Are .22 pistols fun to shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for shooting a 22 at a range as much as I do just plinking with one at cans, pine cones and such. Shoot, I'm old enough to remember when we shot glass bottles and such with them, and didn't think anything about it.

That doesn't mean they're not much fun to shoot at a range. Just not as much fun.

Mister cane, in a word, yes. You can use BB or pellet guns, but they lack the excitement of an actual firearm. they go 'pop'.

you can bore yourself to death with one, or create a challenge. It's best if you make things fun, but not too simple. Even my cat can hit the litter box most of the time, would it be interesting to just shoot holes in a metal bucket at twenty feet and never miss?

The reason that a suppressed .22 is more fun to some people is that they are practically silent under some situations. When hunting, they don't disturb game. A friend sometimes baits starlings to the area around his rural home, he has a suppressed .22 rifle that he pops them off with. Sometimes they don't even jump from the pile of seed and he keeps on shooting.

I love shooting my 22's and I'm 48 years old. These guns are perfect for general plinking at steel targets or just cans. They are great for grand kids. They are also great for hunting small game. As cheap to shoot as can be. I say you should get a least one 22 for your home you'll always have a place for it.

Very poor timing

My LGS had some semi commercial 4 Ruger 10/22 barrel and action Aluminum contraption and rotating trigger to make a quasi Gattling gun.... low low cost of $900...YOU BUY the 4 Ruger 10/22s.....

Poor timing???....eat ammo machine was on display early Obama and the store had ZERO 22 ammo for sale at any price

still want one but too damned cheap

I love my 22's. I shot rifles for years and only started shooting pistols in the last five years. I can't tell you just how much shooting a 22 pistol helped me learn to shoot my 9mm and .45 better. I Have two High Standard Victors and a Smith 41 the only time they get boring is when you set back at 15 yards and shoot them thru the same hole.

My next purchase is gonna be another 22lr. I'm planning to roll my Remington rebate into a S&W M&P 22 compact. It'll be the 3rd 22 in my collection. I'll need 1 more pistol and 2 more 22 rifles to ensure that each of my kids will have 1 rifle and 1 pistol in 22 caliber after I leave this world. Hopefully with some fond memories attached.

K-frame S&W Model 17 for targets and an 8-shot stainless J-frame Model 63 for general usage. No need for a suppressor, just get a brick of Colibri ammo (20gr, primer-only, 420 fps) or Super Colibri (590 fps) and plink away quietly on the cheap.

Are girls soft, and smell good? Is coffee good in the morning? Is color TV better than black and white?

The answer for this and the original topic question is "not always but most of the time, yes".

There are some lower-quality or less-than-reliable .22 pistols out there. The double-action trigger pull can be rougher with rimfire. Those two issues can run concurrently in some guns. So do yourself a favor. Find a pretty girl in good health, decent beans you can grind at home, the better shows from any given era, and a high-quality rimfire pistol.

The only thing more fun than a 22 is a soft good smelling girl who enjoys kissing you.

The real trick is finding a soft, good-smelling girl who enjoys kissing you and shooting with you.

I only own a couple centerfires now.
My single six is my favorite gun to shoot.
I'd recommend not cheaping out on the 22s though. Spend decent money on them. The cheap ones are bad. My $150 M1 Carbine imitation is an absolute waste of ammo.

???????

What do you consider fun?

Fun, natural fun.

[que B-52s song]

If you consider fun to be:
  • a very loud noise
  • The feeling of the pressure wave passing through your body
  • a sharp pressure in your wrist every shot.
  • the higher likelyhood of developing a serious 'flinch' when firing.
  • a sharp pain in your wallet for every 50 rounds fired
then. NO, a .22lr handgun is NOT fun.

If you consider fun to be:
  • the pleasure of working on skill development,
  • hitting your target,
  • introducing new shooters to the sport,
  • being able to shoot 100 to 200 rounds for the same cost as 9mm, .45acp or .357mag ammo [mainstream- no steel cased stuff],
  • having no discomfort from shooting until you've shot all 500 rounds of a brick in one outing [due to your arm being tired from holding you hand out with a 2 pound weight on the end]
  • Having money left over for other projects.

Well, then a .22lr pistol is fun.

Some want a .500S&W or .454Casul for fun.

I sometimes shoot my .44mag for fun.

But, I have more 'smiles per dollar' with .22lr than any other caliber pistol.

your mileage may vary.

I should add that my daughter who has certain issues won't even get out of my car if I am firing a larger firearm. This fragile little girl will, however, lay my .22 rifle over a bench, and fire a whole box of rounds at her plastic prairie dog target. After a while, she started making head shots, and darned near cut the things head off before I found out.

Are .22 pistols fun to shoot?

No, because of the severe recoil they are extremely punishing to shoot.

Seriously? All of my range days, be they indoors or outdoors include a .22 caliber rifle or pistol. It's like taking pure enjoyment to the range. What is not to enjoy in a 22 caliber gun?

Ron

Get a 22 pistol and put a 22 silencer on it and its pure gold to shoot. IMHO nothing more fun this side of a 50BMG!

Seems to be a talent of the OP. Intended, or not.:D
Is it odd that a new shooter (less than a year) would ask about different types of calibers? I'm sorry I haven't been shooting for 20 years. The answers I got in this thread were actually helpful and more than answered my question. I don't get why you would want to discourage new shooters, intended or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back