Bad Info From the Gun Shop Guy?

Cheapshooter says:

I more recently overheard a gun counter "genius", middle aged this time, telling a customer he needed a 45 for concealed carry because unlike a 9MM the 45 would "Knock a man down even if you only hit him in the finger".

:)
Maybe knock that finger down!! Probably separate it from the hand. ha:eek:

Joe

I more recently overheard a gun counter "genius", middle aged this time, telling a customer he needed a 45 for concealed carry because unlike a 9MM the 45 would "Knock a man down even if you only hit him in the finger".
That seems to be accepted knowledge among the lay folk.

I had a fun one during the 2013 AR-15 shortage. A young guy came in looking for a rifle. He was frustrated by the short supply and high prices of Stoner's little poodle shooter on the secondary market.

Was it for plinkiing or home defense? No? Then why not get a .30-30 or a good bolt gun? They're way cheaper, and he can spend what he saves on ammo and a good scope.

Then I said the worst thing possible in a store full of panicky people...

"You don't need an AR-15 for deer hunting."

In the context of that specific conversation with that specific person, it was a perfectly sensible utterance. To the ears of onlookers...oh, I thought they were going to pull out pitchforks and torches. I was a "Fudd." I was a traitor to the 2nd Amendment. Yowza.

Tom Servo said:
I had a fun one during the 2013 AR-15 shortage. A young guy came in looking for a rifle. He was frustrated by the short supply and high prices of Stoner's little poodle shooter on the secondary market.

Was it for plinkiing or home defense? No? Then why not get a .30-30 or a good bolt gun? They're way cheaper, and he can spend what he saves on ammo and a good scope.

In the context of that specific conversation with that specific person, it was a perfectly sensible utterance. To the ears of onlookers...oh, I thought they were going to pull out pitchforks and torches. I was a "Fudd." I was a traitor to the 2nd Amendment. Yowza.

:D

This is like something out of an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm

Lucky I wasn't there. Would've started yelling out founding father quotes and planted a Gadsden flag in the middle of the shop.

It would have been equally true if you had said, "You don't need a gun for deer hunting."
Wonder what the reaction from the folks in that store would have been then.

Guns are unsporting. I use the ligaments of a squirrel who died of natural causes to fashion a slingshot and hunt deer with petrified acorns and the occasional chunk of limestone.

Guns are unsporting. I use the ligaments of a squirrel who died of natural causes to fashion a slingshot and hunt deer with petrified acorns and the occasional chunk of limestone.

Wow! Never thought I would find someone that uses the exact same methods that I do. :eek:

Way to represent! :cool:

Gun shops are very "funny" about lying, I mean informing you on good guns. Their job is to sell you what the distributors are selling them for the cheapest. I've had a small ffl talk to me for hours about how he cannot stand kimber. I can't disagree with him just on my and a friend's experience with kimber but they did resolve the problem very discreetly. Anyhow a few weeks later he has some kimbers in stock and I asked what's the deal with that. He says they're fine, he doesn't have any problems with them. Lol. Next week he doesn't have any and says they would be his last choice. A gun shop owner just yesterday told me kimbers are great they haven't had any problems with them just as the gun smith says kimbers are built awesome, he said he's repaired alot of them and they're just great lol. Gun shops are fun shops for sure. I don't think it's just young guys that are the problem. I think it's money hungry people taking advantage of people not researching and who are new to guns. Sorry for the tangent.

I have been frustrated by as many old salespeople as young ones. I haven't found the ones at independent shops to be reliably more knowledgeable than at big box stores.
One of the reasons the only local store I buy from now is one who is extremely happy to do transfers for me.

bad advise

Yes it happens to me all of the time. Go in to a store and someone that claims to know about guns or ammo makes a story up to get you to either spend more money or buy something that you would not be happy with owning.

bad advise

Yea and most of the time but not all the time I have a feeling that the "expert" has never held or even seen the item that is being talked about

IMO there is no such thing as a gun that is safe or unsafe, unless there is something wrong with the firearm itself. A gun doesn't become a dangerous weapon until someone picks it up and uses it. BTW, you made a good choice when you bought the P07, I own the P09 and love it.

Read this post yesterday and later had occasion to go to Wallymart for some items. Stopped by the sporting goods dept and asked if they had any rimfire ( probably the only guy in a year to ask for that!) and received a quick "no" but also an immediate rant on the Gov buying all the rimfire, .223 and they were not shooting but destroying it to prohibit individuals from "their second amendment". I beat a hasty retreat.....

I've found the LGSes where I frequented around Chicago and now Atlanta all have pretty good sales people who know their stuff.

I've also found more bad info being provided by posters on internet gun forums.
Perhaps just a wider circle on the internet. :(

Back