Anyone like Savage 99's???

Scorch, You might as well go for 4 barrels. I made one in 7-30 Waters for my one take-down. Shoots good.
I actually thought of the 7-30 Waters, as well as 6mmX.30-30. Maybe later, right now buying 2 barrels and making a case for the set will take about all I can afford to put into it. I do have a line on another takedown 99 that is just sitting . . .

My only firearms regret so far.

Lucky you! :cool: Wish I could say the same. :(

I got my great grandfathers savage 99 in 30-30, its a little worse for the wear my grandfather doesn't take good care of his stuff. But the gun is special to me it was made in 1922

VK...That stock has impressed checkering..like a later made gun.....

I have the same question as Keg: If the rifle in question was made much before the 1960s (i.e., 1922), it would not have impressed checkering on the original stock. I suppose it's possible that somebody later replaced the original wood with a later stock...

MCB.....I like that 250-3000....They say that is a very good round.....The peep sight is cool.....

The stock on mine is probably a replacement, I'm not sure but the gun has been used alot and my grandfather gave it to me already broken. I fixed the stock, but I believe 30-30 savage 99's have not been made since the 30s.

I went to that website catered to model 99s and using the serial the gun dated back to 1922 if my memory serves correct, I'm sure the gun has had parts replaced because the gun is pretty worn, the barrel looks like a sewer pipe no matter how many times I clean it lol.

Rebuild It

You could get it rebored and rechambered to 38-55 . The 99 would probably be stout enough to make it a .375 Win. even . 1922 was the year that Savage introduced their .300 , a cartridge ahead of it's time , and one of my all time favorites ! There's another option , rebarrel it to .300 Savage :)

Those are some good ideas, I thought of rebarreling it previously. But i may go and try those electronic bore cleaners first to see what it does. But even with the bore being in poor condition it still shoots decent enough, it still gets 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards with cheap privi partizian 30-30 ammo.

I've got a 99EG made about 1936.

I've been looking for one in either .32-40 or .38-55 for years. Haven't found one I can afford yet.

VK...Yes looks like it was restocked at one time...The problem with many 99's is the butt stocks tend to crack....

Mike..38-55 would be an awesome caliber....

Mike Irwin said:
I've got a 99EG made about 1936.

I've been looking for one in either .32-40 or .38-55 for years. Haven't found one I can afford yet.

I shot a 99 the first time in 61 or 62, belonged to my BIL. I couldn't afford one then and todays prices are not any better.

I've seen a .32-40 but never seen a .38-55, never even heard of one. Those have to be spendy if in great condition.

Dang...

This one is making me rethink the .38-55...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280479651

The .38-55, .32-40, and .25-35 were all made up to I think 1920. They might have continued on after that, but I don't think any of them were selling all that well.

The .30-30 was made right up through the depression, was dropped when Savage started having money troubles and, after they came out of World War II, never started making it again.

I had a like new 99 in 38-55. That was back in the late 60's. It was not drilled and tapped for a scope and since it was 'new' I sold it to a club member who was a collector. I got $200 for it!

I had 38-55's in a Hepburn and a High Wall that I loaded for Schuetzen but I wanted a scope on a deer gun.

If you find any chambering in a 99 that you like get it and find a way to load or buy ammo.

They are control round feed you know!

here,s my 99 savage in 303,eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 1879.jpg
    Picture 1879.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Picture 1880.jpg
    Picture 1880.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 1881.jpg
    Picture 1881.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Uhm... oh my, I think that's a special order 1899 with factory select wood, Marble tang sight, and factory "B" (I think that's what it would be) engraving.

That's worth a pretty penny, possibly close to $2,000.

Back