Am I the only one who is not enamored but the new PCC rage?

Stripping down a Hi Point carbine is a PITA. Fortunately, you don't need to do it often. I've read stories of 2000+ rounds through one without cleaning. I wouldn't let it go that far...the OCD would kick in long before that.

One of the side benefits of the HTA stock is that it makes the process a lot easier. Yet another reason I (and my OCD) like it.

I have a couple of PCC guns and they are a lot of fun and cheap, well, cheaper to shoot than a .223/5.56 AR for sure. Another bonus is even my friend's wives/GF's can tolerate shooting them.

I agree rifle rounds don't really make good handgun rounds but the opposite is not true.

Generally true, as long as you exclude cartridges on the light end and particularly some from the dim historic past.

First off, the .22LR, was of course originally a rifle cartridge. And rounds like the .22 Hornet, and even .30-30 and .45-70 serve well in my handguns, Contenders are handguns. :D

So most, but not all rifle rounds aren't well suited to handguns, but some are.

I've had carbines in .357 & .44 Mag and in 9mm and .45acp. They're great carbines, extending the easily useable range of the pistol round and amplifying its power. Are they equal to full rifle rounds? No, of course not, but everything doesn't always need to be, does it?

The value of a PCC is it shoots the same ammo that your handguns shoot, so for those who are only interested in plinking and home defense, they can have an effective platform for short range use and shoot it very cheaply. When things were normal, 9mm was $160 for 1000 rds, how much was 1000 rds of .223 or .300? $350-$400?

Half price for ammo is significant, you can shoot twice as much for the same price.

Not everyone is shoot 200 yards away. Seriously, what self defense situation are you going to be legally justified to shoot that far away? What game are you hunting with .300 BLK at 200 yards?

It seems like most people like them because they perceive some advantage to having their long gun and handgun shoot the same ammunition. I think the advantage to that is overblown. I still like them though. The lever actions are pretty compact and handy.

If I was using something for dedicated CQB it very well might be a suppressed 9mm.

It seems like most people like them because they perceive some advantage to having their long gun and handgun shoot the same ammunition.

You missed the fact that it helps handgun cartridges become much more than they are from a handgun. Especially in the case of magnum revolvers and the 10mm.

Aside from the more inexpensive cartridges needed to feed it...it is a great avenue to introduce a newer shooter to the sport without investing in yet another caliber. I gotta' think that .38 Special out of a firearm that can be shouldered has to be very gentle and unintimidating. I am eager to try one!

I'm not ex-LE or ex-Mil & don't pretend to be. Like most on the net, I'm an armchair QB in such matters. I have been shooting and hunting since I was 4 and have owned MANY firearms of all sorts. I'm probably 95% a bolt action guy and look at PCC's, black rifles and pistols as tools...and insurance policies in more ways than one. Like Matthew Quigley once noted, "Said I didn't have much use for 'em, never said I didn't know how to use 'em."

FOR ME...there was a time I thought a rifle 5.56/7.62x39 rounds or 00-Buck-12Ga was great for HD IN the house...until I had 5 children & now grandchildren. WAAAAY too much penetration for my liking in the home not to mention size, length, and blast. (I wouldn't probably use more than 4-shot for a shotgun in HD anymore.)

a PCC is a perfect option to those calibers for home defense

Agreed & where I have personally settled along with strategically placed pistols hoping I never need to use either. PCC/PDW's fit nearly anywhere, low recoil & muzzle blast, easy to point in confined spaces, easy to shoot for nearly anyone, high capacity, accurate and I'm not so worried about unintentional injuries and over penetration. I mainly stay with Glock magazine-oriented PCC's as they seem to be the most common and readily available besides AR magazines...and reliable. I stick with 9mm & 40 S&W for many of the previously mentioned reasons. I would like one in 10mm if I could afford one that I trusted...that uses Glock magazines. (I don't own any Glocks...nothing personal...just prefer the ergonomics of other pistols. I do like the dependability, reasonable cost and availability of their magazines...second only to AR's. A few PCC/PDW thoughts...

