An Expert Informed Me I Was Undergunned....

This is irresistible .... :D
f7FdEdG.jpg

Frankenmauser be careful saying you rang steel at 275 yards with a single action revolver. I stated I could hit a 13oz coffee can at 100 yards with a handgun and was all but called a liar here.
Yep.
I've been there, as well.

But, in this case, I had as many as five witnesses to multiple back-to-back hits with that load and revolver; and there's video (somewhere) of me doing it with two 9mm handguns - not at the same time. (Along with two of my brothers doing the same with .45 Colt and another 9mm.)
By no means did every bullet hit the target - probably not even half of them. But it worked when I needed it to. :D

Honestly... I think more people would have a problem believing that I did it with a lever-action rifle than a revolver. According to the internet, lever-actions absolutely can not be accurate. :rolleyes:

rob-c:Wife and I were shooting our ruger lcr’s and had a guy telling us we were doing it all wrong, He said should be putting our thumbs up along side the gun for more control. I said thanks but we’re fine. I should have handed him my gun and said show me what you’re talking about.

As a RSO at a local gun range (which doesn't necessarily make me an expert) I see people shooting whose grip looks less than effective. However, if they are shooting safely, having fun and are hitting the target I leave them alone. If they have poor control and/or look like they are not having fun, then I ask them if I can show them something to improve their groups or to control their gun better. Usually the answer is "yes". What I demonstrate is the thumbs forward grip...keeping thumbs off the slide, of course.This mostly results in an immediate improvement in gun control, accuracy and fun.

If they want to hand me their gun and show them how it's done, I can do that. And quite well, too. Should someone say "thanks but we’re fine" then as long as they are safe, I will bother them no more.

My first priority is to assure a safe range. If I can also do something to make sure they enjoy their time more, then they will likely shoot more often and will see them again. It's good business to do that.

" He knew this as he was a trained sniper."

You know, I think there are more "trained snipers" out in the wild that there have ever been people in the US military...

There is one thing to consider, however. What if both persons are equally skilled? Just sayin' ;)

I just gotta say...the members here sometimes come across as a bunch of stuck in the mud old fogies - MYSELF INCLUDED I MIGHT ADD. Sometimes it's weapon lights, lasers, 1911s, revolvers . . . you get it... The thing is - one has to keep an open mind.

Evolve or extinct. In some cases - evolve or die. :)

Last edited:
I realize that modern autoloaders have a lot of advantages as carry guns, but it's not like revolvers suddenly became incapable of inflicting damage once Glocks started rolling off the line.

I recently had a customer called me old fashioned for carrying a revolver. I watched him as he loaded his semi and had a failure to extract at round three. As he brought his gun down with puzzled look on his face and his buddy running over to help him clear the gun, I slipped in to the next lane and put 7 rounds downrange into a nice group in a very controlled manner and calmly walked away before the two got a rod to push out the spent case from his gun. His sheepish smile said it all.

He was shooting at 5 yards and was all over the target, not even something you could call a group. I was shooting at 20 yards with a Ruger Blackhawk and making 3-4 inch groups offhand.
You were shooting for "fun offhand". He may have been double-tapping, doing some other defensive rapid shooting drill. Therefore, the relative size of your groups compared to his is immaterial.

Thinking back on this, the malfunctions I have had with my wheel guns are a broken firing pin on my competition 625 and my GP 100 locking up because the fool (me) short stroked the trigger:eek: Other than these issues my revolvers run all the time. My 649 and model 10 both have not had issues with regards to function and reliability. Both are wonderful carry guns;)

While at the range shooting (indoor with a retail sales area), I removed my sweatshirt because it was getting warm in the range. This exposed my EDC, a Ruger SP101 .357 in an outside the waistband kydex holster. The guy in the next lane pointed at my rig and laughed saying it’s 2018, they make better carry guns you know......I said thanks, I’ll look into that.

I noticed he was shooting a Sig 226 and a Glock, not sure what model. He was shooting at 5 yards and was all over the target, not even something you could call a group. I was shooting at 20 yards with a Ruger Blackhawk and making 3-4 inch groups offhand.

I think I am fairly well armed and competent with what I carry. I am not so sure about the “expert” who gave me his unsolicited advice......
Carry what you have confidence in and can shoot well. I also carry a revolver, it's a 38 special but I can shoot it extremely well and it has never failed to feed, failed to fire or failed to extract , 100% reliability...no safety , no magazine , no slide to rack.

It's not the gun that wins the fight...it's the shootist.
The " expert" knows not of what he speaks.
Gary

For the record: I'm now carrying .32 H&R in a Ruger LCR (.327 Federal, 6-shot model).

According to the internet, I'm so under-gunned that I should already be dead.

I had a gun store commando tell me that "If you shoot someone with that it will just piss him off" when he saw me buying a .380 for my wife.

In a sporting mood, I asked what he carried.

"A Sig Sauer P-220 .45 ACP", he replied.

Seeing nowhere on his person to hide such a beast, I decided to set him up and then take him down a peg. I said "Well that sounds like what I should get her. Do you mind if I look at it?"

"...I, well uh...I don't have it HERE. It's out in my truck but sure, I can go get it."

Wagging an LCP mag from my pocket, I said "Well it wouldn't do you much good out there, now would it?"

He went away.

I think he handled that "clown" very well. The guy couldn't group any better at 15 feet? Bet he was flinching like a "chihuahua crappin' peach seeds".

I certainly know there are semi-autos available these days, but if I need more than six rounds, I'll bring my 12 gauge pump gun!

Ba1Dtu9l.jpg

Thinking back on this, the malfunctions I have had with my wheel guns are a broken firing pin on my competition 625 and my GP 100 locking up because the fool (me) short stroked the trigger:eek: Other than these issues my revolvers run all the time. My 649 and model 10 both have not had issues with regards to function and reliability. Both are wonderful carry guns;)
My S&W carry never had a problem out of several thousand rounds of shooting. Its predecessor, a officer style .45, went through about 2,000 with no problems, before I retired it for the S&W. The wife's cannon of a Beretta has never had a problem.

Its not the pistol. Its the shooter.

Skill is the decider. That said, there's nothing that says capacity and skill have to be mutually exclusive.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. That being said, and I say this as a schmuck on the interwebz who knows very little about very little, there are so many folks who own X gun because it “magazine races” well. I would be terrified of a Delta Operator with a .38 revolver with 4 mismatched rounds and an empty cylinder vs a tarded gangbanger with a Glock 17.

Carrying is about skill, confindence and equipment. Said Delta Operator with a Glock 17 is a force to be reckoned with.....me......not so much. I am probably better with 5 rounds of Gold Dot short barrell or a good Da/SA.

Skill trumps all. Skill with the best possible equipment is a force to be reckoned with. Skill and equipment can still be trumped by Mr. Murphy.

Me personally, my sweet spot is 10+ rounds of a martial caliber. Would I ever disparage a 5 shot .357/.38 in trained hands.........well I am not that uneducated l.

Glenn E. Meyer said:
Experts who give unsolicited advice are worth what you paid for it. I stopped doing that.

Case in point - I was taking my TX CHL test (easy for anyone with any practice). A guy next to me says that I shoot too well and should miss some of the center Zero zone shots. Why? Well, he tells me that if I go to trial they will ask me why I didn't shoot the bad person in the leg. He knew this as he was a trained sniper.

What's amazing is my Dept still has people who will spew the same thing - "Don't shoot a perfect score, then you will lose in court because X, Y and Z". 99% of these same people usually just squeak over the top to qualify anyway. :)

Back