Anyone like Savage 99's???

The not accurate rumor may be from trying one out with only one brand of ammo. I have had and used quite a few, and some can be finicky when it comes to ammo type. I still have a .243 that shoots 6"-8" groups at 100 yards with Winchester and Federal ammo. Remington brings it right in. My .358 does not like Winchester ammo either.

TBH I've never been a fan of lever action guns, but looking at a few Savage 99s, I'm starting to enjoy the look.

Not sure I'll ever get a lever action but if I do...........:cool:

I always heard 99's were not very accurate..but the ones I have shot seemed to group very well....

I've heard the same thing about their accuracy.
However my old 300 Savage proved that wrong, it would shoot groups less then a inch at 100 yards.
As I said earlier I sure took a lot of deer with that old gun and most were running shots.
One of my most memorial running shots with the old 99 was a buck that was bounding through a bean field at a good 200 yards, drilled him right through the neck.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I had been looking for an old model 94 for some time when I went into my local shop many months ago and saw an unusual lever action on the shelf. I had no idea what a Savage 99 was, but it was in about 98% condition and chambered in 300 Savage. It had such beautiful case colors I had to have it! Paid $380 for it and found out later it was an RS made in 1953 with the Redfield peep sight. First trip to the range I was hitting 18" metal plates every time at 225 yards off sandbags. Love this rifle!
IMG_3507.JPG

Last edited:
99F

Hello,i am new here but looks like i came to the right place to learn. I was looking up about the Savage 99 and it brought me here. I just traded a man for some rifles and pistols and one rifle is a model 99F Savage in .308. I think it is a 57 year model. Interesting info here.
Thanks,Dave

I had been looking for an old model 94 for some time when I went into my local shop many months ago and saw an unusual lever action on the shelf. I had no idea what a Savage 99 was, but it was in about 98% condition and chambered in 300 Savage. It had such beautiful case colors I had to have it! Paid $380 for it and found out later it was an RS made in 1953 with the Redfield peep sight. First trip to the range I was hitting 18" metal plates every time at 225 yards off sandbags. Love this rifle!

Congradulations on a good find at a great price, you guys are killing me talking about all these great 99's.:)
Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Sav99takedown6mmBRcropped-1.jpg

This is a 1917 Sav99 250S take down.

I cut threads and chamber on a 6mmPPC take off barrel, and chambered for 6mmBR.

At ~ 80kpsi I shot half a dozen groups.
It has done 0.1" at 50 yards and 0.3" at 100 yards with a heavy trigger.

The problem is that it locks in the back, like a 303 Enfield or a MAS36.

The brass gets stretched.

I know what you are saying. My .243 gets "Sticky" extraction when I shoot some factory Winchester through it. It is just too hot for a rear locking rifle and you get receiver "Spring".

I've never owned or shot one, but I've handled a few in gun shops and I must admit that they intrigue me like not many guns do. I may have to have one someday.

I have a Savage 99F bought new in 1965 with the rotary magazine.
Its had maybe a hundred rounds out of it in 47 years, It is in mint condition blueing, walnut wood and checkering.
I only had the paper work that came with the gun out last week.
Savage says in the manual that came with the gun to load the magazine full to keep the gun balanced.
I will start using this again now that I am retired and give the Remington, Winchester and Weatherby rifles a rest.
Shame it laid in a gun safe for 47 years and just came out once a year for a cleaning and oiling.
Fred

I picked this one up before last Christmas....I have had several 99's but this one I think I'm gonna keep....I just now got it out and shot it....It shoots like a dream and its so slender and light

Nice Savage .30-30. I don't have one but I'd like to.

I have a Savage 99 that my Grandfather left to my Dad and my Dad left to me, I will never part with it until I pass and it goes to my son.
It is in 300 Savage caliber and does have a round counter in the side.

My Dad's Favorite Hunting Rifle

My Father recently passed away and left me several firearms ... This Savage .300 F was his very favorite of them. I noticed a hairline crack which can be seen in photo 001 (third) I am not sure if this can be repaired? Does this seriously effect the guns worth? I was told that the gun was in pristine condition not taking the crack into consideration by a good friend who knows a lot more about guns than I do. I thought someone here may give me an idea of it's worth and suggestions concerning the crack???

Attachments

• 99F_002.jpg
    99F_002.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 99F_005.jpg
    99F_005.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 99F_001.jpg
    99F_001.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 29
The hairlne crack shown is common in Savage 99s. Stock fitting at the factory was at the speed of the production line, workers grabbed finished wood stocks and bolted them to the barelled actions. Sometimems the fit was not perfect, and sometimes the wood compressed when the rifle was fired, as in this case. As the rifle is fired, the wood compresses at fitted areas, and in your case the tang has bottomed out in the inletting and is forcing its way through the wood. To fix the issue, the stock should be removed, the crack injected with epoxy then clamped. When cured, the tang needs to be relieved before the stock is reinstalled, otherwise the crack will continue to grow.

Back