Beretta 92FS vs. Sig P226

I have owned both. Both are awesome, iconic 9mm pistols. You can't go wrong either way.

The Beretta isn't THAT big and heavy, give me a break. It's lighter than the almighty 1911 that it replaced. Plus it isn't picky with ammo. It will chamber an empty case with no issue.

If you think the trigger pull is soooo bad, then God forbid you every have to fire a double action revolver. :rolleyes: Beretta 92s are about as smooth as you'll get with a service pistol.

15-18rd flush fit mags galore. I've had mine for 11 years, not one stoppage, bobble, FTF, FTE, stovepipe, etc. PERFECT. Oh and no my locking block hasn't shattered or the slide flown apart. Digests anything, and with the 5" barrel coupled with either 9BPLE or 127gr +P+ Winchesters, it nears .357SIG performance from a 4"> barrel.

The original P226s rusted out on the SEALS so they had to coat everything inside with phosphate (if I'm not mistaken...). They fixed the slide thing on the Beretta about 20 years ago, so enough of the "you'll get hit in the face with a slide" nonsense.

92FS with 115gr Federal 9BP std pressure load is about the most accurate service pistol I've ever fired. 10 and X all day long. Same with the P226.

The newer P226s don't look right with a rail, though I do like the Navy version with the symbol on the slide.

Can't go wrong with either one. Plus it isn't plastic. :D

I have both (9x19). I prefer the Beretta just because it works better for me. I do not think there is any meaningful difference between them--just personal preference and what works best for you.

I think that it really gets down to how they feel in your hand. Both are quality weapons.

Before the first Gulf War, I was getting ready to head to the sandbox in my AF Reserve unit. We still had S&W revolvers and I wanted something more. Soooo, off to the local fun stores. I handled virtually every semi-auto available 19 years ago.

I started with the Beretta since it is the military issue sidearm. It just didn't fit my hand, plain and simple. Oth, after many, many guns, I picked up a Sig and it was all over.

So, long story short, go with what feels the best, and, if price is an issue, why not look at a gently used pistol? I have four "new" used pistols including one that I carry daily and is 82 years old.

Grumpa

Sig P226 with tritium night sights, German manufactured:
100_0690.jpg

I may be mistaken but isn't both weapons in use by the US Military? While the M9 is the primary issued weapon, i believe some units also have M11's (Sig p228) (I know some infantry guys got them in Iraq and some of my friends who are with MP units right now have had them as well).

Edit: By M11 i meant Sig P228, sorry for the typo

One of my buddies in Afghanistan right now has used both, and a lot. He hasn't complained about either one. I've talked to him about the exact same topic, as I love both handguns equally. He said with as good of quality as both are, it's really all down to price, style, and features.

These are all excellent points.

I should clarify about "feeling better in my hand." I can manipulate the controls a little more easily on the Sig, though I have a little trouble getting to the controls on all guns with traditional levers - it isn't really the Beretta's fault. Other than that, they're about the same.

I am definitely more accurate with the Beretta, though I am pretty accurate with the Sig.

Believe it or not, I like the look of the Sig a little bit more.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Beretta. $500 vs. $750 is largely the reasoning at the moment. Price isn't a huge issue, but since they're really close already, it may just be the deciding factor.

The 92 FS has been a dilaster for the US Military (I am retired Navy). Their primary use is as a hammer. Slides routinely crack. FTFs and FTEs are routine:mad:

re

for non-combat use i believe its tit for tat - both are great pieces

i am sig prone (own a 226 shot on a regular basis) but i like the 92 just as much
for combat or service duty i'd give sig a slight edge on reliability but i will add a 92 to my collection without hesitation

i agree with others - get the one that FEELS right in your paw-thats hard to modify;)

The 92 FS has been a dilaster for the US Military

An opinion not very widely shared among those that know anything about the application of a handgun in a military context. I guess that's why, after over two decades of experience with the Beretta in combat deployment, that the foolish military just ordered a few thousand more of them. I'm not arguing that the military has a "pope" status (infallible) nor that there might not be a better pistol or two out there that's even better than the Beretta but to aver that the pistol has been a "disaster" flies in the face of all credible evidence. Get real, OldFool.

