Bad Info From the Gun Shop Guy?

I've had great and terrible experiences with gun shop employees, which is not surprising as I've had the exact same range of experiences with pretty much every retail field. If I had to pick one quality that separates a good salesman from a bad one, it's that the good ones actually listen to the customer. They might disagree, they might think the customer is being foolish, but they will listen and try to help the customer to the best of their abilities. It's a tough balance to strike, but the truly great ones will find a way to politely disagree and point out other options while still respecting their wishes.

One thing I will say, though: with only a few notable exceptions, most gun shop salesmen have no idea how to sell to women. I've gone gun shopping with women before, and the level of condescension and general wrongheadedness can be breathtaking. They do things like pushing a revolver for its 'simplicity' even if she's an experienced semi-auto shooter, and then specifically push a featherweight .357 for 'stopping power' even if she says specifically that she's recoil sensitive.

...last trip to a local store...went in looking for a Glock 22 mag to use as a spare range mag for my G23...

Me to salesman: "You have any G22 magazines? I need a larger spare for my G23."

Salesman: "If you need that many extra rounds for your Glock 23 you'll already be dead by the time you get to reload that bigger magazine."

Me (extremely puzzled look on my face): "I want the larger capacity spare for the practice range...not necessarily planning for a fire fight today...I'm going shooting this weekend."

Expert retorts: "God, who gets to practice anymore? Can't afford to practice...save every bullet for emergencies nowadays..."

:eek:

It sounds to me like a very lame attempt at being humorous

I'd never question why someone wants what they say they want if it's something as simple as a spare mag

I did question a customer when he told me he wanted a 300 Wby Mag because "the gun I have now won't kill a deer"

It turns out he already had a 257 Wby Mag.

I didn't tell him my much weaker 6 mm Remington had no problem killing deer

I just showed him the 300 Wby

Years ago i was looking to get myself a 30-06 and i price them and my dad at the time was alive and we went to a gun shop that we normal go to and ask the the behind the counter if he had any, he told me yes and I was looking for a pump one.he told me about the 7600 he had and show it to me it had a scope on it .It was not a cheap one also and the mount was not also.i ask him what was worng with the gun because when you pump it it was still like new ,he told me that it was the owner that had it.I got the gun and a sling and a box of ammo for it.took it out to the sand pits to try it out to see how it shoots and till this day I did not had to mess with the scope.it is dead on center.I had my gunsmith clean it for me and he told me that he did not know that the one that made the scope had made them and he said it was not a cheap one also.Still got that gun and make some good hunting.Some will always think they will need a gun bigger then they really need.I got the 06 because of the different ammo you can use in it and shoot all i look to hunt and also reload my own and cast also.Some dose not have a clue

Not bad info, but this drives me nuts... the gun shop guy that likes to unholster his gun. There is no practical reason to take it out. I have never asked for a demonstration of the specific gun/holster compatibility and the place has never been robbed while I was there. Just showing off, and it makes me uneasy.

I approve of g.willikers' message. Treat every customer as if they were you. It's a variation of the golden rule. Don't insult or talk down to a customer. I've had salesmen who didn't know my background talk down to me. They didn't get a sale.

I've helped behind a counter and I always tried to find out as much as I could to help determine what would work best for them too. I'd offer my suggestion as to what might meet their needs as well as my opinion as to why I didn't they what they were looking at was optimal for them. In the end, make the customer feel welcomed, respected and if they are open to it, some insights they may not have considered. When it came to a sale, I'd call the owner over to do the transaction (I didn't like touching other people's money or a store's cash register).

.458 Win Mag. is not enough. Ask the guy who insisted on a .460 Weatherby Magnum for MD deer, which are about the same size as GA deer.

But why is that any more ridiculous than the guys who insist that nothing less than .454 Casull is enough for self defense?

