Are .22 pistols fun to shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For pure fun I utilize 2 platforms. 22lr for cost and ease of use and shotgun for cost and destructive capabilities.
When I think of plinking, 22lr is the 1st thing that comes to mind.

Ricklin beat me to it! :)

But, yeah. I own many dozens of handguns. My K22 Masterpiece and Browning Buck Mark are the only two that go to the range every time. The others have to rotate between the other four spots. (I only bring six at a time.)

Single six is always in my gun case. Looking at adding a semiauto pistol to the herd soon.
Funny tho, it seems I'm having more fun nowadays shooting 22 rifles than pistols and may have to put the semiauto 22 on hold in lieu of a 22lr Savage bolt action.

No, seriously boring guns . . .

No. 22 are seriously boring guns. All nine of mine are boring, boring, boring.
My Ruger 22/45 is boring.
My Henry Lever action is boring.
My Stevens bolt action with scope is boring.
My Mossberg Plinkster with scope is boring.
The kids Cricket is boring.
My PT -22 is boring.
My Buckmark Contour is boring.
My Heritage single six is boring.
My Ruger 10/22 is way boring.
And . . .
I have almost 8000 rounds of boring in my ammo cabinet.

Life is good.
Prof Young

.22 is not my favorite caliber in a semi auto or a revolver....that would be a 9mm in 1911's and .357 mag in N frame S&W revolvers...( or K, L frames too )..

I think .22 is a little boring too...so mostly I use mine ( model 617 and 18 s&w revolvers, a conversion kit for a 1911...and a tricked out browning buckmark by tactical solutions barrel, rail, red dot, etc...../ the buckmark gets a lot of use by young grandkids...

But yes, if you don't have a good one...you should pick one up.

22's are absolutely fun to shoot.
And they use to be a lot cheaper to shoot years ago.. ammo has went up, it's come back down but still a lot higher than it use to be.

Everyone should have a 22 handgun and 22 rifle.

Nearly no recoil, quiet (for a unsuppressed firearm), still one of the cheapest calibers.

Hitting target dead-center each and every time you pull the trigger.

Well, I think I know what you mean, but, to not let the beginners get confused...

A perfect score in the rimfire portion of a Precision Pistol Match would be 900-90x. No one, in the 114 year history has accomplished such a feat.

22.cals are more than just fun. I personally view them as a necessary tool for training. Most especially for the Point and shoot training that I have done for decades. I rarely shoot target style. The 22.cal are a huge benefit for quick eye muscles, hand/arm to target acquisition.
Most especially with the small barrel guns that I carry every day. I also shoot a lot of BB/Pellet Pistols.
When the ammo shortage hit, I really hit the BB/Pellet guns. Shot thousands or rounds of ammo. I have a nice range with all kinds of target in the backyard. Fast shooting, and drawing. Throwing a Can in the air and quickly hitting it etc.
After the ammo shortage I came back and shot better than I ever had with my Powder burners. TRAIN THOSE RELFEX'S AND EYE MUSCLES!

Another vote for Yes. Great fun.
At the risk of derailing the main idea.....22s boring? Well, whatever floats your boat but
“boring” I really and truly do not understand. What would make a gun boring? The idea that any gun could be boring just does not compute for me.
Maybe in another thread?

Humm.... I would love to own a suppressor for my only threaded barrel 22/45 Ruger lite

BUT the wait and cost... and the fun I have..... forced me to just buy another 22 Pistol for cheap... a Ruger MKIII the owner only fired one mag in and had such a hard time with the tear down he immediately traded it away... grin...... mine for $150

I am currently searching around for all the bits to "build" a 10/22 rifle cheaply for the Exceedingly cheap ($30) 18" barrel I have in the closet

I have about 2 dozen various caliber rifles and hand guns... but for day to day fun...I poke a LOT of 22 ammo out of a variety of barrels... most always a grin...that is util I finally deplete some of the more DIRTY ammo... then a PITA for cleaning

Wishlist

A suppressor is next on the list to add to the most fun to shoot .22.

No coincidence that the most represented caliber in my accumulation (not collection) is the .22

2 pistols, and one revolver on the handgun side.

A 10/22 and a Walther G22 on the long gun side. Love the G22 other than the cruddy trigger. It seems perfect to host a suppressor thanks to the bullpup design and the raised off the bore sights and scope.
My G22 is a tack driver. Hard to beat it's short length with the 20" barrel.
The 10-22 is one of the full stock models, I bought it for my bride, who then insisted on a scope:confused: it's such a sweet trim little thing, but hey peace at home is a good thing.

I do love me some .22's

All guns are fun to shoot. It's a matter of degrees. I used to enjoy 22LR but the last 2 ammo shortages got me shooting 9 & 40 and never really went back to 22LR. The only time I like 22LR is when I'm using one of my 10/22's to cut down targets like 2x4's, and I do mean cut down. It's a blast sawing a 2x4 down with gunfire.

If 9mm got down to 0.10 a round, I'd probably never shoot 22LR again.

American 180

I have always had a powerful desire for an American 180.
It's the only full auto that I can (barely) afford to feed. Or at least I'd like to think so.
I suppose it does not have to be an American 180, I just don't see any other full auto options in .22 caliber. Full auto AR15 lower could be an option as well.

Ahh, just dreams. Too darn much money. Have seen some crank fired 10-22's like two of em side by side that do look like fun.

A 22 is how I learned to shoot-and many others as well. And I don't feel guilty about discarding the the brass.

22 is fun. It is more fun when chasing cans across the ground (pick up trash when done). If I go to the range to shoot carry guns or large bore rifles there is always a couple of 22's with me. Just plain fun. I will admit during the 22 shortage I shot just as much. I had a stockpile just in case. I still have a stockpile just in case. 22 is getting cheaper I would suggest buying it and stocking it deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back