Best 9mm defense rounds

All other factors being as near equal as we can suppose, I'm inclined toward heavier projectiles, say 123gr. or up. I think I would also concern myself with projectile SHAPE, rather than construction. A 123gr. (or heavier) flat-pointed projectile that does not expand and penetrates more deeply may be as efficacious as the same weight JHP projectile that fails to expand, expands only partially, or expands violently but fails to penetrate deeply enough to involve a major blood vessel, nerve plexus, or organ.

As much engineering as has gone into the design of current expanding pistol projectiles, too many factors remain unique to individual incidents to depend on "controlled expansion" in gunfights. It is almost a trite aphorism at this point, but it is well to remember that a projectile that expands reliably in soft tissue at pistol speeds is necessarily so fragile that it may not penetrate a belt-buckle.

I think I would also concern myself with projectile SHAPE, rather than construction. A 123gr. (or heavier) flat-pointed projectile that does not expand

Hornady and the USAF worked hard on this premise in the 1980s, looking for a bullet that would hit harder than roundnose but still be internationally polite military FMJ. The Pentagon didn't bite, I think because NATO wanted us to be able to provide familiar roundnose for all their existing 9mms.
It did not catch on for LE or self defense, although the .45 version had a brief popularity in Jeff Cooper's dotage.

In picking up Ranger T in 147 mode, a while back, am happy with it.

The main point of a 147g bullet, it tends to go deep, where the major organs are.

Decent recoil out of my Glock 19, very accurate, Cop rated. Feeds perfect.

Sounds like the guy who successfully defended himself against an armed thug and had to face an obviously biased, anti-gun prosecutor in court.
When asked if the gun he used was his "favorite", he replied, "it is now!"

My point being that paying for all the hyped up ammo isn't gonna make much of a difference, dead is dead. Spending time at the range far exceeds all the fancy designer ammo.

My point being that paying for all the hyped up ammo isn't gonna make much of a difference, dead is dead. Spending time at the range far exceeds all the fancy designer ammo.

It's not a binary choice though. You can train a lot AND select an advanced round. I'll take every advantage I can get.

Anything from the Trinity----HST, Gold Dot, Ranger, is a given.

I've been moving away from +P lately in favor of standard pressure given the advances in bullet design, although certain pieces love certain loads, so I don't change them. For example, HK P7s are known to be happiest with toasty 124s, and that is what I stick with in mine (they also streak like lasers to the target from the P7 :D ).

I haven't bought any new SD 115s in years. I consider 124s the best overall balance.

Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135gr. I used to use Critical Defense 147gr. Both are excellent and fire flawlessy out of my G19.

Anything from the Trinity----HST, Gold Dot, Ranger, is a given.

I've been moving away from +P lately in favor of standard pressure given the advances in bullet design, although certain pieces love certain loads, so I don't change them. For example, HK P7s are known to be happiest with toasty 124s, and that is what I stick with in mine (they also streak like lasers to the target from the P7 :D ).

I haven't bought any new SD 115s in years. I consider 124s the best overall balance.

I'm similar on +p. I use it in my 3.5-4" barrels, but my 92FS has a 4.9" so I use standard pressure Gold Dot 124s in it. Should get me similar velocity to 124 +p from a 4" barrel without premature wear on my gun.

I'm with Constantine on this one. I typically carry a mag of esch, win down the pipe, with GD as a back up.

It should be, dead is dead.

It should be? I'm confused, you're saying I should have to choose between the best ammo and good regular training?

Given that in the last 20 years ammo technology has turned 9mm from a lukewarm mediocrity to an equal to other duty calibers, I respectfully disagree.

It's one thing to say shot placement and training is much more important than what bullet you choose. That's 100% correct. It's another to say good ammo doesn't matter at all.

It should be? I'm confused, you're saying I should have to choose between the best ammo and good regular training?

Fast draw.

I'm saying that my light target loads with kill just as well as designer ammo. Shot placement rules. If you need that extra insurance go for it.

Back