Beretta 92FS vs. Sig P226

Have owned a German p226 in 9mm for a few years...

Just bought an Italian 92fs in 9mm, have not fired it yet.

P226 - came with a Hogue grip that felt like the big end of a bat. Replaced with factory, stock grip, feels much better.

92fs - has the factory grip, which also feels like the big end of a bat. I am in the process of modding a set of Beretta Vertec grips, the smaller grip width feels wonderful.

Have a thing for small arms with historical significance, used by our armed forces.

BTW - post #62 is actually quite funny....

I own a Beretta 92FS (circa 1991) and a Sig P226 (circa 1995). Both are great guns. The Sig feels better in my hand, but the finish on the Beretta is better. Cannot go wrong with either.

I currently own both of them
Two Sig's
Four Berettas

Both are excellent pistols either of which should serve you well
I would ignore the fluff and pick the one that YOU shoot better with your chosen load

That said, I personally prefer the 92FS (specifically the Brigadier version) because when shooting its operation is like a fine watch, while the Sig has a more generic in feel. If you are leaning towards the 92 I would suggest trying the Brigadier version as it has a very unique (better) feel over the standard 92 when shooting.

But again, both the 92 and Sig are fine pistols and either should serve you very well

PS
The stories repeated about the 92 failing early on, the slide launching, etc. are wrong 99.9% of the time. Yes it failed, after thousands of rounds of PROOF loads were inadvertently used during T&E, which is why Beretta won the big lawsuit. Folks who know what actually happened look at it as a testament to how strong and durable the 92 really is.

:D:D:D

If the OP hasn’t made a decision in the nearly 10 years since starting this thread, I’m pretty sure nobody will be able to influence the decision one way or another.

Both are equally good guns. Which one feels better in your hands and points more naturally? That would be the one I choose.....

They are both a little bit too big for my hands. I'd take the SIG because I cannot reach the safety on the Beretta without wrecking my grip. Not a fan of DA first shot with either.

:D:D:D

If the OP hasn’t made a decision in the nearly 10 years since starting this thread, I’m pretty sure nobody will be able to influence the decision one way or another.

Plus the OP hasn't posted anymore in ten years so I doubt he'll be back.

Why do people feel it necessary to resurrect ancient threads.

Why do people feel it necessary to resurrect ancient threads.

If you don't want to read it; don't read it. Some subjects, issues, questions and insights are not wedded to time or circumstance in terms of relevancy.

B-92 > P226.

I've owned both, carried both, the 226 is gone.

I carry and conceal the 92 IWB at about 3.30 every day. With 18 rounds in the mag, what's not to like?

I'll be back in December of 2020, when this thread is resurrected yet again. Maybe, it'll become a Christmas tradition like watching "Christmas Vacation" or Ralphie on "A Christmas Story."

Candy canes and hot cocoa, Jingle Bells on the stereo.

FWIW...I love my 92FS Inox. Never owned a Sig. I hear they're OK guns. :D

Didn't read EVERY reply, so someone might've said what I am about to already.

First off, like many have said - they're both G2G.

The Sig feels "disconnected" to me. The bore axis rides higher in my hand, on top of it. This gives a weird sense of "top heavy" to it. The Beretta..... My hand is up in there like swimwear (bore axis seems much lower to your hand)

Downside to the Beretta - unless you go with certain specific models, like the M9A3 (mine), the front sight is part of the slide. All machined out of one solid piece. That bugs me.

I know it wasn't on your list, but a similar gun in that category deserves a look before you select either of them - CZ SP01 Tactical.

"- 3. "The 92FS only won the XM9 pistol trials for political reasons." Unproven, but even if true, it does not speak against the quality of the pistol as they both passed those trials."

The 92 won the XM9 trials due to cost. How do I know? I used to race with the Army DOD official who was in charge of the competition and made the decision to select the Beretta.

He said that decision cost him more grief than any other that he made while in the Gov't.

He was retired when I knew him but haven't seen him for +10 years or so. I wish I had spent more time talking about the decision but life intervened.

Having said that, I have the P226 since about 1988 or so. I highly recommend it if you need/want a full sized 9mm pistol.

Downside to the Beretta - unless you go with certain specific models, like the M9A3 (mine), the front sight is part of the slide. All machined out of one solid piece. That bugs me.

Same here; I like everything else about the 92FS but that permanent front sight. That said, in this instance, my objection to it so far is strictly a "theoretical" one as I've never had the need or occasion to change or move it.

Back