Alaska The Last Frontier

I like the show. one of the few my wife will watch with me. Sure beets the lifetime channel. Love Eve. They are happy go lucky and hard working people that caught a break and have to go with what the producers tell them to. I know they are related to the singer from Iceland, jewel. I believe otts also had some type of singing career.

Jewel the singer is not from Iceland...she is from Alaska and her last name is Kilcher - she is Atz's daughter.

I generally like the show - most of the hunting shots are pretty decent but some of the hunting episodes this year have made me cringe a bit as well. Reality is that they are primarily farmers, hunters out of necessity but not necessarily finely practiced marksmen.

Last edited:
alaska

not a deer hunter but how many of you take a shot at a running deer or any animal at what looks like 150-200 yards away?

Question; what do they use to get all the power equipment, tractors, welders, backhoes, atvs and all the other toys they play with? How do they pay for the fuel these toys use?

I watch the show. As someone else said about their wife watching it, mine is the same. This is one show she will watch. Plenty of it is interesting, just how they live off the land and help each other out.

Jane scares the crap out of me when she has a gun in her hands. The episode where she got scoped I was watching her get set and I said to my wife, this is going to end badly. She wasn't even shouldering the rifle correctly.

The episode recently where 4 of them went deer hunting....How the heck do you fly to a place 150 miles away from home and NOT carry enough bullets? I get that they aren't 10 minutes from the sporting goods store, but really. They trade and barter for stuff and obviously have money coming in from the show. There is no reason that they didn't have at least a box of ammo per person.

" I get that they aren't 10 minutes from the sporting goods store,"
Maybe more than 10 minutes but most likely no further from a store than I. I've studied the lay-out on Google maps and I'll just say the camera guys have to be pretty careful(or the scenes edited) to prevent "non-frontierish" back drops.

Atz Kilcher is not a poor fellow. How many people own all that equipment that they have? All that said, I still watch it because I enjoy the scenery and the kinds of problems they have are real kinds of problems that one might face in Alaska on a homestead. The stuff about starving is mostly BS as far as I'm concerned for Atz or his sons. If things got tough, they'd just fly in some food.

The hunting portions of the show is a bit much. They are not really hunters, but they hunt. I believe the scope thing was real and I knew precisely what was going to happen the way she was holding the rifle. Her hubby was a butt for allowing her to shoot like that.

Atz is a millionaire...something to do with his singing daughter.

The rumor is the Bush people stay at a lodge during non-filming hours
and get $12k apiece for every episode.

I spent 22 years in Alaska, the first two, in a 12X18 cabin I built (squatting on Rail Road Land), no electricity or running water.

I spent a great deal of time in the Villages along the Bering Sea in Western Alaska living with these people.

I've seen the Alaska shows. Last Frontier, Bush People, Life below zero, Yukon men....................none of these shows are any where close to what it really like.

For example, the closest is Yukon Men.............but again, take the stories about people panicking when they find a black bear at the dump.......the world is gonna end, the bears are gonna eat all the kids.

Go to Alaska, every town dump in Alaska is crawling with bears, yet not that many kids are eaten.

It the shows were any where close to reality, I'd go back there and get rich teaching the idiots how to shoot.

Kraig, if the shows were real, you would not get rich teaching them how to shoot. You would get a pile of bartered stuff you have little use for, but not rich.:D

As I said before, Chip's part of "Life Below Zero" is as real as can be within the problems of filming, and making lengthy events into short segments. He's posted probably over a hundred photos at THR, going back to well before the TV thing began.

The rumor is the Bush people stay at a lodge during non-filming hours and get $12k apiece for every episode.

Funny. The staying in a lodge would not surprise me. I know they are all paid for the show. One of my favorite scenes is the kids (if you want to call the kids) gorging on pizza. I wondered where they got the money and then assumed the show staff bought it for them.

The handyman episode where the boys were fixing up that lady's cabin was humorous. I wouldn't hire a handy man without tools.

I would probably be concerned about bears too if I was building a cabin where they are building one and living in those "shelters". They never really overly dramatized the bear thing. I wouldn't shoot them, but I would pay attention. Bear is a trip. Kind of strange actually.

The shooting (shots fired) thing was all made up in the previous season in my opinion. They just wanted to end the show. The location was all wrong for any kind of show beyond building the cabin.

I suspect the sunk boat was also contrived for the show.

take the stories about people panicking when they find a black bear at the dump.......the world is gonna end, the bears are gonna eat all the kids.

LOL! Funny you mention that. I was watching with my wife and told her that it was highly dramatized for TV, and that no self respecting Alaskan would freak out and run around to "warn" the neighbors there was a black bear around. Its Alaska. They're alwasy around. It reminded of last year when a couple young spring boars showed up around here, where they are rare, and everybody freaked out and locked thier kids in the house.

And that woman who is hunting, and looked like she had never been on a hunt of any kind before.

"Does Chip shoot any better than the crowd on Alaska The Last Frontier?"

His wife and daughters apparently do. They manage to eat, all winter long.

It is my understanding that Chip is not allowed to shoot at this point. He had some problems with the Alaska Troopers that hasn't been resolved yet. Being non native, he probably has some restrictions on what he can do concerning wildlife that wouldn't effect his wife.

Back