Anyone like Savage 99's???

i took a few more pic,s of the 99 savage in 303, the bore is in ex. condition. its a 1903,serial 35740. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 1874.jpg
    Picture 1874.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture 1875.jpg
    Picture 1875.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture 1876.jpg
    Picture 1876.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 46
i took a few more pic,s of the 99 savage in 303, the bore is in ex. condition. its a 1903,serial 35740. eastbank.

Thanks for the additional pic's eastbank, it's definitely a rifle to be proud of.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter

i got 5 boxs of win 190gr silvertips from a friend who moves in the old ammo circles and lee dies, plus i have gotten alot of cases at flea markets and gun shows(some were norma). i load with 170gr 30-30 bullets at 1900fps. i don,t shoot it very much tho,5-10 rounds a year on sunny days and i have never killed any thing with it,but i think it would be a hoot to get a deer with it. i have tried to get better pic,s of the engraving on the reciever. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 1880.jpg
    Picture 1880.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Picture 1881.jpg
    Picture 1881.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 31
OK, my bad...

That's actually a Lyman 1B tang sight.

I can't tell what the front sight might be... how about a close up of it? Side and face?

Chances are a gun that fancy is going to also have a special order front sight.

Octagonal barrel was a standard offering at that time...

OK, I think I found your gun in a reprint 1905 catalog.

A little hard to tell, but the engraving pattern certainly has the Grade AB pattern.

Interestingly, though, the checkering pattern appears to be more like the Savage Leader (next step up).

Apparently you could part and parcel just about everything back then.

In 1905 your rifle would have cost:

Octagon barrel - $39.00
Fancy English Walnut - $5.00 (although that could be American black walnut, but would be the same price)
Pistol Grip - $2.50
No. 1B sight - $3.00
Front sight (est.) - $1.00

Estimated total, $50.50 in 1905, or roughly $1,200 in 2010 dollars.

I initially said up to $2,000 if you were to sell it today... I think you could, in the right auction, realize close to double that.

Just replying to the thread title, Yes I like the Savage 99..
Just have not added one to my collection yet, its on the list but will take a while to get to it. If one of you older guys want to will me yours I will greatfully and respectfully accept it. :)

Viciouskitty:

If you go the rebarrel route, careful to check feeding first. The rotor and cartridge cut- off could get you into trouble. Sometimes they work out O.K., other times not. I went from .303 to 7-30 W, .303 to .250 Savage with no feed problems other than the counter numbers not lining up. I picked up a complete receiver (Someone cut the barrel off!) and went to .22 Hi-Power. I had to replace some parts there. I think it may have been a 38-55 or 32-40. It had the cocking indicator in the bolt and was in the 80,000 range. Anyway it gave me a lot of trouble to get it feeding right and spare parts are hard to come by now.

Abel-

Graf & Sons has .303 brass, although I never tried it. I bought some Norma (They have been making it for a couple years) and have reloaded it many times. I also use a 30-30 load for it. I have killed one deer with a .303, no big deal, it is like a 30-30. It is a good thing someone started making brass for .303's before they all were converted to something else.

My gr. gr. uncle was a gun collector..he passed a .303 Octigon down, a .300 with a .410 barrel (both round) and a 250-3000. My idiot brother sold the 250-3000 but still have the others. Still shoot and reload them. My dad has bad eyes so we put a scope on the .303 years ago and I passed the .300 onto my youngest son just the other day and took him out shooting. I sure wish over the years I would have jumped on every one I saw for sale for a few hundred. I even have a bunch of new old stock bullets that I load every so often and the orignal book that came with the .303..I believe off of memory that he gave like $28 dollars for that gun new. I have about 10 guns passed down from him and even thought I like shooting a 30-40 Krag that he had sporterised I by far love those 99's.

Most under appreciated classic American rifle! Now that Savage is back on it's feet and in demand wouldn't it be great if they brought it back! Eastbank, that is truly a beautiful rifle, I have an A in 308 and a C in 7mm08.

I think its the greatest lever ever made

It was ahead of its time, and was cheaper than a Winchester. It was and still is a great gun. I've owned 3, and let them all go because they were 300 sav. I would rather have one in a different chambering, or one like eastbank posted (what a beautiful rifle btw) a common cal that had something else special. I sold the one in the bottom 2 photos, and traded the top one in first pic for a 1956 Win 70 243 fwt and the lower one in first pic for a Rem 760 270 from 1953 with a brand new leupold 3x9 vari X II, and dies and some ammo. The bottom one had a rare stith mount and a weaver 330c. It was a neat vintage setup. The stith mount allowed for the addition of a scope without extra holes. The front mount dovetailed into the rear sight dovetail, and the rear mount went into the peep holes.

Top - Savage 99 G - 300 sav deluxe takedown with no extra holes - early 20s
Bottom - Savage 99 R - 300 sav with 4x unertl hawk - early 50s

GEDC0069-1.jpg

GEDC0070.jpg

Savage 99 EG 300 sav with weaver 330c and stith mounts.

savage99300savstith1.jpg

savage99300savstith2.jpg

Savage Model 99

I have a Model 99 E with the schnabel forend made in 1951, it was a buddy's grandad's that was passed down,
I aquired it cause I was best man at his wedding (10 yrs ago); it still puts 3 shots into 3/4" @ 100 yds and 5 into 1-1/4",
with my handloads 165 grn Speer Grand Slam over 38 grns BLC-2.

I always heard 99's were not very accurate..but the ones I have shot seemed to group very well....

I always heard 99's were not very accurate..

Where did you hear this from? I've heard negative things regarding the Savage Model 99 over the years but never that they "were not very accurate". Actually, quite the contrary.

Back