Anyone Else "Done" with SA Revolvers

Not me. Time spent cocking a single-action revolver is time we'll spent. How can you be so tired? Take some Geritol and revive yourself;)

I assume roa is just having a little fun.

He's made it abundantly clear that he adores the Ruger Old Army in his other posts.

I don't mind cocking the hammer. I just don't really care for single-action revolvers. I've owned a number of them, but never never really warmed up to them.

Oddly enough, I DO actually love the FEEL of a S/A. I could sit and just cock one, and let the hammer down, cock it and let the hammer down all day long.

But for shooting, I prefer a hand ejector style revolver hands down, even though I shoot them in S/A about 80% of the time.

Go figure. :D

I like single actions in larger caliber revolvers but don't care for them in rimfires. With the larger caliber revolvers, I am generally not in a big hurry to empty the cylinder (and reload) unlike sometimes with 22's plinking and having fun.

Gee, I wish you would have talked me out of SAs before I went and bought three Colt SAAs and a Ruger 3-Screw Blackhawk last year. Would have saved me a bunch of money.

I sort of consider myself a student of the handgun. I've been through the autoloaders, single shots, DA revolvers, and the Single Action revolver. As of now I'm pretty well set on the Single Action, and have just about divested myself of my double action guns. The Single Action revolver has the all the power I need, which of late and my stage of life has been sufficient power to cleanly penetrate heavy target paper.

But a blue Ruger or Colt Single Action, with case hardened frame and nice grips, has become my ideal in the handgun.

Bob Wright

Anyone Else "Done" with SA Revolvers

Done? I haven't even started yet.

(Single action is something I'd like to try, some day.)

Not me. Time spent cocking a single-action revolver is time we'll spent

Maybe it's like what I've seen people say about fishing -- it's time that doesn't count against total life span.

Only trouble I have with SA 'cowboy' revolvers is the long lock time. Way longer than DA revolvers or virtually any semi-automatic.

Deaf

To me, a SA revolver is the gun version of a manual transmission car. I like manual transmissions and SAs. There is something special about changing gears or cocking a hammer rather than just pushing a gas pedal or pulling a trigger.

Deaf Smith said:
Only trouble I have with SA 'cowboy' revolvers is the long lock time. ..................

Way I shoot that long lock time really doesn't seem to matter a whole lot. I've shot fine target autos and fine target revolvers, not much difference to me. Does give me a good excuse, though.

Bob Wright

SA (cowboy) revolvers have kind of a strange effect on me. I always think how neat it would be to have two of them. I mean two of the same model.

I don't really have the urge to own two matched 1911 handguns or two target .22 pistols, I'd consider one of them to be superfluous, but a matched set of SA revolvers is something I'd like.

Undoubtedly the result of watching so many westerns in my youth.

What a silly post. It's like saying "is anyone else tired of having to load those magazines one cartridge at a time"?

Back