An Open Letter To The CEO of Levi Strauss & Co.

You really believe that you have a right to carry a concealed weapon on private property?

If the property is NOT posted against concealed carry and the owner /manager of said property has not indicated to me it is not authorized or requested that I leave the property
You bet I DO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATN082268 said:
Gun free zones = human hunting preserves for psychopaths

Double Naught Spy said:
GFZs have absolutely no monopoly on this.

If you're saying that shootings can and do occur in areas other than gun free zones, then I agree. In general though, I do think gun free zones make it easier for people to go on shooting sprees and inflict more damage than they would have in non-gun free zones. Why? Because someone who is armed can potentially use their gun to eliminate or minimize the damage of people who like to go around shooting people.

texas45 said:
If the property is NOT posted against concealed carry and the owner /manager of said property has not indicated to me it is not authorized or requested that I leave the property
You bet I DO.

Notice how in your statement you require both the government's and private property owners permission to exercise your "right"?

Kind of makes your "rights" meaningless if anyone can restrict them, doesn't it?

Last edited:
You really believe that you have a right to carry a concealed weapon on private property?

What is private property?

A privately owned country club?
A retail store open to the public?
A gas station?
A mall?
A mall parking lot?
A semi-private golf course?
A privately operated tennis complex on city owned property
A parking lot owned by a publicly traded company?
Wetlands in a mitigation bank?
Charter School?
A conservation easement?
$3,000,000 house on Lake Burton on land owned by Georgia Power?

ATN082268 said:
So if a company asks you not to bring guns to their store, they won't ask you to leave if they see you bring a gun?

tipoc said:
If you have an opinion to say, say it. Don't fish around like a teenager asking for a first kiss.

Sometimes asking questions is a better way to clarify an issue. In this case it is a matter of whether a business prohibits weapons on their property or not. If a company asks you not to bring weapons to their store, does it prohibit or allow weapons on their property? I'd say the former but you're welcome to argue the latter :)

ATN082268 said:
Accidents with cars in the parking lots of companies isn't uncommon. Do you think companies will ask people not to bring their cars because of the accidents with them on their property? Safety is at least as important regarding vehicles as it is with many other things, including guns.

koda94 said:
Im also not certain what your point is with this question either. Its not even a close comparison to the topic, nobodys trying to ban cars even if Levis owned the parking lot.

The topic here should really be gun safety while shopping, then maybe someone new to CCW can learn what to do with their gun when trying on jeans... Like keep it in its holster.

The point was and is that safety is not just a gun issue and irresponsible behavior is hardly confined to the use of guns. I don't think companies should necessarily adopt a policy to ban guns from stores because of irresponsible behavior of a person with a gun. If a person was run over in the parking lot of a store, do you think a store should (or would) ban cars from their property?

What is private property?

Legally, private property is property not owned by a government entity. Unless otherwise stated by law (and there are numerous states that state otherwise for specific examples), private property is under the control of the landowner and/or tenant (as designated by lease agreement) or their agents. They can tell you that you cannot carry a gun on their property if they so desire, run a newspaper, or hold religious services. These may all be your rights, but you do not have the right to exercise them on their private property if they disallow it. Some states stipulate that concealed carry cannot be restricted in parking lots, for example.

That's really too bad! I've been wearing and enjoying Levis since I was about 10 years old, when they used to be made in the US. If Levis really is involved with the Antis and restricting carry rights, then I suppose I need to try some different blue jeans. Carhartt makes some decent jeans - do they support gun rights?

Depends on what you mean by "support gun rights." They may not be posted against guns in the few stores that they have, but chances are they do not allow their employees to have guns, just as most corporations do not allow employees to have guns. In this sense, most corporations are anti-gun. I do not know of a single major corporation that doesn't have a policy against guns in the workplace unless you are part of security as your job.

Notice how in your statement you require both the government's and private property owners permission to exercise your "right"?

Kind of makes your "rights" meaningless if anyone can restrict them, doesn't it?

Not really. It has always been this way in the US. People tend to think their rights are more than they really are and that their rights supercede the rights of others via some form of rationalization, but except where noted in law, this just isn't the case.

This is what you can't do under Co gun laws

May Not Carry:

On any real property or improvements of any public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school (though firearms may be kept in a locked motor vehicle, loaded if you have a CHP, or unloaded if you do not).
In any public building in which security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently installed.
Any private property where not allowed by owner, tenant, employer, or business entity.
If you are under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance.
Any building owned or leased by a federal government authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public.
On your snowmobile, unless unloaded and in a carrying case.
A prison or any other detention facility.
Inside the secured area of any airport, however a person may carry any legal firearm into the terminal that is encased for shipment purposes and checked as baggage to be lawfully transported on an aircraft pursuant to airline and TSA regulations.

