Best 9mm defense rounds

epl1007

I was wondering about 9mm defense rounds and what options there are Since Federal HSTs and Speer Gold Dots are damn near impossible to find. Any other good bullets out there

You already mentioned my first and second choices. My third choice is Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense.

Some ballistic tests have shown that Critical Duty fired out of a short barrel (3") pistol may not achieve sufficient muzzle velocity to expand reliably on impact and thus behaves more like FMJ ammo with a tendency to over-penetrate.

Critical defense has tested well but I prefer a heavier projectile than 115gr for self-defense.

I have not had any trouble finding Speer Gold Dot and Federal Premium HST on-line.

I was wondering about 9mm defense rounds and what options there are Since Federal HSTs and Speer Gold Dots are damn near impossible to find. Any other good bullets out there

Yeah, the ones that hit their target.

SD Ammo

Hornaday CD 9MM has done well on all my simple,but practical,farm testing.This plus good accuracy and flawless functioning.I have trust in this load.

Oh boy. This should get almost as fun as 9mm v 45 acp threads.
Honestly, there are so many untested options and the market is so flooded with 9mm defense rounds that have potential, its a really hard question. Backyard ballistic tests, penetration and expansion debates, barrel length, and it goes on and on to complicate things.
Personally, I prefer flat nose for self defense, or swc, but good luck finding a design that feeds reliably.

Oh boy. This should get almost as fun as 9mm v 45 acp threads.
Honestly, there are so many untested options and the market is so flooded with 9mm defense rounds that have potential, its a really hard question. Backyard ballistic tests, penetration and expansion debates, barrel length, and it goes on and on to complicate things.
Personally, I prefer flat nose for self defense, or swc, but good luck finding a design that feeds reliably.

I use Blazer 115 grain FMJ. Many call them target rounds. :D

I'd use what shoots and functions best. If there's not that much difference between say a 125gr HP 357 mag and a 230gr HP 45 ACP (polar opposites) in real world shootings then over thinking choices within a specific cartridge seem to be a little bit fruitless.;)

Last edited:
function over brand

To support what another has said...find the ammo your gun likes best, and that you shoot best. FI, one of my 9's will not reliably cycle anything Federal, JHP or FMJ. Both 9's really do well with, and I hit where I'm aiming consistently with Gold Dot 124 and Hornady CD 135. It took a bunch of boxes to figure that out. The 45 and 380 like Golden Sabre's. Trial and error.

I use the old tech Federal 9BP because it feeds, fires, and functions in my guns, and has for years. Could I get a "deadlier mushroom"? Maybe, but don't want to spend the time and money to prove a different round in several guns that I know work with Federal.

If you are starting from scratch, maybe HST or Ranger T.

The best round to fight with is the one that kills the enemy.
125 grain HP 9mms do well for penetration and cavitation.
The bestis not the round, but the man shooting it.

I recommencement to my students to buy 5000 round boxes of cast 122-125 grain bullets and SHOOT THEM ALL every year. More is even better.

Buy one box of good 125 grain (or thereabouts) HP ammo for carry.

Become an excellent marksman and learn to shoot under less-than-ideal conditions.
It's the man (or woman) that wins the contest, not the gun or the bullet

Yeah, the ones that hit their target.
Sounds like the guy who successfully defended himself against an armed thug and had to face an obviously biased, anti-gun prosecutor in court.
When asked if the gun he used was his "favorite", he replied, "it is now!"

The difference between best and worst is pretty small. Any decent 124-147gr HP bullet that is reliable is going to do pretty well. I like +P loadings. As long as it proves reliable and reasonably accurate the rest is up to you.

Back