MP-5's...proven but older design with VERY high cost of acquisition. Set the standard...I have never owned one but am a fan generally...just not willing to pay the price with so many other cost effective and updated options.

I'm interested in a short barreled .357M lever action...just something about it.

I think M1C's are so cool even if not technically a PCC. Just not sure I want to trust my life to one unless I had a constant supply of new OEM magazines...especially with so many modern and updated options. (10mm wold be a good alternative IMHO.) I am amazed that no one has developed a modern PCC in this round...I think it would do very well.

LOVED my Berretta CX4 Storm in 9mm but it was quite bulky, difficult to personalize and less discreet to hide conceal. 16" barrel only unless SBR'd after the fact. I am amazed that Beretta hasn't really altered it to adapt to the times. Reasonably priced normally. Available in multiple magazine configurations & cailbers (9mm, 40 S&W & 45 ACP)...mine used 92 & Px4 magazines that interchanged with my pistols. However, it was lawless in form and function over several thousand rounds and more accurate than it had a right t be at 100 yards. I seriously regret selling & may replace if things settle down.

PS90...5.7x28. So cool, small, reliable VERY high capacity...up to 100 rnds stacked and reversed, very proprietary, VERY hard to reload for...reliably, not many AM options, meh trigger. Did I say cool factor...fun to shoot? Normally higher priced & less available ammo than most other options. Very high cost of acquisition. Great sister pistols but also high priced. Great penetration. It was sold & outside of a range toy probably wouldn't consider one again. Pain to SBR...better to buy as a SBR.

CZ Scorpion...pistol, SPR or PCC rifle, large and heavy if the latter. 9mm Love it but it has pros & cons mostly pros. A tad heavier than some other options...I will never sell. Proprietary magazines are the main drawback...kinda wished it used Glock's. That said, I hear there are other firearms using their magazines and their are aftermarket magazine manufacturers...OEM is still reasonably priced compared to others. HUGE aftermarket following. NON-reciprocating left side charging handle.

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in 9mm & 40 S&W (& 45 ACP). Available in S&W, Beretta, & Glock magazine configurations. This is one of the most safe to keep essentially loaded (for kids in the home) in a folded configuration. VERY concealable, accurate and reliable in my experience. The 40 S&W has a surprising amount of snap to it with it's primitive stock butt & blowback design...but I wouldn't ever sell it. LOTS of capacity & impact. Decent AM offerings. I prefer the 2nd Gen. Annoying reciprocating charging handle in the buffer tube...a beard grabber. This is a 16 rifle, don't see the point of SBR...if you could.

My favorite of late is my Extar EP9's in 9mm...which is AR'esque (controls and buffer tube) without some of the issues of AR9 conversions. (unless you spend WAY more money.) 5.5" pistol...with brace. Great for the HD or truck as well as a seriously fun gun. (I believe Honest Outlaw is a huge fan as well.) Next to the Beretta, it is the softest & smoothest shooting of all the PCC/PDW's I have shot so far. It has a reputation of being dead nutz reliable and accurate for what it is. Mostly polymer which is actually better than I had thought as I reflect on it more and more. Stellar customer service and reliability ratings. Super light compared to most. Few rust points, left side NON-reciprocating charging handle, TRUE non-magazine related last round hold open, AR controls, uses Glock magazines, drop free, great trigger & ergonomics...the foregrip is a bit proprietary but sufficient. Easier to disassemble than AR's but very similar. Priced right at $500 landed WITH a brace & compensator. I highly recommend this to the average guy as well as those who even have extra to spend. Currently only available due to demand as a 9mm but are made in 40 S&W, 45 ACP & 10mm. I missed the boat on one in 10mm as they are currently suspended to maintain the 9mm demand...but will add one when available. They are a bit hard to get as they sell directly from the manufacture...in 30 minutes or less when available.

Lastly, I SOOO wished I could find a currently available PCC in 22 TCM. WAY more capable than most realize. I love this cartridge and even have a custom CZ 527 in it.

Just my own personal observations, thoughts and feedback...worth what you paid for them.

