LGS. Used, of course, and in both cases the finishes were well worn, but they both shoot just fine.

Can you find them for that? I don't know, but it's a couple I'd look for.

Is there anything you know of to reduce the trigger pull of it? That's the most common complaint I have heard.

I've worked on a buddy's gun to reduce the trigger weight. It comes with a 12+ lbs trigger pull. This compensates for the lack of a safety (lawyer stuff). Internally there are two springs that do nothing but add weight. Remove and discard the springs and you have an approximate 5.5 lbs pull. He went from shooting off the target to three inch groups.

Here is a write up on some guns in that budget.

Things I've been thinking about are a Yugo M70A 9mm Tokarev, SCCY CPX-2, Hi Point .40.

Also thought of the EAA guns in .40.

I would stay away from the .40 high point... I had one and got rid of it as quick as I could.

I would also stay away from the SCCY, the cpx had a lot of issues which is the reason for the cpx-2. and if your just buying a fun gun I think you would be better served with a full frame or similar. This would be best as a CCW and honestly the bersas are a better choice within that price range for concealability and shootability. (apparently me and lamarw disagree on this)

Best bet in my mind out of this list would be the EAA or Tokarev.

I've read good things about the Taurus TCP 738, probably my next purchase for a ccw.

Ive also had this gun, it spent more time at the factory for repairs than it did in a holster. I sold it as fast as I could as well.

SAR Arms B6P or Walther PPX both under $300 and great firearms

Probably 2 of the best guns you will find for under $300.

If you were able to go into the $350 range you could look at one of the caniks.. I shot a TP9V2 on Monday and its single action trigger was amazing.

Also in the $300 range is police trade in Glock (:eek: did he just say glock?!?!) 22's which is about the best bang for your buck at that price point, it would be simple to convert it to a 9mm or .357 sig down the road. Just a thought :)

But shoot dang if you find a 4 or 6 in ruger gp100 for $300... buy it or let me buy it!

LEO tradeins are a great source, if your LGS carries them. The NYC PD has furnished me with several over the years, all great shooters, but most with holster wear. My particular favorite is a Kahr K9'which came in around the $300 range. I too got a used Ruger P9 for about the same.

If it weren't for my size 8 glove size hands, I'd already have a Police trade in Glock.

Anyone have experience with EAA pistols in .40? Or the other calibers.

For that kind of money I'd be trying to scoop up a Ruger SR9e. It's their economy model. It's literally the same thing as the SR 9 save a few cosmetic differences, and even those are not easy to spot. Check them out.

Another option is a Ruger GP100. I plan to pick one up soon.

Back