Jim

O yeah I have plenty of experiences with idiots behind the gun counter. At both chain stores such as academy and such and also at a few private owned independent gun stores also. I hate it when they try hard to talk you out of the gun that you go in to get for B.S. Reasons just because they are a fanboy of another brand. I was in a chain gun store one time buying some hog hammer ammo for my 300 Blackout and the worker who got the ammo out the back for me got to talking about the 300 BO and eventually told me that the bullet would drop after 100 yards and he was trying to convince me of that. But I have had that gun sighted in dead on at 190 yards since I have bought it. Plus just a few days ago I took a free handed standing shot at a coyote 280 yards away and I dropped the coyote DRT with one shot from my S&W M&P 15 with a 130 grain hog hammer. So I guess the GS guy was right that this gun ain't no good past 100 yards.:rolleyes:. I know that a. 300 BO is far from a long range caliber but come on 100 yards????? Also I have had several GS guys argue with me about the interchangeability of Glock magazines.

most of the bix box stores around here have some morons working the counters. Had a guy tell me if i wanted to dry fire a handgun i had to keep the empty magazine in to protect the firing pin.

The 22 LR has 140 ft. lbs ME which is twice what a 25 auto has....that's why the NAA 22 mini revolver is wayyy better than any 25 auto. Yes I actually heard a counter jockey telling a woman that line. When I pointed out that the ME figure is from a rifle he said it doesn't matter....pistol or rifle it is the same.

Fortunately the lady saw the looks several other folks on my side of the counter were giving and she figured out who the idiot was and left shortly thereafter.....about the same time I was leaving.

The shop in question wasn't around about a year later when I was in that neck of the woods again.

In one shop I worked at we had a very successful salesman. His secret was to sell the customer what he wanted or thought he wanted. Things usually went something like this:

Customer: "I want to go elephant hunting. Is this gun here good for that?
Salesman: "That is a .25 Colt auto pistol, and yes, sir, it will be just fine for elephants."
Customer: "I'll take it. Now is that one beside it good for Cape Buffalo?"
Salesman: "Sure is; that is an RG-10, one of the most powerful guns ever made."
Customer: "OK, I'll take that, too. Now I heard that a .460 Weatherby Magnum is just right for squirrels. Is that true?"
Salesman; "Sure is. Shall I wrap that one up along with some ammo?"
Customer: "Yep, I'll take a couple of hundred shells for that .460 so I can practice a lot. Here is my credit card."

Too bad we didn't sell twin .40mm cannons. They would have been perfect for rabbits.

Jim

I think I will win this contest

Browsing at the local G---er Mt this afternoon. Middle aged gentleman had been given a very nice cap and ball reproduction and was buying powder and a little "starter kit". I swear I did not mean to get involved, but hearing some of the things he was being told, well, I had to. Man asked how much powder to put in. Clerk explained the need to weigh each charge, so he needed to buy a scale. Man asked where to buy a scale. Clerk suggested, I swear to God, to go to any of the local gas/convience stores run by the Indians (East Indians he clarified). Said they all sell little drug scales cheap and that he could use one of those to weigh the charge. That's when I had to speak up and pulled the powder measure from his package. I started explaining how it worked when the kid took it from my hands, unlocked it, and showed the gentleman how is was marked, with the marks indicating the different calibers. Clerk proceeds to set the measure for 44 caliber, telling the man that would be the correct setting, since his gun was a 44 caliber. I took the handbook from the gun box and looked up the charge. Max. charge - 35gr. I don't feel guilty about getting involved.

I am sure there are many more "dumb" customers than clerks.
All I'll say is that I've never seen a clerk point a loaded gun at a customer, though I've seen the opposite take place more than once...

I have seen both, more than once.
The difference is, the customer is not being paid, and is not expected to be knowledgeable. If he is ignorant or obnoxious, ask him to leave. Done.

When the clerk is ignorant or deceptive, that is a problem, for both the customer and for the business. Especially for the business, because he will interact with (and drive off) many potential customers.

Fortunately, we have gun forums where nobody ever gets bad information, and we only ever get measured, balanced opinions respectful of differing viewpoints rather than fanboys...

Fortunately, we have gun forums where nobody ever gets bad information, and we only ever get measured, balanced opinions respectful of differing viewpoints rather than fanboys...
Thanks!
That's the funniest thing I've seen in days

Independent George said:

I chuckled at this...

But in all seriousness, as someone who has lurked here for years, and posted for a few months, the quality of advice on this forum is, on average, not only some of the best I've seen in the firearms community, but probably the best I've seen on any internet forum. There is plenty of bad info too, but the amount of quality info more than makes up for it.