Point of view matters a lot. We see ourselves as responsible and safe, and feel insulted (at the least) when someone implies (through prohibiting carry) that we are not.

However, the store owners don't SEE us as responsible, (because responsible CCW means nobody sees it, among other things..) what they SEE is the moron who Mexican carries (no holster) a GLock in the waistband of his sweatpants (:eek:), grabs it when is slips and fires a round, endangering himself and others.

(and yes, this HAS actually happened)

I have a good deal of sympathy for the business owner in this matter, because they are, literally trapped. If they prohibit, or even discourage carry, a rather vocal segment of the carry community rails about them denying "our rights".

If they DON'T, their safety people and their lawyers tell them they are putting the public (their customers) at increased risk, and their insurance costs can reflect this. Consider (numbers for example only) what a business owner has to consider, if his accident insurance is $10K but if he puts up a no guns sign, his insurance is $2k. Even if the store owner has a personal opinion on gun rights, bottom line costs may override it.

If someone doesn't comply to my wishes on my property, they are gonna leave or get arrested at a minimum.
There's a few places that will allow a person to force their individual rights on a property owner, most of a particular political leaning.

You can't hold a church service in Walmart
You can't hold a seminar in Walmart without permission.
You can't give permission for troops to stay at Target.
No indictments, hearings or bail.
So if they want no guns, it's within their rights, I believe that and will stand by and support their decision. But I can choose how to spend my money.

IDT, go ahead and post your open letter on LinkedIn. Just hit the Write An Article button, and paste it in.

Post a link here, and I'll go over and "Like" it, as I did with several of the pro-gun replies to Mr. Bergh's article.

The sidewalk in front of my house is on my property. So if we post a sign on each side of the lot that prohibits guns, that is defensible? And if some person walks their dog on our walk and has a gun then they are liable for exactly what?

I don't know all city laws but the houses I've owned the area that contained the sidewalks is the city's right of way.

Levi's message seems to be that if I wear their jeans, magically, I'll look sexy and young forever.
And in all fairness, this part is true. So I wear Levis. And I CCW in the store if I feel the need. Because I am sexy and armed. And discreet.

Quote:
Sort of cowardly of the CEO to cave in to an astro-turf organization.

What organization? Or which organization did they cave to? How was that? Do you have a source for this?

tipoc

CEOs have get togethers all the time. I just assume that Michael Bloomberg the funds behind Moms Demand Action / Everytown for Gun Safety bends ears at these informal meetings about banning guns.

The sidewalk in front of my house is on my property. So if we post a sign on each side of the lot that prohibits guns, that is defensible? And if some person walks their dog on our walk and has a gun then they are liable for exactly what?

Except you dont own the sidewalk.
In town here 15ft from the center of the residential street in either direction falls under the cities ROW.
You as PO cant remove or alter said sidewalk w/o getting cities ok or them doing the repairs etc.

So no yelling "get off of my lawn" unless they cross the entire sidewalk and step on MY side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an old guy, bought my first pair of Levi 501 jeans when I was 13 years old.
I was doing some cowboying, farm hand work, later in life factory labor, the jeans were tough and lasted, they also were very close in price to other jeans.

I still have some 501's in my jean drawer I don't wear them all the time as I've found other jeans that's just as good if not better at about a third of the cost of Levis.
In my opinion Levi forgot who put them where they are.

I'll wear out the Levi jeans I have, do not plan on buying anymore, not because of the request from Levi's CEO as I could care less what he thinks, it's because they are way overpriced for the quality of jeans they produce.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

No need to prove anything. Levis doesn't want gun carrying customers, I'm fine with that. I don't [at people to prevent me from executing my rites . I have worn Lee jeans for decades and now have one more reason to keep doing so.

I will add them to my "Do Not Shop There List":
Gander Mountain
Bass ProShop
Sears
Academy Sports
Starbucks
Levies

why Gander Mountain, Bass Proshop and Sears ?

I'll wear out the Levi jeans I have, do not plan on buying anymore, not because of the request from Levi's CEO as I could care less what he thinks, it's because they are way overpriced for the quality of jeans they produce.

What Bob said. I don't ordinarily decline to shop chain stores or merchandise just because of the CEO's/owner's ignorance: There are often plenty of local people making a living working for the company who don't share their bosses' dumb ideas.

It's difficult for me to figure out how to make a pro-gun statement in my decisions to clothe myself (yes, I failed the gun-related test once again) particularly considering that the original input from the CEO appears to have been in the form of a request.

But, Levis' quality has taken a definite and sharp dive in the past few years and I would love to take my business elsewhere.

Bob, (and others): What brands of jeans have you found an acceptable replacement?

I'm shopping and having a hard time (especially with the sexy and young part :rolleyes:).

I did a search for gun-related denims and came up empty. Looks like 5.11 doesn't sell them anymore.

Best,

Will

Last edited:
Back