Beretta 92FS vs. Sig P226

Beretta can do things sigs cant...

casually shoot perfect smiley faces at the range pushing the target as far out as possible.

capable of run and gun action shooting helocoptors with mercs trained on sniper rifles off US territory out to sea.

Capable of perfect hit while rolling around on the ground

And Dont even think about calling someone who carries a Beretta 92fs crazy. Especially if they have long hair and cowboy boots.

Laser sighted capable of controlled banking shots off hard objects to defeat an assaulter useing proper cover.

Capable of defeating an entire building overun by terrorists with overpriced suits sporting HK MP5s, P7m8s, walther PPKs, Steyr AUGS, and enough C4 to orbit Arnold Swartzenegger.

Capable of secure carry by just shoving in the waistband even when Jumping off a building as it blows the roof, hanging by a firehouse, shooting the windows out and hurling yourself through the glass before being almost dragged to your death by the firehouse.

Capable of concease carry on the back of the neck with simple packing tape while still being easily accessable for quick draw shooting.

And there is many, many more examples we have seen through the years of why the Beretta 92fs is the superior gun. Do we really need to continue this debate?

Best thing to do if you ever encounter a Beretta 92 CCW holder is repeat these words......"Thats some heavy shxx your carrying there. 9mm beretta. 15 in the mag one up the pipe. Wide ejection port...no feed jams."

I will leave it at that. Dont mess with them. Dont TEMPT them. Dont call them crazy. Chances are they did a guy in high winds at 1000 yards and maybe 5 guys in the world could have made that shot. It could also be a new york cop with a six month backlog of scumbags he is still trying to put behind bars.

I've owned both. Now I have a P229 in .40/357 sig.

I liked the Beretta for its perfect reliability. Put over 7,000 rds through it over 9 years and never had a single issue. Still have all of my teef.

What I didn't like about it was that the grip was just a bit too large, so after drawing it, I always had to slightly adjust my grip so I could get my finger on the trigger properly. Not that big a deal if I could get both hands on it as I pushed out towards the target, but if I was drawing one handed I had to kind of juggle it a bit. Not ideal.

The 226 was nearly as accurate and reliable (5,000 essentially trouble-free miles), probably not enough difference to make a deal out of it. I felt the 226 had better ergos than the Beretta, certainly for my medium-large hands the decocker and the trigger were much easier to get to.

What I didn't like about it was that the trigger was set a bit far forward and had a considerable amount of slop. Which is apparently normal for the P22x series of pistols. This is not that big a deal; I learned to deal with it in a few shooting/dry fire sessions. It's not noticeable during any kind of rapid fire drills. But it is there.

If I were looking these pistols right now, it'd be a tough choice.

The SIG is just a better fit for me and my hands, plus I know I can get a SRT kit and a IDP Performance trigger or the like (SIG has their own version of the same thing) to take care of that factory slop. But SIG's current seeming problems with quality control plus their reported issues in their warranty department would give me some pause.

On the other hand, the Beretta was more accurate for me, but I'd have to try one of those new short frame models to see if it would fit my hand a little better. Plus I've heard better things about Beretta's warranty dept. On the down side, the Beretta doesn't have a rail, so if you like hanging things off your sidearm, no dice.

Then the SIG retails for about $900-$1200 I believe, while the Beretta runs around $650 NIB, or so there's all those greenback things to think about.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Good luck in your decision.

for what it's worth

I have a 92 I bought back in the 90's. Still never had an issue with it. Not one.

Just bought a M9A1, just because. picking that up tomorrow.

Beretta has been my favorite hg. I have or have owned Ruger's, Glock's, XD's, Sig's, Tauras's, Smith's and a few others. All have come and gone except for the 92.

The 226 is a fine handgun. just didn't like it as much as the 92. Not a Glock fan at all. Tried a couple, just can't like them.

my cc is a S&W M&P 9c. the 92 is a bit heavy, but have carried it on occation.

Both the Beretta 92 series and the SIG P-series DA/SA pistols are well-made and reliable. The Beretta wins on price. Magazines can also be had more cheaply.

I do not own a SIG P226. I own two P229s and have long owned a Beretta 92FS. I also have three Beretta Cougars.

The Beretta is a big pistol with a chunky grip that poses problems for some as has already been noted. The SIG P226/229 is also pretty big and chunky, but the DA trigger reach seems to be a bit less problematical and there are more trigger options for those with smaller hands.

The design of the Beretta 92FS front sight, which is milled into the front slide strap, is unfortunate. The sight cannot be swapped and the strap is too thin to safely cut a dovetail into. Other versions of the Beretta 92 series have a dovetailed front sight.

Of the two pistols I prefer the trigger action of the SIGs. The SIG trigger reset can be made quite short with little take-up on the SA trigger by addition of the SRT kit (sear and safety lever). The take-up on the Beretta SA trigger is rather long.

Of the two manufacturers, I tend to shoot my SIGs better than my Berettas.

Eight years ago I'd have said Sig. I've had multiple of both, sold off the Beretta's and kept the Sig a little longer. But I no longer own either and have no intention of going back. In 2018 (almost 2019) you can do better.