In terms of getting bad info from gun shops, I think it has a lot to do with the culture of the individual gun shop. Obviously, every gun shop has both good and bad employees. But I've noticed that some gun stores almost always give me good advice and vice-versa.

There's one gun shop in Louisville, which I won't name, for obvious reasons, where the staff consistently press you with their unwanted and often unfounded opinions. It's not nearly as bad as what most of you have described in this thread, but I just know that every time I go into this store I'm going to get some unwanted comment.

For example, before I bought my LCP I went into this store to try it out and compare it to some similar models. I didn't plan on buying a gun there, but I wasn't just wasting their time because I did, and usually do, purchase a large amount of ammo from them (they do have SOLID deals on ammo that are sweetened by the fact that they usually come with some very nice ammo cans). I tried out different models but when I asked to hold the TCP, the clerk just shook his head at me:

"Don't buy a Taurus."

I responded to him, "Seriously?"

"Just don't do it."

And even though, in retrospect, I agree with him, it was annoying that he all-but refused to show me the gun. It wasn't a big deal and I would still recommend this gun shop (if nothing more than for their ammo selection) but it was bad salesmanship and a little bit rude.

On the other hand, one local gun store that I love, which I have bought most of my pistols from, is Sherwood's Guns. I've never actually been to their store, but I usually can't avoid buying from them at every gun show. First of all, their prices are excellent, as good as I've seen at any online retailer. But also, the staff, is super helpful and just pleasant to talk to. I've never received bad advice or unneeded, mean-spirited, comments from any of their staff.

When I bought my LC9s I was agonizing over whether to buy the LC9s, the Glock 42, or the Shield. As I was racking my brain, one of the staff, who was not even helping me at the time but just happened to be listening in, says "Get the LC9s, it's a sweet little gun. We only have two left."

Now, to me, this was a great piece of advice for two reasons:

1. He was right. The LC9s is an excellent little pistol.

2. It showed that he was willing to place the customer's needs over the motives of the gun store. It was only the second day of the gun show, and he could have easily steered me towards a less popular option to save the remaining LC9s' for other customers that were sure to want them (and thus get rid of some less desirable inventory that might not sell out).

I just really appreciated that he would encourage me to move quickly, knowing the gun would sell out anyways, when I hadn't even made my mind up to by that specific pistol. He seemed to honestly believe it was the best choice and wanted to steer me in the right direction.

Now, the skeptical might suggest that this was just a sales tactic and I think that's a reasonable supposition. However, if it was a tactic, it was a very slickly executed one, because, before I had even finished the paperwork for my LC9s, another gentleman came up and bought their final LC9s. I feel confident in using the word "final" because, at that point, an employee removed the display gun from the case.

This wasn't my first or only good experience with this store, but it's the one that really made an impression on me. I will definitely continue to give them as much of my business as I can, at least until their prices stop being competitive or their service stops being good.

And that's what it's really all about, providing an experience that creates loyal customers. People can argue that it's petty to get annoyed by bad service, and that's a fair argument, but at the end of the day, gun stores that provide bad service will lose business as a result and gun stores that provide good service will likely flourish (barring other mismanagement).

If you're selling an elastic product, you simply cannot pooh-pooh your customers and expect to succeed.

I chuckled at this...

But in all seriousness, as someone who has lurked here for years, and posted for a few months, the quality of advice on this forum is, on average, not only some of the best I've seen in the firearms community, but probably the best I've seen on any internet forum. There is plenty of bad info too, but the amount of quality info more than makes up for it.

Oh, I definitely agree - there's a reason I still post here instead of one of the many other forums I started reading when I first got into guns. Calguns is also excellent, but I don't live in CA and frankly it gets a little depressing to read about the BS they have to live with. Still, I think we've all been been on forums where the chatter was... let's just call it sub-optimal.

I was originally going to make a joke about how on the internet, you can solicit advice from one of the 24 million retired Navy SEALs that are apparently floating around posting on gun forums, but that does seem to be less prevalent these days.

I was thinking the same think. No matter you you post you'll get as many opinions as you have posters. When somebody posts with the title "question for experts" I just bust out laughing because that title just draws a response from everybody whether they know anything or not.

Back