answering the door armed

Carrying in FLorida

Open carry in your home or your business is perfectly legal here. However if you draw the weapon it better be to shoot to kill because you were dedending your life or that of another. Drawing to threaten is considering brandishing even inside your home or business and can be considered a crime. Very touchy area, the anti gunners would say you should have had cameras or a peep hole, or refused to open the door, why let the poor criminal crackhead piece of trash inside just so you would have to shoot him anyway. What about his rights to be on your porch with a knife at 3AM....
Bullpoo-poo

Sunday morning wake up

Something about answering the door with a GLock 21SF in your waist band at 730am on a Sunday morning makes the Jehovas Witness put you on the do not call list. I havent been woke up by them since...

Simple math with the 70K robberies at one's residence...
US Population ~ 320,000,000
Typical household size ~ 2 to 4
# of households in US ~ 160,000,000 to 80,000,000
Chances of it happening to you - 70000/160000000 = 0.044% to 70000/80000000 = 0.088% or

1 in 2285 to 1 in 1143

Of course all this depends on where you live...etc...etc and we're just talking about averages.

Of course that assumes the figure of 70K robberies represents scenarios like junkies carrying hot pizzas to invade your castle, vis a vis the hooker stealing your wallet while the Missus is out shopping or dope dealers robbing each other:cool:

WilditendtothinkpizzaguyhomeinvadersareasrareashonestchicagopolsAlaska ™©2002-2010

I live about 15 miles from town. Here there is poor to no cell service but a pretty area to go for a drive. Its not unusual for people that are broken down to come and ask to use the phone. In the winter its cold enough that if they had to walk to town they would freeze to death.

I answer the door a lot with a gun cause I don't want any ones death on my concise. But I have to protect my family as well.

Posted by Onward Allusion: The odds are a lot better than .00000001%

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_07.html

Simple math with the 70K robberies at one's residence...
US Population ~ 320,000,000
Typical household size ~ 2 to 4
# of households in US ~ 160,000,000 to 80,000,000
Chances of it happening to you - 70000/160000000 = 0.044% to 70000/80000000 = 0.088% or

1 in 2285 to 1 in 1143

That's still a very low probability.

However, annual crime stats can mislead. On reason is the wide variation fom one place to another. The other is that the likelihood that one will be a victim of violent crime at least once during his or her lifetime is much higher than one would presume from the annual stats. For someone twelve years old, it is mich higher than one in two; for some sociological groups, the probability approaches unity. For one who is older, the probability that one will be victimized during his or her remaining lifetime drops substantially.

Notwithstanding the odds, the potential consequence of a violent crime can be very severe indeed.

I therefore choose to mitigate the risks. By answering the door with gun in hand? NO!

There are other ways.

We don't entertain and we do answer the door armed.

My house-my rules.

That is-IF-we answer the door.
^This. I'm generally open-carrying at this time of year, until I put my coat on, and don't really care what the person on the other side of the door thinks, if I elect to answer at all. I seriously doubt that will change when I move, either.

The only time my gun leaves the holster on my belt is when I go to set it on the counter next to the throne so it doesn't hit the ground as I'm sitting there making some command decisions!
I answer the door armed all the time. I don't care if it's the Schwan's guy, UPS or the Jehovah's Witnesses. As was said before, it's my house and my guns so I'll go by my rules in here. If I want to answer the door in full SWAT gear and a gas mask then I'll do it!

well it was 2:30 am when i saw headlights pull into my yard and cut off . while leaving a trail of rounds trying to load a clip on my way to the door i made the mistake and ran out the door locked and loaded to meet 2 also locked and loaded county boys looking for a runner . after a brief but major butthole puckering on both sides we both figured out who was who . so brandishing no holstered yes . had a good laugh afterwards though

Maybe because it really could be somebody in distress, or an actual delivery person, etc.

Being prepared for it to be a bad actor doesn't mean that one is unwilling to help somebody who is there for legitimate purposes.

I normally answer the door with a concealed weapon somewhere on my person. Then again, I normally have a concealed weapon somewhere on my person; it would take more effort to answer the door without it.

I really feel sorry for the little kids trying to raise money for school in you guy's neighborhoods.

When I lived in VA Beach the kids were throwing rocks and sticks at my dog, a GSD house pet that was only hooked for air and to do her...doodie. They threw rocks at my neighbor's dog. And windows. And set fire to the tree behind my unit. And my other neighbors unit. Not the tree, their home with a newborn inside. 8-12 year old kids. I moved to a nice neighborhood in Chesapeake...they shot my windows out with a BB gun. I was tranferred.

Now... my neighbors are either;
A) 101st Airborne
B) 160th SOAR
c) 5th SFG

I ALWAYS open the door to kids peddling school/scout stuff now. And I thank them. But I have a window next to the door and check it first.

ME, NH, and VT are always running neck and neck for which is the safest state to live in, and I grew up with unlocked doors, keys in the car, etc.
But, not long ago some NH kids brutally murdered a VT woman and her daughter on a secluded road, just to see someone die. Nowhere is 100% safe.
GSD and a full magazine.

I never answer the door with a gun in hand or holstered. But I have a 38 revolver only 18" away, just in case. ;)

Back