I have both makes/models in consideration and like them both equally for different reasons. However, I like my Smith&Wesson Model 5906 better than either for all the right reasons: reliability, quality of material and workmanship and generally good ergonomics (for me, at least). However, in terms of magazine capacity, the long discontinued Third Generation Smith doesn't hold quite as many cartridges as the Beretta and SIG pistols do.

OP I don't own a full size Sig , I do own the 92FS, FNX45T, Glock G22, Desert Eagle 44 mag, Beretta Nano, Sig 238 and a few varied caliber 1911's in semi. Not a brand loyal fanboy to any. All my handguns shoot well, none are poor shooters. It's all me if a spray a bad random group. I handload so I do strive for the most consistent groupings. If I were to offer advice as to your dilemma of "one feels better, but I shoot the other better" I think I would persuade you to go with the Beretta. Reason being is the fact that every time you draw the Sig you will always have in the back of your mind "this gun just feels odd". On the flip, every time you draw your Beretta it feels "just right" in the hand(s). I think over time spent with the Beretta you will shoot it just as consistent (if not more) than the Sig. Remember also, at some point you will want another handgun, then when the time is right just buy the Sig ! Good luck. My Beretta 92FS is a flawless shooter with zero issues. If you to ask me for any Beretta gripes it would only be the very complex design if performing a full dissasembly for cleaning. The field strip is simple, the COMPLETE dissasembly is a PIA. There is NO "perfect" handgun. It's all up to you to prioritize your want's test fire as many platforms as you can than make your best compromising decision. I love all my 22 different firearms, each has pro's and con's. I choose each based upon situational need. Good luck with the end choice.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, for all the that it’s worth ... I do, and have owned both the 226 and 92FS. I’m accurate with both, at speed, but my preference is for the Beretta, which is odd because they were just barely phasing them in before I ETS’d. My experience has primarily been with 1911s and revolvers, yet I adapted to the 92’s DA trigger quickly. While my preference will always go to the 1911 first, I have no issues with my abilities with the 92 over the 226.
As always, your mileage may vary. As a wiser man once said,
“Some things are the same, wherever you go. If it feels like more than two fingers, it’s probably a dick.”

^^^^^
HA! I was going to post just to keep it alive. It’s kinda epic at this point. :)

I have both. I have fairly small hands. Over the years I have inexplicably come to prefer the 92 series. I have never seen a problem with either.

POWER TO HAMMER!!!! :p

Sig P226 with tritium night sights, German manufactured:
100_0690.jpg
West German made SIG Sauers are the ones that really command the extra $$$ over Beretta 92 series.

I was issued a 92FS for a few years, loved that gun. The only problem is that I was expected to wear it concealed at times... in a shoulder holster or chest rig...

I have a 226 now and I love that gun too. As soon as I find a good deal on a 92 I’ll be getting one of those for myself because I miss my old duty weapon. Both are amazing firearms and both will get the job done.

My advice: get both! But if you must choose I would say go with the one that feels better in your hand. Still can’t decide? Go with the 92 because John McLane and the Boondocks Saints.

This thread was quite young back when I was more active on the forum. And it is indeed old now, but it’s still a valid discussion about two proven handguns and will still be a valid discussion in another 10 years.

LOL, I just checked the starting date...hell, I had most of my hair and all of my teeth when this thread started....however....I'll join in!

We've got 'em both. Son #2's 92FS has way over 5000 rounds through it and been in use since '95 with nary a broken part. It's as accurate as the day it rolled off the assembly line with our handloads, too. My son, a former Marine MP shoots it extremely well and has no problem with it's very full, rounded grip. For me, it's like trying to hold the fat end of a baseball bat...I just can't get around to liking the grip feel.

We both also shoot a number of double column Sigs as well, and have no problem with them as to grip feel. None have given us any trouble with parts breakage either and are a bit more accurate than the 92 FS for that critical DA first shot. To my hand, the Sig's are a bit thinner through the grip than the Beretta.

Without starting a caliber war, if you're enamored with the 9mm round, either will do, but the Sig's offer a bit more choice if you want something bigger and, in my view, better...357Sig, 40, and 45 are all readily available in Sig's lineup. I don't know if the 92 has the option of different calibers.

As to military acceptance, I'm one of those who found the choice of the 92 perplexing....I'd have preferred one of our domestic companies, and would also have kept the .45. Politics with our supposed allies certainly had something to do with the choice...YMMv, but I don't care. That said, the gun has worked out OK, I guess, but it's bigger than the 1911 and for females and small handed guys, it's more than a handful. Again, YMMv. About the only part of the switch over from the 1911, that I liked was the new holster and web belt assembly...I really like that Bianchi made holster (I think) rig for military use.

Lastly sights: Get tritium sights if you're seriously thinking of using the gun for defense after sundown....Again, I don't know if the 92 has that option, but all the Sigs do, and those sights are every bit as precise as a plain black post or the three painted-dots variety.

Were it me, I'd get the 226 if limited to the OP's choices...it's a great pistol, a bit smaller in the hand than the 92, and with a sterling LEO and Military Special Forces reputation. And get it in .40, a more substantial caliber with a far greater bullet weight selection. But a better choice is a P229, a substantially better concealment gun if you need to take it off the range, and is equally accurate (in my hands) as either the 92 or the 226. My version is the M11A1, a P229 in all but name, and chambered in that diminutive 9mm caliber.

YMMv, Rod

Last edited:
Back