And heres my first question ?

Ricekila

( if this is the wrong place to drop this -- I'm sure It will be moved :o )

In our S.A.F.E. group - the woman who runs our Women on Target classes - adult son died --

She just got around to cleaning out his safe & sold a bunch of handguns and rifles she'd never use --

The other night she gave me a CVA - 1861 Colt Navy kit ( ASM ) --

My plan as of now is to build it - make a nice box & give it back to her :)

( as my Pappy said -- "When you ever get to the point - raise your hand" --
Hello.gif
)

99.9% of the parts were in a bag -- Allen must have bought this in the late "80's" ?

I just ordered a brass back strap for it --- test assembling it --

Pull the hammer back either very slow or fast - 1/2 cock first click - fine - second little click - fine ---- third - hammer back locking click - good -- pull the trigger -- great -- :D

But if I just drop the barrel on to the spindle & point it up -- first click - fine - bolt release is retracted and the barrel will free spin --

When I pull the hammer back to lock it in the firing position -- it wont hold there - it moves forward to 1/2 cock ????

Remove the barrel - its good ?

I even filed a tinny bit where the hand slides in the frame in case it was binding a wee-bit --

Any suggestions ? :o

Last edited:
If I file / grind it back -- I'll assume just till the hammer holds back ? :confused:

A better general question #2 might be -- how long should it be ?

Last edited:
Fingers -- "tanks" -- I'll have a lookie :D

Odd -- no thanks button here :eek:

And Hawg -- your my new best-est friend :)

Last edited:
Although looking through the links that Fingers posted & the other two I found - I didn't see anything directly addressing my problem --

But as I work through this using the links -- I guess I'm tuning already --

I sharpie-ed the bolt to file it down when I take it apart yet again -- I should keep a score card --

The same on the cylinder -- the bolt is rubbing dead center --

I noticed with the hammed down -- I can - with a small screwdriver push against the hands spring --

( pics just show positions )

Hand-1_zpsa2ccqyrp.jpg

Then at 1/2 cock I can still push it back a bit --

Hand-2_zpss00jedi3.jpg

All the way back - firing position -- its to stiff to push back --

Hand-3_zpsoyrl813j.jpg

And I can see where its rubbing --

Hand-4_zpswjpxsx92.jpg

After I milk the cows :p - I'll file it back a bit :)

?

First thing to fit is the bolt. Make sure the bolt fits into each cylinder notch. Then fit the hand. Do not grind. Use a file and go very slowly. Test frequently.

The hand slot isn't your main problem. The hand turns the cylinder but when the bolt locks into the cylinder notch and the hammer isn't on full cock the hand is just pushing against the cylinder and it cant go anywhere. Therefore the hand is too long. It probably won't take but a couple of strokes with a file to fix it.

"First thing to fit is the bolt. Make sure the bolt fits into each cylinder notch."

Fits in every one like a glove :D

"The hand turns the cylinder but when the bolt locks into the cylinder notch and the hammer isn't on full cock the hand is just pushing against the cylinder and it cant go anywhere"

With my pea-brain -- that explained it --- A new spare / replacement should be here by Tuesday next -- I'll give this one a gentle filing later tonight ---- :D

Last edited:
The hand won't be contacting the frame with the cylinder installed, it'll be in the cyl ratchet (pushed back).
You need to fit the hand so that cyl lockup and full cock happen at the same instant. If lockup happens before full cock, the hand is long. If lockup happens after full cock, you'll need to stretch the hand. When you achieve that, then you can set the bolt drop (timing).

That's when things get more difficult.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

And as we say in Yiddish ---- Bingo :D

I carefully filed a little offa the top -- tested it -- I got one good cocking -

Took it out and filled again - same 6 strokes --- "El Perficto" :D

Doesn't look like much does it ?

Hand-5_zpsxcrevcik.jpg

When I get to in -- I'll give it a little heat-treat & polishing ;)

I gave the ratcheting hooks a good slathering of sharpie ink -- the wear on all is right at the hooks base --

Now should I turn this epic thread into a - "How I did it" thread ?

Or start another :p

Tanks again ;)

P/S -- before the shaving -- ( overall hand length ) - .975 -- after -- .95 & 1/2 - ish --

Last edited:
I may be missing it on yours but there should be a flattened area on the arbor where the hand passes it. I had a new Navy that was not done, it would work but was tight.

"I wouldn't harden it. If you do the wear will be on the cylinder and not the hand."

Good point -- Its hardly a safe queen - and these cylinders aint cheap :rolleyes:

"I may be missing it on yours but there should be a flattened area on the arbor where the hand passes it. I had a new Navy that was not done, it would work but was tight."

Nope - maybe I should carve into the grip -- "POS" -- so I wont forget :D

Kinda anoying to do quoting here aint it ;)

Kinda anoying to do quoting here aint it

Kinda, it's not as easy as most forums and doesn't even say who you're quoting. You can add that in but then it's really annoying.

Here is the flat area on an arbor, don't take them out of the frame!
(sorry trouble up loading)
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back