Last edited:
Guns in general are a hell of a lot like trucks and motorcycles with beauty being in the eye of the beholder. If my dogs had faces as ugly as some of the gun images I have seen posted I would shave their butts and walk them backwards.

One of my favorite rifles I had my mom buy me as a kid and I repaid my parents. It's a Ruger 44 Carbine. It's short and handy and for hunting states like West Virginia where in over 20 years I only got one shot over 100 yards it was ideal. I hunted W. VA. because here in Ohio till recently deer hunting was limited to muzzle loaders or shotgun with a slug like many other states.

Many states have recently opened hunting with rifles using straight wall cartridges which includes a heck of a lot of so called PCC guns including semi-automatic rifles. Rifles like the Marlin Camp guns and Ruger PC Carbines not to mention the High Point guns which are a pleasure to shoot.

Anyway I figure to each their own to include guns, trucks and motorcycles. :)

Ron

Wilson Combat seems to manufacture a nice carbine, yet it sadly is only available in 9mm.
It seems my best choice so far for premium-quality carbine in .40 S&W is CMMG Banshee.
Any other ideas for a really good one in .40 S&W?

Let me start with definitions. PCC (pistol caliber carbine) as i am using it here refers to semiauto rifle-styled guns. Most of the guns in this category will be braced or unbraced pistols, or SBRs chambered in a pistol caliber, or AR’s with either a pistol or rifle length barrel chambered in a pistol caliber. I don’t include lever guns of any kind in this category.

So, with that out of the way, let me acknowledge that PCCs are all the rage. Seems like all the gun reviews on you tube are touting these, lots of manufacturers are getting into the game (Ruger, CZ, HK, and many others). So they have to be selling like hot cakes.

But i don’t get it. They don’t have a lot of practical value. I’ve tried them, and frankly if I’m going to be shouldering a gun that size, i see no point in a pistol caliber. I’d prefer my 300 blackout braced pistol every time.
I guess for competition it allows shooters to shoot steel without damaging targets, but other than that i don’t see the point.

If they are not shouldered (and most are sold without pistol braces) then they are very unwieldy. If they are shouldered, why not just have the extra effectiveness of a rifle caliber?

I realize that guns like this are featured on lots of popular video games. Is that the reason for the demand? Because from a real world practicality standpoint, i don’t see their purpose or appeal. Thoughts?

Sometimes I am just astonished by folks who come to such conclusions, there is nothing, absolutely nothing more pragmatic than a handy carbine chambered in exactly the same caliber you carry on your hip, 9mm, .40, .45. .38/.357, .44 spl/.44 mag, how someone could fail to identify the so very obvious is really rather astonishing, to say the least!

/\/\/\

I am with you, Death-Ninja.
My parents are quite elderly and my mom thinks their "his and her" pair of revolvers are maybe becoming too much to handle.

I think she and my dad would love a .38 Special carbine.
It would make life easier and certainly still be a formidable way to protect a home.

Christmas is coming along soon. Maybe an early gift to them!
As mentioned on previous page I'm thinking about CMMG Banshee for myself in .40 S&W.

Wilson Combat seems to manufacture a nice carbine, yet it sadly is only available in 9mm.
It seems my best choice so far for premium-quality carbine in .40 S&W is CMMG Banshee.
Any other ideas for a really good one in .40 S&W?
Check out the Justright Carbine. Available in 9mm, .40, 10mm, and .45 ACP. It’s also modular, uses AR15 FCG, configurable, and has conversion kits for the different calibers available. They are built like tanks and work very well. The only negative is no bolt hold open on last round fired.

Thank you for the tip very much, @jetinteriorguy. JRC looks like a solid company!
I am exploring their website and looking at various carbine models already.

AS noted previously, I currently have PCC's in Kel-Tec, CZ and most recently an Extar...have owned several others. I am thoroughly impressed with the Extar for 1/3 the price of my Scorpion! Very smooth and soft shooting. So much so, I bought another & have had 7 friends acquire one as well. All have been satisfied. Might want to check them out too...

Back