Best 9mm ammo for defense

Is it safe to say in general that the specs/performance of the PD ammo mentioned in this thread are based on service-size guns instead of the compact models that most carry for CCW?

There is only one 9mm load specified to be for short barrel guns, that I know about. That is the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel load. Other wise the specs could be from service guns or test barrels.

I carry a CZ P-07 with a 3.8" barrel. So, I don't worry too much.

I know, for instance, that the Critical Duty ammunition which I really like is 'not' recommended for compact guns which kind of defeats its purpose for me.

It defeats the purpose for many departments as well. A lot of departments issue compact handguns to smaller stature officers and detectives. I know my department issues the M&P 9c to several officers. At least three other departments in my area issue compacts to several officers.

Quote:
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

A lot of people love this round. If you go check out the Winchester LEO site, the 124gr+p actually out performs it in their test. Might be worth a look to save wear and tear on your game.

That depends on your definition of "outperform" I suppose. In Winchester's testing, the 127gr +P+ T-Series outpenetrated both the 124gr +P T-Series and 124gr +P bonded in bare gelatin. In the heavy cloth test, the 127gr +P+ T-Series outpenetrated the 124gr +P T-Series and expanded significantly more than the 124gr +P Bonded.

http://winchesterle.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/Handgun%20Bullet%20Barrier%20Testing%20Protocol.pdf

12.2" and .7" for the +p and 12.3" and .64" for the +p+. I go for the extra expansion.

Through denim the +P is 13.9" and .67". The +p+ is 12.2" and .68". I will go with the extra 1.7" of penetration.

Through heavy cloth the +p is 13.3" and .68". The +p+ is 12.2" and .68". I will go for the extra penetration.

Through wallboard the +p is 14" and .66". The +p+ is 12.1" and .66". Extra penetration might work against it here.

The +p+ really only has an advantage against plywood and steel. It is even behind the +p after penetrating auto glass.

The +p+ is only a clear winner in two areas and arguably better against bare gelatin. When it comes to clothing material the +p is a clear winner. That is why I said it outperforms the +p+ version.

I am not a fan of the Ranger Bonded in 124gr+p. It seems like it would be too likely to produce a "ice pick" wound while overpenetrating.

If I was going to buy Winchester Ranger ammo again I would probably go with the 147gr T series. To me it looks like a nearly perfect compromise between expansion and penetration.

I do find it completely disturbing that Winchester has two different sets of results depending on which of their sites you visit. I visited the comparison tool linked in my post. Then I went to yours. That actually makes me not want to buy anything from Winchester's Ranger line.

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

Last edited:
Winchester redesigned the T-Series bullet a few years ago (likely under marketing pressure from the Federal HST). The link you posted had been on Winchester's site for years while the one I posted was put up more recently (I can no longer find the link you posted through Winchester's site). I suspect that the data in your link is for the "old" T-Series while that in mine is for the "new" T-Series (notice that the bonded bullet data is much closer). "New" and "old" Rangers can be differentiated by the boxflap: "old" with say "SXT" while "new" will say "T-Series".

Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm(9x19mm), SIG Sauer....

When I purchased my new M&P 9x19mm full size, the S&W manual stated NOT to fire any +P+ 9mm rounds.
I also saw on SIG's main website they state not to shoot +P+ either.

I used Ranger T 127gr +P+ for my 9x19mm duty pistols but I plan to switch to Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P later on.
The Hornady specs & ballistics are impressive and as posted above, you can't always dictate or know where a lethal force incident will occur.
Being able to use a 9x19mm & have it defend me or others w/o needing to hose down a subject with weak loads is what's important to me.
There are several well made 9x19mm rounds now but you need to pick what you think works best.

ClydeFrog

I am about to buy some new SD ammo for the Kahr CM9. I had read Chuck Hawks article on self defense loads and have used the CorBon 115gr +P for some time. I am now reading here and there that that is outdated material. while I do not really want to go to 147gr in that small a handgun, what is the general concensus with the CorBon 115 compared to some others...such as the HST in 124? Catch me up to date.

A lot of Khar CM9 owners, including myself, shoot Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot +P. The little gun seems to like it and it is a very good performing bullet. YMMV.

My EDC is a Kahr PM9 .. tried +p loads but they are just not controllable for me in such a light gun ... I use Hornady standard pressure Critical Defense, which feeds perfectly, is as accurate as I can shoot it and does not produce the recoil issues ...

Like others have stated and identified, there are literally a plethora of outstanding 9mm loads for SD. Definitely great to have that massive selection available, but this mandates that you do your homework as everybody and their brother are in the market. Much depends on barrel length and other factors (all subject to debate) so there will never be that 'one fits all' solution absent FMJ as I see it.