The reason for the purchase of the spaghetti shooter was/is completely political, and has/had nothing to do with the quality of the weapon/ammunition. The bozos in DC do not care about the efficiency or effacacy of the junk they buy for the military. They just cancelled the best fighter plane in the world (F-22) and killed the second source for F-35 engines.
The beretta is a ridiculous, cheap, ineffective weapon. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was issued a SIG P226 in The Army. The pistol was very reliable and easy to operate and maintain. When time is a precious comodity, being able to quickly and easily fieldstrip and clean with a simple inline Browning action can mean a lot. I also found that the P226 was quite accurate and much quicker to bring into action from Condition 2 than the "M9" I got to use in Wpns Fam (very important when you are going through a sixth story window). Also, 20 round magazines... yup, 20 round magazines. :D

The reason for the purchase of the spaghetti shooter was/is completely political, and has/had nothing to do with the quality of the weapon/ammunition. The bozos in DC do not care about the efficiency or effacacy of the junk they buy for the military. They just cancelled the best fighter plane in the world (F-22) and killed the second source for F-35 engines.
The beretta is a ridiculous, cheap, ineffective weapon.

My Uncle brought home a 1911 from Vietnam. This thing rattles like baby toy, and it looks like it had been at Iwo Jima. Military guns are abused far more than the original poster indicates he wants to use his for, and the Beretta 92 is one of the most tested weapons ever, being issued to the US military, as well as countless police departments. Statements like yours are just dumb. What did you even do in the Navy? Not many pistol rounds being fired downrange by Navy guys (at least compared to other service branches).

As for me, I own THREE Beretta 92's. Never a malfunction of any kind, and thet feel like they were made to sit in my hand. I am deadly accurate with them, as well. I owned a 226 once, and it was nice, but the manual of arms is backwards when compared to my 92's and 3rd gen S&W's. I sold it for another 92. And the cost of them does not justify their purchase. They should not be $200 more than the 92.

And I get the feeling you're still bitter about the 1911 losing the contract. Your screen name kind of gives it away.

I previously owned 2 separate P226's....since sold.

My Beretta 92FS has never had a single failure of any kind whatsoever in countless brands and/or types of 9mm ammunition....wish I could say the same for each of the Sig's I've owned in the past. In additon, the 92FS I currently have was more accurate then either of the Sigs. Granted, the 92FS isn't your most ideal CARRY pistol...nor did I purchase it expecting it to be.

beretta

I had both Beretta 92 and SIG 226.

Ended up selling the Sig and kept the Beretta. maybe I got a lemon but the 226 wasn't that reliable but the built quality was good. Either way my 92 has always been 100% and quality is great too! :)

I sold my 226 after it went back to Exeter NH 3 times for a slide stop issue. It was the 2nd most accurate pistol I have shot (1st was a CZ 75).

I have shot many different 92's. They tend to be hard to CCW but great guns. Sounds like the 92 would work for you.

I think I might go buy one as well (92 that is).

Last edited:
I've used both the Beretta 92FS and the Sig P226. Probably over 2000 rounds through each. I have never carried either of them for CCW.

My opinions on them:

I have small hands (size 7 surgical gloves). That being said, the 226 fits my hands much better than the Beretta does. The Beretta is much more rectangular in cross section in the frame area between the trigger and the backstrap. I can shoot both well, but I shoot the Sig better when I am shooting fast vs. just slow fire at a target. It's easier to hold on to and I don't tend to lose my grip.

To me that's the big difference between the two. The safeties are different but handling that is simply training in my opinion. Both guns have okay-ish triggers (when compared to the gold standard of a 1911) and their accuracy is again pretty good. I'd say that each brand is just as good as the other accuracy wise.

If I had to choose between the 226 or the 92FS, I'd either choose a 220 with a SAO trigger group OR if I really wanted to carry that large of a pistol in 9mm I'd buy an X-Five, as it's the only 9mm Sig that they make with an SAO trigger group (unless Sig just popped out a 9mm SAO 226, in which case kindly point me in that direction so I CAN BUY ONE LOL).

The only downside to the X-Five besides it's size is it's cost. Other than that, there are no downsides.

DA/SA, DAO, striker fired pistols and any other automatic handgun that isn't carried in "condition one" exist because it's too expensive to correctly train large numbers of people to operate SAO handguns in a safe and effective manner in high stress environments. So we have 'safety guns' like the Glock because they're simpler to operate under stress instead of being the absolute best tool for the job.

In the same post? Really? I've easily put 3500 rounds through my Beretta 96 without a problem and apparently the platform can't handle the .40S&W, or so I've heard. Do you have a source for all that useful information?
Try reading the OP's post, then read mine. Perhaps then you'll see the comedic value.

Also, you posted after my post showing my M9 so obviously I do own one.

Post back after you follow my suggestion above and feel free to commend me on my wit. :D

For what it’s worth , I have both : a 226 in .40 with a BarSto 9mm conversion barrel and a recent production 92FS in 9mm. To date, I have no problems with either, though I’m mulling over mods to the Beretta (G decocker, mainly).”
Both guns have been 100%, so it comes down to feel. While I’m good with both, your mileage may vary. Try them both, and find out where your comfort level is...

Back