And only one Assault rifle, what would it be?

In this country--the AR---simply because you can't reload empty steel AK cases----supplies would be short if SHTF were to happen.

Anywhere else--AK as long as you had a good supply chain.

Guys while I own 7.62x51 Military rifles and like them well...the question was about "assault rifles" which by definition is an intermediate caliber(and select fire). That leaves you for the most part with the choice of guns in 7.62x39, 5.56x45 NATO, 5.45x39...and some of the newcomers like 6.8SPC

In other words
If the question is about Toyoda Corollas, lets not enter our favorite monster Truck in the answer.

Mine would be the AR15/M16 series, due to parts availibility...and the ability to switch out upper halves to perform different tasks(including caliber changes)

Yes, 7.62 NATO battle rifles don't fit the literal definition of an assault rifle, but then, if you want to argue semantics, none of the semi-automatic civilian legal clones count either. That makes this argument pretty stupid as the chances of most of us affording an actual assault rifle are slim to none. Even then, I found myself utterly unimpressed with automatic fire, and would take my M1A over just about any assault rifle on the market.

But fine. If you want me to pick an assault rifle, I'll pack a suppressed Krink with a Kobra and about four 30 round mags as backup to my M1A :D

There is no argument, just a specific question.

I found it quite easy to stay withen its context. If the civy clones of the same weapons are even considered, they are still the same intemediate calibers,
and will posess the same ergomomics (or lack of) as their title II brethern in all but one feature. And are of the same uses otherwise.

I love my Heavy Shilen Barreled .300 Weatherby Magnum for example, but It dont apply here either.
<wipe a tear>

Can we allow a distinction between a battle rifle cartridge and that of an assault rifle? While 99 44/100% of civilians will never have the opportunity to possess a true Sturmgehwer, that is, a select-fire intermediate-cartridge "carbine," we can possess some sort of semiauto rifle that chambers an intermediate cartridge.

The original intermediate to be adopted by a major power was the 7.92x33mm in the StG44, followed by the 7.62x49mm of the SKS (not a true assault rifle, but a tryout for the cartridge) and AK-47. The 5.56x45mm followed, with the Russians aping it with the 5.45x39mm. With the exception of some recent, unadopted rounds (e.g., 6x47mm SAW, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, etc., plus the new Chinese round), that's about it.

The rifles chambering 7.62x51mm (7.62 NATO) are more appropriately termed "battle rifles," as the 7.62x51mm was intended to provide the performance of the .30-'06 (7.62x66mm) in a shorter case. Thus, the M14/M1A, FAL, HK91, don't really fall into the "assault rifle" (in quotes, 'cause we're talking semiauto here) category.

If we consider the intermediate cartridges, we have the AK family, the AR-15 family, plus some rifles that fell by the wayside (e.g., Beretta AR-70, FN FNC) and some new contenders (SIG-556 being the newest).

For me, while I have a safe full of AK variants, I'll have to go with the AR-15, because of ammo availability and versatility with the modular concept: one lower, several (many?) uppers, changeable faster than you can change your trousers. I will say that for rugged simplicity the Valmet (in .223) does have its appeal.

Xmas2003_50.jpg

If we are talking battle rifles, I'll take the M14. It's got the sights and the trigger its contemporaries lack. Come to thing of it, sights & trigger are the big drawbacks of the AK family.

TRW-03-1000.jpg

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Regards,

Walt

I guess I don't have any interest in anything "select fire"... well maybe if I won the lottery... until then, I have better things to spend that money on...

in fact, I don't even like the word "assult"... but I do have a sporterized SKS, a few Czech "old army" rifles, as well as a few American "old army" rifles...

if I had to choose one of all of those, it would be either one of these two...

attachment.php

attachment.php

p99guy Guys while I own 7.62x51 Military rifles and like them well...the question was about "assault rifles" which by definition is an intermediate caliber(and select fire).

7.62 x 39 AK in the assault rifle role and the 7.62 NATO in the battle rifle role.

1K-T56SHTF-MK14SEIMod1.jpg

I'd have to say a nice Scout Squad M1A. But If I'm running around with a group of guys in some sort of battle, I'd like it if we didnt all have the same rifle. Maybe a few M1A's, a couple of shorter AK-47's and a shotgun for clearing houses.

But now that I think about it. There's always the SOCOM 16. Thats a short M1A. And it's gota be a good shot for long distance as well. Maybe one of those, with an Aimpoint on it, and you'd be set.

Yeah, that sounds good. My vote goes to the SOCOM 16 with an Aimpoint optic for Best Assault Rifle! :D

AK if assualt CQB was the affair of the day and the strict limiter.......however if Battlerifle was the term used then the choice is clear LRB-M14-M25 with 1:10 Krieger bbl 22" match front sight, special self made ghost ring rear, Sadlak match guide spring rod, Sadlak TIN grooved Piston, GI trigger group tuned to crisp snap at 3.0 lbs, USGI Parts and rear sight assembly, IOR 1.1-4x23mm objective illuminated ballistic drop circle and dot scope and burris rings, Versapod bipod(s), one mount many legs. I'd have Ted Brown assemble it for me.

If moving by vehicle or aminal I'd carry both! And load heavy on 7.62x51 match ammo and mags and parts. The AK is keep the mostiquers off your back.

Back