Check out Hornady's Critical Duty 135gr load. I really like the 'happy-medium' of the grains/expansion here as I did want to go either of the extreme ends of the spectrum (<115gr or 147gr) at least for SD purposes.

-Cheers

If I'm hunkered down with my family in the master bedroom, and a guy is trying to kick his way in, what should I do? I vote shoot through the door.

Just wana point out this could get you thrown in jail. We specifically covered this during my certification course a few years ago. Unless the guy is shooting at you through the door himself you cannot shoot at someone through a closed door. But hey if you get chased into a room by a guy with a gun or knife and hes trying to knock the door down, most people would be hard pressed not to shoot.

as for my 9mm round of choice, I like Gold Dots by Speer. I use them in my .380 too.

I went ahead and bought another box of Cor Bon 115gr +P 9mm. I'll look into some of the others soon, but I figured this is a great round so I'll stick with it for awhile. I took the Sig P220 and my new Kahr CM9 down for a little quick-range-time on the way home from work. The Sig, of course ate up everything I threw at it. I had in one 10 round magazine some Glasers that were probably 20 years old, some Winchester Ranger T's, and some FMJ's of different brands. Never even flinched...just ate it all up. What was really great, is that the CM9 shot a few Cor Bon 115's that I had from a previous box, along with some HydroShoks and an assortment of cheap FMJ's. It didn't have a hiccup as well.

Drag, in my state once they attempt to enter the home unlawfully it becomes stand your ground. If the person has entered the home illegally (and is trying to enter the bedroom by force) they don't think he is coming for tea and crumpets. The law pretty much clears me unless they can prove I instigated the situation.

Each state has a different set of laws and they are always in flux. Each person needs to become very familliar with the laws in their state.

Last edited:
A lot of Khar CM9 owners, including myself, shoot Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot +P. The little gun seems to like it and it is a very good performing bullet. YMMV.

YUP, here's one! My CM9 runs perfect with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P Short Barrel. It functions perfectly, and is very accurate in the short tube. The recoil is a bit snappy, but completely controllable.

I would reitterate...

as it's likely been said already, try a bunch of ammo from various makers, and even some of their models as well. Each gun shoots different ammo differently.

".... I suspect more than a few types of ammo are going to work very well for you, especially if you fire first and more accurately than the bad guy. Then at that point some WAlly World even FMJ or even a wad cutter placed in a critical spot (brain or heart) should be good enough."

some great numbers of penetration and expansion with one sort of ammo, might not be able to give you & your gun quite those exact same numbers. unless of course, they were shooting the same gun they did which yielded those numbers.

even the same gun with a different length barrel shoots the same ammo providing dissimilar ends.

Common sense says many of the newer hi tech hi pressure hollow point semi jacketed ammo is going to preform very well and likely be just fine.

from what I've read online it's about the speed of the round which allows the bullet to blossom completely. It seems too that the speed indicates accuracy as well for different length barrels. It's not so much the weight of the round itself. One prevalent reviewer uses very often, as many as seven or more types of ammo in the handgun he reviews and each sort of ammo results in different size groups every time!

so one can go by those results IF they buy the same gun and the same/best resulting ammo being fired.

Otherwise, when reporting what ammo someone prefers, it's merely a subjective account on what makes that person, with a particular pistol, feel confident... and such confidence should be derived from testing ammo in their own carry gun (s).

Consequently, when asking for what ammo is best, it should be a request such as, "what's the best ammo for the "yada yada"" pistol with a "XXX" length barre..... otherwise you might end up shooting less than optimally while in the dark.

the length of your barrel & model of gun are tremendous factors in trying to achieve the best results with any ammo and those items should be disclosed by posters when they are reporting what they believe is best.

but again... I suspect more than a few types of ammo are going to work very well for whatever brand gun in whatever length barrel, especially if you fire first and more accurately than the bad guy. Then at that point some WAlly World even FMJ or even a wad cutter placed in a critical spot (brain or heart) should be good enough.

I shoot Hornady in all of my weapons, long and short barreled. Carbine and shotgun. I'm secure enough using Critical defense, TAP, non + p, and +p. All are JHP except for the 12ga., naturally. Good luck!

New member here

Hello all, I am a new member here and wish I would have come here sooner. There is always great debate over 9mm and 45 ACP. Truth is, new advances in 9mm ammunition has closed the gap between the two considerably, to the point where the 9mm may be the better option for most. Here is a link I ran across that does a pretty good job explaining the different, and preferred, defense ammunition. This article covers everything from 22LR on up. It's worth the read.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

For 9mm, I usually go with a premium 147 gr. JHP- HST, PDX1, GoldDot, Ranger Talon. Best all-around choice.

Back