Anybody change up their carry for the times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a change as of December 1. I now carry a trauma kit.

When I go to the range, I have taken a GSW kit with me...tossed it in the range bag/bucket, etc. I have taken that, added a few items to it and put it all in a backpack. Each pocket has a colored tab on it so I can easily open, or direct others to open, the right pocket. It is going with me every time I leave the house.

My entire 20s and early 30s, I carried a trauma kit in the car/truck but when we had kids, I decided that the cell phone call to CSP or 911 was a better option for me as my first responsibility is to my family. Now that the boys are in their early teens and can handle themselves, get out of harms way etc., that combined with a change in the times has me back to having the trauma kit near me 24/7, just like a firearm, light, knife and a cell phone.

I went from an XD45 compact with 11 rounds to a Glock 17 with 18 rounds and threw a red dot on it for longer (25-50+ yard) ranges. I just barely got done creating the muscle memory to pick up the dot with no delay.

Body armor use by criminals was more of a factor in my decision than terrorism or mass shootings.

Because life is a continues change, I'm changing.
First it was 5 shot revolver, than 16+1 CZ75.
And today I was reading about AR15 for hours.........hm..........so how do we hide that? hm............:confused:

Like a lot of others I enjoy to go a little bigger when it gets colder. Lately I have rotated between Glock 26, Glock 19, and Taurus PT111 G2. Warmer months it is the 26. This time of year I switch between the 19 and G2 depending on how I'm feeling. I have an IWB for my G2 and OWB for the 19 so it depends on my clothing choices for the day and if I will be outside mostly or inside.

Happy carrying,
Blitzer

I do not live in a carry state, I only carry on my non-res UT permit when in a state where I can. Since I thus only carry part-time, I probably change up less than I otherwise would (I'm a variety is the spice of life type). I have a lot of potential carry guns, and some change depending upon the circumstances (I carry either a .357mag or .45LC revolver when camping in the woods, I carry a smaller and easier to conceal gun most of the time when in more populated areas). However, I find I carry one gun about 90% of the time when I can carry. For years that was my Taurus 85CH, and the past couple years it has been my SIG P290RS (with an occasional switch to a .40 or .45 in the winter).

However, I have been thinking about making a change, not so much due to the changing terrorism threat or seasonal considerations, but more due to longer-term changes in my defensive philosophy. Being a part-time carrier (due to legal necessity) I figured I'd never really get used to carrying so I leaned towards a smaller, more concealable gun over capacity. I figured I'd be more comfortable mentally with a smaller gun, and with a larger gun I'd feel too conspicuous. Well, since I don't carry every day, I never get used to carry and so even with the smaller guns I feel like everyone can tell I'm carrying (even though I know intellectually that it is well concealed and likely no one knows I'm carrying). For the past year or so, I've been thinking that since I feel conspicuous with even a smaller carry gun (my single stack, mini-9, SIG P290 being my usual carry), I may as well carry a larger more effective gun since I won't get used to it anyway.

About a year ago, I started thinking about the advantages of higher capacity, plus with a larger gun I will have faster follow-up shots, and I've decided that I'm better off with a bigger gun. I've only recently started putting it into practice (with a 9+1 shot .45ACP SIG P250 Compact).

As I believe the odds of needing to shoot and having the opportunity to do so are still about 1 in 10 trillion, I still carry the Glock 29 90% of the time. From time to time I strap on the MP45c.

I like the idea of a higher capacity pistol, but I don't know about concealing it.

but I just came across a melted pmr 30

Wow, can you post a pic? The PMR30 is all facets and sharp edges, so I can't even imagine what that must look like.

Concealing a higher capacity pistol, dressing Florida casual, no problem.

Glock 19 4th gen, TruGlo night sights, extended slide stop (Glock made) fit flush butt plug, makes for smoother mag inserts. IDPA Club matches helps in quite realistic scenario exercises. The same everything re carry, except 147g Win Talon! Too expensive for matches, so factory 124g hard ball work well.

Off side carry, spare G17 magazine, Surefire light. Folder, Spyderco copy, $30 sharp as a razor. Loose it, no worries, Benchmade at over $200? Stays home.

Terrorist attack? Street thugs wanting my stuff? Whatever is required, I am quite well armed. Do I expect these kind of activities here in Orlando?
It is Mickey's Town when all is said and done. Three times the population in the season. What a target, criminals, whom ever.

Last edited:
Nope, still tote this Kahr CT380 in warm weather and the CW45 in cool jacket months:

1b225a4423d49188b3c0abff8cc04c154518841.jpg

With cold weather and coat, I can pull off a full size pistol. I go from my Springfield XDs .45 (5+1) to my Glock 17 (17+1). It's a drastic change, but cold weather layers help me pull it off. I like the idea of concealing the most gun that you can, better to be over-prepared than under.

I like the idea of concealing the most gun that you can, better to be over-prepared than under.

You do not post a lot! But your sentiment is mine, totally! I loose out on two rounds, but I conceal the G19 better than the G17.

Keep Safe.

Full disclosure... I recently went back to my comfort zone and started carrying my big bore revolvers again. Basically I traded down capacity for increased lifestyle convenience. I am carrying an extra speed strip in addition to the one I normally carry.

Full disclosure... I recently went back to my comfort zone and started carrying my big bore revolvers again. Basically I traded down capacity for increased lifestyle convenience.

What counts as "big bore" here? If we are talking about N-frames or Redhawks, what kind of "lifestyle convenience" do they offer versus full-size semi-autos?

I generally prefer revolvers but I have to admit, some of the double-stack poly 9mms are more comfortable for me to carry concealed all day than an L-frame or a GP100. So if you've got a better way to do it with more, I want to know.

What counts as "big bore" here? If we are talking about N-frames or Redhawks, what kind of "lifestyle convenience" do they offer versus full-size semi-autos?

I generally prefer revolvers but I have to admit, some of the double-stack poly 9mms are more comfortable for me to carry concealed all day than an L-frame or a GP100. So if you've got a better way to do it with more, I want to know.

I mostly carry my either my 44 ruger alaskan or my 44 4" redhawk. Some of the lifestyle conveniences for me are:

- it's just a simple change of ammo when we go to our woods for a hike and change back when we leave to go home
- incredibly simple maintenance routines
- less accessories to manage/maintain/worry about

basically the revolver is a lot less fuss....

I carry IWB, cross draw at about 11:00. The barrel rides along my hip and the weight is distributed by sturdy/thick 1 3/4" belt. This is comfortable all day, whether hiking, walking, standing, sitting, driving... I can conceal the alaskan with just a tee shirt and it completely disappears. The redhawk is close but the butt likes to bulge a bit. The other benefit to this carry, besides comfort and concealment, is that I can easily get to the gun with either hand, from either a standing or seated position (especially true in car). Also, in colder weather, I only need to unzip my coat a bit to get to it.

I've been carrying this way for many years. It works very well for me.... ymmv though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back